I recently have bought an old crappy Fender bass from my local music shop. Is it going to hurt my amp if I play it through it? (I plan on using a JCM 900).
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
Quote by danielrobbyshor
idiot, no. buy a bass amp or say goodbye to your JCM

Idiot...??? I've seen bass players play through a guitar amp on tour...Im just wondering if my amp is gonna survive.
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
My bass amp was at a friends house so when I was practicing at home I'd use my small peavey guitar amp, it worked fine if i put the high off, mid is near 5 and low is all the way up, also distortion gave it a better sound (didn't sound very much like distortion though, just like a normal bass which was good).

The only problem was I couldn't put it on too loud, too loud messes up the amp.
I run a bass through my MG all the time. There is nothing wrong with it yet.
Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V

Marshall MG100HDFX
Marshall MA50C

Boss DS-1
Digitech RP50
Digitech Whammy IV
Vox V847 Wah Pedal
Quote by lagunasunrise
I run a bass through my MG all the time. There is nothing wrong with it yet.

that's because it's an MG... IMO it can't possibly sound any worse
sorry but i had to say it, i completely and utterly hate those things

but to the threadstarter, i wouldn't recommend it. there's no sense of risking messing up an amp like yours when you could just buy a cheap bass amp at your local store
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
it all depends on the specs of the amp

on certain cones (usually vintage ones in my experience), it tends to damage the cone and cause issues including, but not limited to, distortion of the sound (think of a semi distorted blues amp and you've got a good idea of what it sounds like), crackling noises, buzzing of the cone, loss of tone clarity etc.

generally, if you've got a older (or tube) amp and/or value how your clean sounds, its not a good idea to do it long term

short term however, seems to be alright if you play it at low volume (feel free to correct me if anything ive said is wrong)
Quote by TMKA
short term however, seems to be alright if you play it at low volume (feel free to correct me if anything ive said is wrong)

yeah i agree, like if you just played it through your amp for a week or so until you found something else to play it through
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
Quote by SG6578
Idiot...??? I've seen bass players play through a guitar amp on tour...Im just wondering if my amp is gonna survive.

My amp works fine whenever our bassist uses it at band practices.
A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music.
Put this in your signature if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music.
i wouldnt risk it on an amp like that
my gear: ibanez destroyer( with gibson 500t pickup), epiphone les paul plus,ampeg electric, marshall jcm2000 triple super lead half stack
It won't hurt it at all.

the Fender Bassman was originally made for bass players, but now, mostly guitar players use it.

So you figure, a bass through a guitar amp should not hurt anything.