After playing bass for 4 years you'd think I'd have figured it out by now, but I haven't. What's the difference between an active EQ and active pickups? I was looking into a Schecter Stiletto and it has EMG Hz pickups, which are passive. However, it still takes a battery. I don't quite understand.
Active EQ means you have an onboard EQ so you can actively change the tone on board rather than using the amp.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
That sucks, because I don't want a bass with a battery. However, if I just don't replace the battery, it'll stop producing sound, right? I'd love to be able to keep the tonal options without the requirement of a 9v battery. =/
And active pickups use battery power, which means that the pickups require less windings to produce a strong enough signal. This results in a more "cleaner" signal.
Quote by Hergiswi
That sucks, because I don't want a bass with a battery. However, if I just don't replace the battery, it'll stop producing sound, right? I'd love to be able to keep the tonal options without the requirement of a 9v battery. =/

As a good precaution, get a bass pre-amp with an active/passive switch. It has saved my life once.
Quote by shut_up_you_***
As a good precaution, get a bass pre-amp with an active/passive switch. It has saved my life once.

+1 I have oen on my Lakland and it's great if you end up with a dodgy battery or you just want to revert to passive tone, but be aware that it will sound quieter in passive mode and you get no EQ options.
Founder of Jaco society

Honestly, I don't really know what a pre-amp is. My band conductor who taught me bass never actually taught about what anything is. =/

If I plugged into a passive setting, would that kill the tonal possibilities entirely? I love the sound of Streetlight's bassist who I believe uses a Schecter Stiletto, but I dunno if I could acquire that tone without the active setting.
Also the battery needs replacing only once a year MAYBE. If you always unplug your bass even longer. And yes an active EQ is when you can change the frequency boosting and active pickups are when the pickups are boosted slightly. As S_U_Y_*** said a good idea is a bass with an active/passive pull/push knob and always carrying a spare 9 volt (or two if it's an 18 volt circuit) and you're golden.

EDIT: A pre-amp is the stuff that changes the tone of your bass before being amplified. For example, you can boost the bass, mid or high before it gets amplified. It also "tells" the amp how much to amplify, put simply. (Volume Knob)
Quote by Wikipedia
A preamplifier (preamp) is an electronic amplifier which precedes another amplifier to prepare an electronic signal for further amplification or processing.

Is that a bit clearer?
Founder of Jaco society

Quote by sinan90
+1 I have oen on my Lakland and it's great if you end up with a dodgy battery or you just want to revert to passive tone, but be aware that it will sound quieter in passive mode and you get no EQ options.

Factory fitted J-Retro?

Hergiswi, a pre-amp is basically an onboard amp without the amplification power to drive speakers (hence the name pre-amp. It just enables you to control EQ options on your bass rather than relying on your amp.
Quote by shut_up_you_***
Factory fitted J-Retro?

Founder of Jaco society

Ah, I see. The whole battery thing has always made me kind of paranoid. Thanks for the help everyone. I finally got a job so I actually have the chance to buy a bass of decent quality for the first time, and I don't want to mess it up. =P
Could always buy a few rechargeable 9V's? Would be cheaper in the long run i guess.

UG Mods really have no sense of humour.....

Rechargeable batteries last less time after each charge, although it would be cheaper.
Founder of Jaco society

Just trying to help out cost wise.

UG Mods really have no sense of humour.....

Rechargeables cost more to buy as well in the first place though and you need a charger for it if you don't have one. To be honest you change battery so rarely that I doubt it'll make nay difference buying rechargeable or non-rechargeable.
Founder of Jaco society

It's nice to hear that, because batteries have been a huge concern of mine. I can't explain why, but it's just bugged me. I love Stingrays and Stilettos and all sorts of active basses like that, but the battery has been a turn-off.
Yeah you really shouldn't worry about the battery. It will last very long. You just need to start worrying after its been like a year in your bass. I don't know if they sell 9 volt battery checkers though. Would be useful.

Reminds me. My battery cover is screwed on. I should make a press tab mod like on some remote controls.
Quote by joeyj123
I am in awe of your sizzling wit. please, accept this congratulatory e-cookie, and accompanying basket.
Quote by Hergiswi
It's nice to hear that, because batteries have been a huge concern of mine. I can't explain why, but it's just bugged me. I love Stingrays and Stilettos and all sorts of active basses like that, but the battery has been a turn-off.

Having 4 active basses i can tell you, i RARELY change batteries. you can tell when they need it, but a decent duracell will last a long long time. and if you get into the habit of leaving it unplugged (which you should with ANY bass) they last for at least a year of hard use!
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
^ +1 I have 2 basses with active eq and I have to change every 2 to 6 months just depends on how much i play plugged in and those are with the cheapest piece of crap batteries on earth. Get a duracell like Indie said, they last for ever
battery life on actives are crazy!! you will replace them at the most 2 times a year if you unplug the bass after use. 1 battery will last you a whole tour and then some!!

you will still need a preamp/amp if you have EQ on youre bass thogh just think of it as a more fancy tone knob that gives you a huge veriety of sounds. it will also give you more bass trebble and mid output then a traditional passive bass.
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Last edited by Emergancy Exit at Jul 31, 2007,
I bought rechargables for mine(I have that exact bass) and I think the cost is about equal unless you use just that bass for say 5 years or more. And even then I guess you would have to replace the rechargables after a while. Remember though that a 9-volt rechargable isn't actually nine volts so it won't put out quite as much power as a regular nine-volt so you might not get quite the tonal versatility you would with a regular battery....and don't forget it's 18-volt circuitry so you'll need 2 batteries every time you change them.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by EmergancyExit

you will still need a preamp/amp if you have EQ on youre bass thogh just think of it as a more fancy tone knob that gives you a huge veriety of sounds. it will also give you more bass trebble and mid output then a traditional passive bat

Actually it's good to get in the habit of setting your volume knob at %80 and your EQ at flat on your amp and then not touching it for the rest of the session. When you use your EQ on you bass it gives the closest sound to the actual core sound of your bass without leaving the EQ at flat. If you EQ too much you can start to get in the range of the "unnatural" "metallic" sounds.
Quote by Revelation
I bought rechargables for mine(I have that exact bass) and I think the cost is about equal unless you use just that bass for say 5 years or more. And even then I guess you would have to replace the rechargables after a while. Remember though that a 9-volt rechargable isn't actually nine volts so it won't put out quite as much power as a regular nine-volt so you might not get quite the tonal versatility you would with a regular battery....and don't forget it's 18-volt circuitry so you'll need 2 batteries every time you change them.

As stated before, 9 volt batteries last a long time (1 year plus) with normal use if you unplug your bass when you are not playing. However, I always make a habit to change batteries before a major performance or gig. Its just a matter of insurance, since I did have one die during a workshop and an active Ibanez in its battery death throws is nasty sounding (and not in a good way). In the true bass scout preparedness, always keep an extra set of strings and a 9volt in your case for those emergencies.

Rechargeable batteries are a mixed deal. They don't really save you alot in cost and some manufacturers do not recommend the use of them in their instruments. Check the website for your particular bass or pup manufacturer for more info and to confirm whether rechargeable are supported.