*Prints it out and put it into the shredder*

Done.
"A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping through the earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust. Retaliation..."

Check out my amazing band!
An Abstract Illusion
why? because you like to get high?

I don't see why people feel the need to use drugs.
PLAY UP POMPEY

POMPEY PLAY UP!

I was just about to post this asking about it as well.

Are they smoking entire joints in one sitting? You mean to tell me that one person smokes one joint and that is not alright, yet one person can smoke up to two packs of cigarettes a day and it is perfectly legal.

hypocrisy I say!
UG NMA Member #2

Gil Grissom PWNS YOU!
Pot helps prevent Alzheimers. Pick your poison.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
Quote by jono034

Are they smoking entire joints in one sitting? You mean to tell me that one person smokes one joint and that is not alright, yet one person can smoke up to two packs of cigarettes a day and it is perfectly legal.

hypocrisy I say!

+1 with speed picked arrpegio up and down the A minor pentatonic with a pinch harmonic on e|-3-
Quote by heavyairship
dying hurts

empty sig
I don't see what there is to destroy. It's not that shocking to me that inhaling fire is bad for your lungs. However, the part about schizophrenia seems to me somewhat ridiculous.
Quote by jono034

hypocrisy I say!

it is not as much about getting high or what not, at least in my opinion. It is about people's rights to do what they want. Cigarettes kill. Alcohol kills. Marijuana, well it causes people to sit on their couch and eat an entire bag of potato chips. Which one of these should be illegal?

It is also pretty rediculous that the article somehow disregards the fact that cigarettes are entirely more dangerous, by comparing one joint to one cigarettes (or more).
UG NMA Member #2

Gil Grissom PWNS YOU!
Eh. What makes me sad is the bit at the end - "because marijauna hurts your lungs, we must punish smokers more severely!"
My Last.fm Account

My Band

Quote by Jackal58
JoHNNERz you sir are my hero of the moment.
It's just rehashing old research. Since the government here want to reclassify Cannabis back to Class B (how can you make something more or less illegal?) most of the news here is trying to get people aboard and support the government with as many bad headlines as possible.

What they fail to mention is that despite the high tar content in Cannabis, tar does not cause cancer. Also, cannabis does not restrict the airways, but opens them up. Tobacco does the opposite, which causes blockages and which is where problems arise. Not to mention, there are far worse ingredients in commercial Tobacco, such as Benzine, Formaldehyde (embalming fluid), Cyanide, Lead and even traces of radiation. You wont find that in a spliff.

But of course, Tobacco consumption is ok because it brings in a hefty tax revenue.
Quote by I floss daily
I don't see what there is to destroy. It's not that shocking to me that inhaling fire is bad for your lungs. However, the part about schizophrenia seems to me somewhat ridiculous.

I don't see how. By getting high, you're destroying brain cells, and in doing so can seroiusly mess up the tinkering in your noggin.

To answer the threadstarter, the only thing I can see wrong with that without seeing the study, is based on the number of participants they used (which wasn't specified). The way their study was set up was very solid, in having the 4 different groups.
One joint may equal five cigarettes in terms of tar, but when you take into consideration all the other chemicals and bad **** going into your lungs, cigarettes are WAY worse. Not to mention nicotine is a very addicting substance, and THC is not physically addicting at all, and only mentally addicting to the weakest minds.

Plus, most people who smoke weed (heavily) only smoke like one joint every 4-5 hours, and I know a lot of cigarette smokers who smoke around two packs a day. Marijuana is not addicting like tobacco is.

EDIT: To the person above me, smoking marijuana kills less brain cells than accidentally bumping your head against the wall or inhaling fumes from a polluted city. Do your research.
Last edited by MeGaDeth2314 at Jul 31, 2007,
Quote by TheCD
I don't see how. By getting high, you're destroying brain cells, and in doing so can seroiusly mess up the tinkering in your noggin.

actually in some medical circles, cannibas is known actually as a neuroprotective and prevents loss of memory (besides short term). It is not a neurotoxin and is not disruptive of brain activity in the long term area.
UG NMA Member #2

Gil Grissom PWNS YOU!
Quote by rworsl

But it's still BS. And as such, it needs to be properly told that it is a pile of Phail.

I really think that this research is bullshat as propaganda. Ever see "Reefer Madness?" Weed isn't good for you, but it doesn't make you a schizo. The whole reason that Marijuana was made illegal in the first place is because it makes a whole bunch of products, namely grease, rope, decent clothes) better than most other materials, and people in high places didn't like it. This was many, many years ago.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by Electric Ocean
But of course, Tobacco consumption is ok because it brings in a hefty tax revenue.

That's the thing. You can't grow tobacco in your backyard; tobacco requires a very specific environment to grow in. You have to buy it from Phillip Norris.

Marijuana, on the other hand, grows naturally almost anywhere (ditchweed); you don't even need a backyard to cultivate it.

In short, there's no money to be made in marijuana cultivation for the government or big business, and the many uses for hemp would cut into the profit margins of the paper industry, the textile industry, even certain agricultural industries (soybeans have half the protein of hemp seeds; you can grow four times as much paper from an acre of hemp as from an acre of hardwood forest, etc.)

And at this point, legalization - after nearly a century of "drugs are bad" from the government - is more or less a moot point. It'll never happen.

/Paranoid rant.
My Last.fm Account

My Band

Quote by Jackal58
JoHNNERz you sir are my hero of the moment.
Last edited by JoHNNERz at Jul 31, 2007,
Quote by Pertenozzo
I would destroy the argument, if there was one.

Ignorance is bliss, they say.
How the fuck do I become a test subject for one of these studies? That's what I want to know.
Quote by TheCD

ummm, no you're not, you know nothing about biology I guess. You seriously mess up the tinkering in your noggin because the receptor sites of the neurons in your brain don't work right anymore(in a nutshell).
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
One joint may equal five cigarettes in terms of tar, but when you take into consideration all the other chemicals and bad **** going into your lungs, cigarettes are WAY worse. Not to mention nicotine is a very addicting substance, and THC is not physically addicting at all, and only mentally addicting to the weakest minds.

Plus, most people who smoke weed (heavily) only smoke like one joint every 4-5 hours, and I know a lot of cigarette smokers who smoke around two packs a day. Marijuana is not addicting like tobacco is.

Thats ****ing truth, right there.

If one joint equals 5 cigarettes (which is a truly preposterous claim given the vast differences in tar content between strains of marijuana as well as they extremely varied amount of pot a "joint" can contain), then a stoner would need to smoke 8 joints a day to even equal the amount of tar that heavy smokers put in their lungs. There are seldom stoners with enough cash to smoke 8 joints a day, but the world is full of people who smoke 2 packs of cigs a day.

More then a half million people died last year from heart disease and diabetes, likely the result of not eating healthy. Wheres Americas War on Fat? 125 thousand died of lung diseases, wheres Americas War on Cigarettes? In 4000 years of recorded human history, there is not one documented case of marijuana use directly causing death. (I'm sure some stoners somewhere have gone on a misadventure and got eaten by a bear or fell off a cliff or something but ****, people do that anyway).

The government CANNOT tell you what you can and cant consume. The constitution protects all people's life, liberty, and property as long as the three of them don't infringe on those of others. By possessing and smoking pot, the only person you harm is yourself. It is a truely victim-less crime.

"Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; that which cometh out of the mouth defileth a man." (Mat. 15:11) The apostle Paul wrote, I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean. … For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost. (Paul: Romans 14:14,17)

Don't judge stoners for consuming what harms only themselves, judge the government for spewing what can only be described as utter bull**** out of their mouths.
Cannabis is worse for your lungs than commercial cigarettes.

However

Nobody smokes 12 joints a day In fact, I'd say it's common for a pot smoker to do about one joint a week. Therefore, cigarettes are more detrimental to your lungs.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
^ not to mention, typically people share joints. So most of the time, you will get a few hits off the joint and that is all.

It just angers me that the study in the first post recriminalizes pot, yet makes no effort to really go after tobacco smokers. I can just picture the scientist sitting around smoking a tobacco pipe saying "marijuana is bad but this tobacco is quite delicious!"
UG NMA Member #2

Gil Grissom PWNS YOU!
Quote by rworsl

Because it's fun. End of story.