For $650. It's a head. AA864 version. It's been retubed a few years back, but is otherwise original. Is this a great deal? Is the retubing a deal breaker in terms of it being a kickass vintage amp? Thanks.
Quote by Twist of fate
cool. Ever get head from a stuffed animal?

Quote by casualty01
Say hello to your new warden, bitches!
Quote by Masamune
I love you
No, I would hope any 40 year old amp has been retubed. Sounds like a good deal.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Tell whoever it is that's selling it that you would take it right now for $700. Though if you didn't know anything about retubing, I wouldn't consider you getting a vintage tube head.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
How much is it worth? Is it really that good for being vintage?
Quote by Twist of fate

Quote by casualty01
Quote by Masamune
I love you
Quote by rosswigley89
How much is it worth? Is it really that good for being vintage?

It's a Pre CBS Bassman. Do some research dammit.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by rhcp_freak
Tell whoever it is that's selling it that you would take it right now for $700. Though if you didn't know anything about retubing, I wouldn't consider you getting a vintage tube head.

Why would he offer more than the asking price?

Wtf?

TS, go for it, I regularly play through a silver face Bassman head (not as good as this one you're looking at) and it is heavenly.

My friend has a 60's Bassman head, and it sound awesome, you can't go wrong.

These are amazing amps, and that is a pretty fair price, get it, and keep in mind you'll need a cab, but I'd be willing to wait awhile to hear an amp like that
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
You could sell that for a little more than one thousand. How's the tolex ? Maybe consider a pro-cap job if it hasn't before.
^That would also depend on how much it's been used- if it's going this cheap I'm guessing not much.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
A little more than a thousand? So, it's the combo version that's worth a great deal? I don't have a cab currently. My other option is a $550 2000 Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401. It's in great condition. That would be a better amp for me NOW, but I understand old Bassman's are worth a chunk. I thought more than $1000, though.

Is the difference in tone really that great compared to a reissue Bassman, or a Supersonic? Is this really that great a deal, as compared to the DSL? Thanks.
Quote by Twist of fate

Quote by casualty01
Quote by Masamune
I love you
Quote by rosswigley89
A little more than a thousand? So, it's the combo version that's worth a great deal? I don't have a cab currently. My other option is a $550 2000 Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401. It's in great condition. That would be a better amp for me NOW, but I understand old Bassman's are worth a chunk. I thought more than $1000, though.

Is the difference in tone really that great compared to a reissue Bassman, or a Supersonic? Is this really that great a deal, as compared to the DSL? Thanks.

HA!

Of course, a 64 Bassman is like a holy-grail of awesome but affordable amps, a DSL 401 is a mediocre modern amp that people buy to play in their bedrooms

Now, the BassMan won't sound like the Marshall, but it will have very nice overdrive, and will work great with any pedals (distortion or otherwise) you want to use.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

The DSL is a completely different amp.

But you could buy the bassman and turn around and resell it right away and get a better one.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
How much should I be able to get for the Bassman? The guy is willing to sell it to me. In the pictures, it looks like it's in pretty good shape. A little scruffy, but good. It's black. Thanks.
Quote by Twist of fate

Quote by casualty01
Quote by Masamune
I love you
Quote by hamish5178
Why would he offer more than the asking price?

Wtf?

TS, go for it, I regularly play through a silver face Bassman head (not as good as this one you're looking at) and it is heavenly.

My friend has a 60's Bassman head, and it sound awesome, you can't go wrong.

These are amazing amps, and that is a pretty fair price, get it, and keep in mind you'll need a cab, but I'd be willing to wait awhile to hear an amp like that

So that the seller would sell it to him quicker, without thinking about other customers.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by rosswigley89
How much should I be able to get for the Bassman? The guy is willing to sell it to me. In the pictures, it looks like it's in pretty good shape. A little scruffy, but good. It's black. Thanks.

Why don't you want the BassMan, like I keep telling you (and you aren't listening) it's an amazing amp, you won't get much more if you sell it, it's not like you won the lottery.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

Quote by hamish5178
Why don't you want the BassMan, like I keep telling you (and you aren't listening) it's an amazing amp, you won't get much more if you sell it, it's not like you won the lottery.

To be honest, I don't like the tone of Bassmans so much. I prefer the sound of the more trebly Fender amps. Not to say I don't appreciate a Bassman. I can't crank the ****er, though. Not even close. I just hate to put off getting a nice little combo amp that could cover more bases, really.

I suppose I should get this amp. I'll have to wait a while until I can even get a cab, though. Thanks guys. Any more commentary/advice is greatly appreciated.
Quote by Twist of fate

Quote by casualty01
Quote by Masamune
I love you
If you don't want it, get it and then ask to trade it for one of the fenders that you would like- I'm sure you could find someone willing to.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
What kind of cab should I get for it? What would a good cab cost? Can I attenuate this sucker without causing issues?
Quote by Twist of fate

Quote by casualty01
Quote by Masamune
I love you
Quote by rosswigley89
What kind of cab should I get for it? What would a good cab cost? Can I attenuate this sucker without causing issues?

Course you can. Maybe get a nice cab with Jensens? I've heard that Jensen's are used with most Fender amps.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by Twist of fate

Quote by casualty01
Quote by Masamune
I love you
Last edited by rosswigley89 at Jul 31, 2007,
The Vox cabinet has some awesome speakers in it - they're pretty much the same as the Celestion G12 Century Vintage. I wouldn't go for either of the others - if it doesn't say what speaker they use, odds are they're not brilliant.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
The Vox cabinet has some awesome speakers in it - they're pretty much the same as the Celestion G12 Century Vintage. I wouldn't go for either of the others - if it doesn't say what speaker they use, odds are they're not brilliant.

Yeah, pretty much what Mr Carrot said.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
I wouldn't do the vox ones- they've basically got vintage 30s in them, which aren't the best for vintage or low gain applications.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
Quote by hamish5178
Now, the BassMan won't sound like the Marshall, but it will have very nice overdrive, and will work great with any pedals (distortion or otherwise) you want to use.

Hook it up to a Marshall cab, and you'd be surprised how much it sounds like Marshall.

As for cabs, I think that head has a 4 ohm output, making it a tough match for conventional modern cabs. You may want to get a 16 ohm cab and re-wire it to 4 ohms, or maybe go with a company like Avatar and have them put one together for you, custom.

I agree on the Jensens, although Greenbacks might be nice.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I don't want to pay more than $400 MAX for a cabinet. If I'm going to pay that kind of money, I might as well just get a Fender Supersonic or a Peavey JSX new.
Quote by Twist of fate

Quote by casualty01
Quote by Masamune
I love you
Quote by rosswigley89
I don't want to pay more than $400 MAX for a cabinet. If I'm going to pay that kind of money, I might as well just get a Fender Supersonic or a Peavey JSX new.

Damn, the Bassman is just so much sweeter....

You're killin' me.

Anyway... Check out Avatar Speakers. They'll sell you a traditional 2x12 with your choice of Vintage 30s, G12H30s, G12T75s, Greenbacks, Classic Lead 80s, Hellatone 30s, or Hellatone 60s in your choice of a 4 ohm cab, 8 ohm cab, 16 ohm cab, stereo cab or mono cab, for under $400 shipped.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
^Really? I assumed that the Supersonic was probably pretty close to a Bassman or a Vibrolux for its two models. I guess it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that I'm getting the Bassman. If I am going to get a nice cab, do you think Avatar is the way to go?
Quote by Twist of fate

Quote by casualty01
Quote by Masamune
I love you
Definatly look into a avatar vintage 212 or 412 if you have the money. There great cabs!
^ Thanks guys.

One last, important question: build quality. Should I be confident that this amp is well put together, and should hold up? It's be retubed a few years back and rebiased. I now have the possible option of getting the same ****ing amp (SAME ****ING YEAR EVEN) for probably the same price. How should I procede?
Quote by Twist of fate

Quote by casualty01
Quote by Masamune
I love you
It sounds to me like it's not the amp you want and you're getting caught up in a good deal. Sometimes you have to walk away.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
^ It should do fine. I'm more into the jangly, trebly Fender sound, but this would be fine. If nothing else, I can sell/trade it no problem. It's probably going to take a couple different amps to satisfy my tonal needs anyways, so I might as well get something good and affordable now, while I can.

I can always attenuate it and put pedals in front of it.
Quote by Twist of fate

Quote by casualty01
Quote by Masamune
I love you
Quote by rosswigley89
^ It should do fine. I'm more into the jangly, trebly Fender sound, but this would be fine. If nothing else, I can sell/trade it no problem. It's probably going to take a couple different amps to satisfy my tonal needs anyways, so I might as well get something good and affordable now, while I can.

I can always attenuate it and put pedals in front of it.

Good point. I just thought I'd say, I've done that kinda thing before and regretted it.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
^ Yeah, I did that a couple days ago with a bodybuilding supplement. BIG mistake, $35 pissed away. Literally actually... haha.

What would it mean for a Bassman to have been serviced with "new caps and a three prong cord" SOMEONE ANSWER QUICK PLEASE

Also, would it be a problem to have a vintage amp shipped 2000 miles across the northern United States? Tubes rattling, etc.?
Quote by Twist of fate

Quote by casualty01
Quote by Masamune
I love you
Quote by rosswigley89
What would it mean for a Bassman to have been serviced with "new caps and a three prong cord" SOMEONE ANSWER QUICK PLEASE

Also, would it be a problem to have a vintage amp shipped 2000 miles across the northern United States? Tubes rattling, etc.?

That's definetly a good thing. It means you have new capacitors (old ones falter after a while), and a grounded cord, which is a REALLLY good thing. I know a guy who has a 1964 vox and it only has a two prong cord, so the metal parts of his guitar give off an electrical field, and when you touch or get close enough to him or the guitar, it shocks you, which is definetly NOT a good thing.

I'd trust the shipping personally. The shipping company's job is to get it to you in good condition.
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
Home-Built Germanium Fuzz Face
MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
2 Fender Blues Juniors
^ Thanks so much man. Greatly appreciated.
Quote by Twist of fate

Quote by casualty01
Quote by Masamune
I love you
Quote by rosswigley89
^Really? I assumed that the Supersonic was probably pretty close to a Bassman or a Vibrolux for its two models. I guess it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that I'm getting the Bassman. If I am going to get a nice cab, do you think Avatar is the way to go?

I actually like the Supersonic, but it's model of a Bassman pales in comparison to the real thing.

As for Avatar, it's not like they're the greatest cabs or anything, but they're a good fit for you because they're decent quality on a budget. Plus, they'll wire it up for 4 ohms for you (I'm pretty sure that's what you need), which is difficult to find new.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Last edited by slatsmania at Jul 31, 2007,
Quote by slatsmania
Hook it up to a Marshall cab, and you'd be surprised how much it sounds like Marshall.

As for cabs, I think that head has a 4 ohm output, making it a tough match for conventional modern cabs. You may want to get a 16 ohm cab and re-wire it to 4 ohms, or maybe go with a company like Avatar and have them put one together for you, custom.

I agree on the Jensens, although Greenbacks might be nice.

do bassmans have as much gain as marshalls? like a plexi, cause werent plexis based off the bassman?
Quote by thrice07
do bassmans have as much gain as marshalls? like a plexi, cause werent plexis based off the bassman?

They're very similar. The Bassman's different than most Fenders. It's got a deeper, throatier tone to it. Marshall altered the design for what was available in Britain, EL34's instead of 6L6's, Celestions instead of Jensens, etc. One difference is that I believe the Bassman originally had a 12AT7 in the preamp, which is cleaner than a 12AX7. Swap it out, and you add a little gain right there. But like I said, you put an old Bassman head on top of a quality Marshall cab, it's gonna sound quite a bit like a Marshall.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
They're very similar. The Bassman's different than most Fenders. It's got a deeper, throatier tone to it. Marshall altered the design for what was available in Britain, EL34's instead of 6L6's, Celestions instead of Jensens, etc. One difference is that I believe the Bassman originally had a 12AT7 in the preamp, which is cleaner than a 12AX7. Swap it out, and you add a little gain right there. But like I said, you put an old Bassman head on top of a quality Marshall cab, it's gonna sound quite a bit like a Marshall.

oh thanks alot for the info