This way I wouldn't need to downtune for my band and tune back to regular for lessons.
I don't think it's that long to tune down.
Quote by Slicendice

stop using UG as a search engine.

I guarantee that google will be 10x more helpfull and loving.
No way. Start with a six string and maybe purchase a second seven-string guitar for your band.
Hmm, I don't see anything wrong with doing that. Might be a bit strange switching to regular 6 string.
It's probably smarter to start with a six-string. And tuning takes a minute at most if you know how to do it. Maybe get a chromatic tuner to make things a little easier.
yea i think u should start with a 6 string. it will kinda mess u up and all. also there rather expensive. if ur just starting out i recommend a 6 string but like its up 2 u
why would starting with a 7 string be bad?

you're still learning the mechanics and the right techniques.

I don't particularly see why you shouldn't. the wide neck will make it even harder to get used than a 6 string but once you master it you'll be just fine.

you'll be learning the same things you'll just have an extra string and a bit of a wider neck so it wont necessarily put you at a disadvantage.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Thanks for the fast replies! I have yet to buy my first guitar, I have no experience either. I'm gonna lend a RG (6-string in open C) from a friend first. After that, I will try some others at the shop, including 7-strings.

I think downtuning has its own shortcomings. I quite have my eye on the Ibanez S-series: they have ZR tremolo: downtuning with trems suck right? Also, notes change place on the fretboard and I would freak out if this happened on my synth/piano (note->place memory is important). I think I'd prefer to mute the lowest string when necessary. Also I'd rather have 1 do-it-all than 2 guitars; both options are as expensive.
I think the real question here is, why do you have a band before you can play guitar. Learn guitar, play for a while, get good, then start a band. Not start a band then play guitar.
brnh.bandcamp.com
I play ze synths, program the drums, do production/mixing. I got quite a lot experience with all of that. With guitar, not so much. But I want to invent more of the riffs and with playing out the guitar should be more fun than hide behind a rack of synths.
Go with the six, that way at impromptu jamming session you won't get confused to hell when you pick up a 'normal' guitar
I wanna grow up to be a debaser