Poll: tube >/< half stack
Poll Options
View poll results: tube >/< half stack
tube
49 92%
half stack
4 8%
Voters: 53.
ok, so ive got about 800 dollars to spend... and as some of you may have saw over in electric guitar, my main guitars are a 335 copy from the seventies and a washburn x25.

i would like to get a whole new rig- ive got about enough for a epi les paul standard/or/michael kelly patriot and a crate half stack...

but from the posts i read in the thread over there, i should just get an amp ????

so basically im looking for a cheap(ish) tube amp (c.$600)

or should i get a half stack and a new guitar... ????

/basically i just want help either finding a good tube amp around 600(us) or to be convinced that my first decision to get a half stack and a new guitar...
what on earth are you on about...you do NOT need a half stack, especially if it is not tube. you should look into some decent tube combos for that amount, what style of music do you play?
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Hmm, my suggestion is to tube it. I have that cheap crate halfstack, and I love it to death, because it suits my needs fine, but you'll end up being happier with the tube.
MY RIG:

Gibson Explorer '73 reissue, Classic White
Schecter Blackjack S1
Crate Stack

Thats noise violation in a box!
The rule that really ought to be universal:

Good tone > High volume. The half-stack may be bigger, have more speakers, look cooler, but the tube combo will make you sound immeasurably better.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by TonyRandall
blues/60-80s rock/a little alt./a little blues and funk

I'd say the combo in general, but for your styles it's an absolute no brainer. Tube combo all the way!
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
alright...anyone reccomend a good cheapish tube combo...

and also... ive never messed with a tube amp... i played throught one at a talent show this year because my amp sucks... but maintenance (sp?) on them i have no clue about, e.g. how often to chance tubes, ect...
Tube combos man, plus it's easier to gig with
Fender Standard Telecaster
Peavey Envoy 110
Boss DS-1 EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone Behringer DD400 Digital Delay
Digitech Bad Monkey
dont worry, unless you blow one, or it's faulty (which isn't common) valves last about 2 years or so.

how cheap is cheapish?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by TonyRandall
alright...anyone reccomend a good cheapish tube combo...

and also... ive never messed with a tube amp... i played throught one at a talent show this year because my amp sucks... but maintenance (sp?) on them i have no clue about, e.g. how often to chance tubes, ect...

Fender Blues Jr sounds like it'd suit you. Or maybe one of the Crate Palomino series, I'm going on Slats' advice on the crate, I've never played one myself.

You only need to change tubes once every couple of year, unless they break. And they're tougher than people make out.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
^ Very good, British vintage-ly voiced- I've never played one extensively so i can't tell you if it would suit what you play...
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by TonyRandall
what about the epi valve junior...

You want at least 15W for jams/gigs, but 30's better. The Blues Jr is a decent choice, but the Crate V32 for $500 is an excellent value. You really don't want to cheap out on your amp. A 30-40W tube amp you buy today could be your amp for a lifetime if you wanted.

Buying used is always clever, too. You could find a Peavey Classic 30 or Fender Hot Rod for under $400 without much problem.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
if you want something that looks like its old, you can get a tweed/blonde fender hot rod or peavey classic 30. i would look for one of those on ebay or craigslist. and since you want it to look old, one with some cosmetic damage would be nice (especially since it will also be cheaper).
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Blues-Deluxe-Reissue-40W-1x12-Combo-Amp?sku=483718

one of those would kick ass, but you obviously need to look used for one. It really would nail your genres though. If you cant find a used one in budget, then look at the fender blues junior, or a crate. I would suggest the blues deluxe first, then a crate v32. 15 watts isnt much headroom, the v32 would be perfect wattage though, low enough to break up nicely but high enough to keep your cleans clean.
Quote by Luke200420

Is this double post a question? A statement?

The VK is pretty lifeless for a tube amp. If you're looking to save money, either look at the Crate Palominos, or look used. That's my advice.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
How abouts an Orange Tiny Terror & PPC112 Cab?

Thats kinda like a bit of both. I don't have 1 yet ... i'm getting one in september ... but they are getting rave reviews.

They are coming in at about £500 - i think thats about $1000 but you could save money by getting a different cab rather than an Orange one. The head on its own is £300 ($550).
Quote by philjay
*Picks up TT like handbag and smacks you over the head like an angry granny *
Try that with your rocker 30

Latest Songs & Poems

[thread="1404112"] Blaze (Music)[/thread]
[thread="1207211"] Evening Sunshine (Music)[/thread]
[thread="899566"] To Wonder (Music)[/thread]
[thread="960046"]Dreams[/thread]