My birthday is comin up in a week or 2 and i was thinking aobut getting some new pickups. I'm looking for like a Mastodon type tone, The Agony Scene, All That Remains, Lamb of God, stuff like that. And Adam's tone for TOOL (I love that guys tone with a fiery passion). I do not want active pickups, ive tried the EMG 81/85 set and wasn't impressed as much as I thought I would be. I'm not getting a new amp because I just bought a Mesa Mark IV and a Vader cab but im still waiting for them to arrive here. I was looking at SD Invaders or a JB in the bridge. Then a SD 59' in the neck position. Anyone know if these will suit me well for what I'm looking for? Or any other options that are better? Thanks!
Standard, Custom or Special?
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Why not play the amp first and see how it sounds?

Why upgrade pickups for a "heavier sound" if you don't even have the amp?

Just wait awhile, but upgrading the wiring and getting a good nut will always help your sound.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
its a standard epi les paul. And I brought my guitar into the store and tried it on the same amp but it was used, I liked it a lot but i know it would sound better with some other pickups cause i tried out some other guitars and they sounded a bit better, but i forget what pickups they had in them
wait till your amp arrives and see how you want your pickups to influence its tone and gain.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 31, 2007,
Yeah, get the amp first before deciding on pickups.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild