For all the years I've played electric guitar, I've always held it like a classical guitar (on left leg, at a 45 degree angle), but I've never know how to hold it like an electric guitar is supposed to.. I've tried putting the guitar on my right leg, but it just feels awkward and I can't play the higher frets properly.. I dunno if it's because I just got so used to the classical style of holding a guitar or if I just have it angled wrong, etc.. Could someone explain how, exactly, and electric guitar is supposed to be held?
i play classical style then too... on my electric more comfortable and easier access to higher frets
Setup
Shecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S2170 Prestige
Crate GT120
Ibanez Tube Screamer
Dunlop Cry Baby Original

Quote by GOD*OF*ROCK

And i was all like, no dude show me your DICK
Well the guitar's "supposed" to be held the way you're holding it- people just think putting it on the right leg looks cooler and they see most people doing it that way so they copy. It makes little sense to hold it that way though, learning to hold your guitar the classical way makes the transition from sitting to standing easier and you have better upper fret access.
thats funny, i can barely play at all sat with the guitar held classical style, probably because ive only really played stood up, or if i am sat, with it on my right knee, as i just found that easiest
Quote by Hallows_Eve
For all the years I've played electric guitar, I've always held it like a classical guitar (on left leg, at a 45 degree angle), but I've never know how to hold it like an electric guitar is supposed to.. I've tried putting the guitar on my right leg, but it just feels awkward and I can't play the higher frets properly.. I dunno if it's because I just got so used to the classical style of holding a guitar or if I just have it angled wrong, etc.. Could someone explain how, exactly, and electric guitar is supposed to be held?

unlike with a classical guitar, there are really no rules or correct approaches to holding the electric guitar, you might see many people casually with the body of the guitar resting on their right leg. however, when im sitting i like to use the classical positioning, i find it to be more comfortable, and the guitar's basically in the same position as it would be if you're standing up
I came across this thread while searching for proper technique. I just started playing the guitar (a BC Rich Bich Masterpiece) and I couldn't manage to get comfortable holding it in the "standard" electric guitar fashion that I was seeing in my instruction videos and most of the performances I saw on youtube. Rather than struggle with an uncomfortable position, I started playing with the guitar propped up on my left leg and angled up. The extra support from my left leg allows me to open up my fret hand more easily so I'm not screwing up all of my chords. I am very happy to find that this isn't "wrong."
Ive spent 3 yrs playing classical guitar and I always sit with it classical style. But I found that sitting with the guitar on the right leg is better when playing acoustic.
Electric is better standing up. I like to have the strap tighter so that its easier to reach all the notes.
For beginners holding it the way John Petrucci holds it should be the most comfortable way...

then once you get better and more comfortable with it, you can lower down yer guitar for some added style!
wow looking at that Petrucci pic that style looks realyl comfortable. In the sense that your body does all the supporting, and the thing isnt slack(the strap) so basically your hands are free to do what playing is about: playing the actual guitar rather than holding still/supporting the guitar lower down :S

but yeah i've been playing my electric and acoustic on the right leg, I've just always known/seen pplz to do it thta way so i tried it. Tbh at times it gets uncomfortable, but i've been varying chairs, where i sit : eg on top of the bed or actuall with my legs over the side, and yeah I've found nothign wrong with the right leg if i find the right sitting spot. Atm im thinking my old school study chair(which i replaced with a luxurious big ass leather chair) actually owns the new luxury chair. So now i have two chairs in my room, the basic student chair with the little rectangle back support, no arm rests, and it works wonders. I just need a little guitar adjustable foot thingy for my right leg(To raise it up).

TBh i havent tried(ill give it a try the next time i play) the left leg thing, but somehow imagining it just seems weird(maybe since i started with the right leg).
actually i just realised, my first instructional booklet im still learning from the seating is actually shown as the right leg being used. So yeaps that woudl explain why the left leg stance seemed weird/different to me.

The new instruction booklet i bought for additional learning while on hols overseas, actually shows the classical position. However this book is all black and white illustrations, the right leg booklet actually shows a picture, and it looks pretty natural to me in terms of the right arm doesnt have to stretch over to the left to reach the guitar(if it was mounetd on the left leg im assuming).

Maybe this is one ofthose preferential choices thing, do whichever feels and lets you play the best.
just hold it the way it's most comfortable for you. i do the whole right knee thing 'cuz i don't like being all spread eagle 'n stuff...it's really just about how you feel comfortable. like string gauge or pick thickness...no wrong answer
Member #14 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Ibanez Exotic Wood Acoustic
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
Quote by bobby_splax
it's really just about how you feel comfortable. like string gauge or pick thickness...no wrong answer

I wish people would give up on this way of thinking; just like anything else there are many ways of playing the guitar and some of those ways are the most efficient and lead to the best playing. There are plenty of wrong ways but people keep at them and succeed through sheer bloody-minded stubbourn-ness, just because someone else does something doesn't make it the right or best way to do it. Damn Hendrix has a lot to answer for.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.