Ok I'm not that thick, I know how to palm mute. But the thing is... I can't quite do it fast enough when I play standing up and my guitar is at low (but normal) height. I know the logical thing to do is to play like Tom Morello, in which case I'm fine, but I want to actually find out the reason...

You see, if I want to palm mute properly and quickly, I need the body of my guitar to be parallel or higher than the neck. But what you see with 99% guitarists is that they manage to palm mute like crazy and have the neck bent higher than the body... Does that make sense? But if I do the body-higher thing, I can't fret properly because the neck is too low. Believe me, the strap height is not uber-low, it's normal, I guess. I can solo and play riffs just fine, it's the goddamn palm-muting thing, I can't place my hand properly when it's that low.

So live I have to have my guitar pretty high and that ain't quite my cup of tea...

Maybe some advice on palm-muting while stood up and guitar quite low?

So anyway, what's the deal?
for rent
Quote by Deebo_23
dude i have the same freakin problem and i agree with you 100%..i cant stand playing with my guitar so high..what kind of guitar do you have?

A Strat and an Ibanez RG350. Use the Ibanez mainly.
for rent
I don't get how you palm-mute "quickly", all you do is rest your hand on the bridge...at rest is, by definition, not moving therefore no speed is involved. Do you mean you can't pick quickly enough?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
I don't get how you palm-mute "quickly", all you do is rest your hand on the bridge...at rest is, by definition, not moving therefore no speed is involved. Do you mean you can't pick quickly enough?

I do, yes. Suffice to say, it simply isn't comfortable.
for rent
I think he means he can't go from ''clean'' to palm-mute, to clean, to palm-mute fast enough.
For example, the second riff on ''Master of Puppets'' requires palm muting of the two notes on the E string, then an open hit on the notes on the A string.

Edit; was wrong, my bad.
it took me a while to be able to palm mute properly standing up at belly button level, and then when i got a new strap and started playing redonculously low, i had to learn again, there is a magic trick, it is called....... practice!
Quote by Gakusey
I do, yes. Suffice to say, it simply isn't comfortable.

Right, gotcha...although I'm not sure why you're having problems. You chould just have the guitar at whatever height you usually have it when standing. Most people don't pick too close to the bridge because it's a little too twangy, but usually your hand is in pretty much the same place whether you're picking palm-muted or normally. I commit one of the greatest UG taboos...I anchor

When I say anchor I don't have my pinky rigidly stuck to the face of the guitar, obviously if I'm hunting round for pinch harmonics it moves, and for wide strumming it also comes off. However, I kind of use it as a pivot when switching from normal picking to palm-muting. My right hand doesn't move, rahter it shifts postion slightly.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Just practise it really. The more you practise standing up playing palm muted riffs, the better you will get. Make sure you guitar isn't below belt level too, else you probably won't have a prayer.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay