Does anyone know of any companies that currently make Rickenbacker bass copies? Any of the 4000's? A company named Electra use to make one, but were bought and dont exist anymore. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Quote by Ed Hunter
Rickenbastard
Don't be so rude.

But onto the main point of the thread. It doesn't seem that Rickenbacker copies would exist. Rickenbacker's are quite unique in there tone, specifically for there pickup configuration and all maple construction. I"m probably less educated on these matters then others, but that's my opinon.
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

I once heard that Rickenbacker as a company are very protective of their designs, and aggressively pursue companies trying to emulate them... much moreso than other well known brands.

That could make finding Rick copies difficult.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Ed Hunter
Rickenbastard

Isn't that Lemmy's bass?

And a company called Rockinsbetter make Rickenbacker copies, I have heard that they aren't bad either, they are made in the Tokai factory which churns out some pretty decent copies.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Tokai also make Ric copies, or at least they used to.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
There are "rockinsbetter" rickenbacker copies as previously mentioned, you can find some at the basscentre in london or on their website if you live in England.

Rickenbacker is very protective though, apparently copies are removed from ebay even if they dont actually say "Rickenbacker" at all in the description,ect.

I'm pretty sure there was a point where loads of different manufacturers made loads of different copies, Tokai and Ibanez had reputations for making basses which some though matched the standards of the originals. It could be difficult to find but its worth looking around.

But i'm alright because i have a lovely 4003, muahahah.
Last edited by TheHatta at Jul 31, 2007,
They're illegal nowadays. Best you can hope for is a cheap 2nd hand one. You wont find them on ebay either. Rickenbacker petitions ebay to remove all listings that say 'Rickenbacker copy'
Liberation Minister of the UK Price War Army. PM Felkara to join

Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
You idiot....you set your hair on fire for a dollar.

Did you buy some intelligence afterwards??
Quote by Caustic
I once heard that Rickenbacker as a company are very protective of their designs, and aggressively pursue companies trying to emulate them... much moreso than other well known brands.

That could make finding Rick copies difficult.

i have heard the same about Rickenbacker, and considering how many companies don't make them, leads me to believe it's probably true. good luck!
You can find some by Greco Tokai even Ibanez on eBay.

They can't be advertise as Ric copies though.

If you want a contemporary relatively easy to find instrument that is rick-ish, the Schecter 004 I believe looks kinda like a Ric. Wouldn't sound like one though.

Your best bet is one of those old 70's copies. They'll run between 400-600, closer nowadays to the latter as they're fairly sought after. Rickenbacker is VERY protective of their instruments, going so far as even to almost cutting Sam Ash off as a Rick dealer because they didn't follow international rules (Selling Rics to people in Europe and shipping them over), and completely cutting off GC because they felt GC's general policy of "Play whatever you want" lead the Rics to falling out of the quality they possessed as they left the factory.

Rickenbacker isn't too focused on churning out hundreds of thousands of instruments a year. They're quite happy being an American company with somewhere in the range of a few hundred employees working in a shop, instead of a mass produced factory. Not that there is ANYTHING wrong with mass producing, when done right (EBMM domestically, and even the quality found in Korean Laklands).
haha
Your best bet if you wanted one would be to try and find a second hand one on ebay, you can sometimes find 4001s for the same price as the 4003s and you can find colours which aren't available anymore.

If you live in America, chances are you can get them quite cheap, when compared with the prices of the european ones.

Quote by MetalUpTheAss

Rickenbacker isn't too focused on churning out hundreds of thousands of instruments a year. They're quite happy being an American company with somewhere in the range of a few hundred employees working in a shop, instead of a mass produced factory.

Yeah, it takes them about 3 weeks apparently to do a bass. I think the Ric CEO once said that the company was 3% the size of Fender, or it might of been Gibson, something like that.

Rickenbacker is managing a huge backorder at the moment, dealing with all the "blueburst" models. Some people have had to wait over 2 years when theyve ordered direct from Rickenbacker.
Yeah Ibanez made one back in the day. That "lawsuit" era. Chances are the price is going to be within range of a used Ric 4003. Hardcore Ibanez fans are crazy.