well i personally like the spiders but most ppl on this site will tell u go with a roland cube. The cubes are a better value overall b.c of the sound. They sound great. However if you know how to use a spider they can ALMOST sound as good
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I keep a plunger in my bathroom...my insperation usually clogs the toilet.
Last edited by drenvital at Jul 31, 2007,
well if you just starting out it would be "ok" but you should really consider getting a small tube amp.

maybe a epi valve junior combo or a crate palomino v8 amp.

both are a good starter amp.
Quote by Guitarplaymetal
well if you just starting out it would be "ok" but you should really consider getting a small tube amp.

maybe a epi valve junior combo or a crate palomino v8 amp.

both are a good starter amp.

those would give a better sound, but I think he's just starting guitar and if he is variety in styles should be key! The Spider 3 will give you a lot of variety, and it will be fun, but not something you'll want in the long run if you keep playing guitar...

but as far as a beginner amp goes, yeah it's not bad
Gear:
Ibanez JS100
03 Squier Strat
1980 Ovation Matrix Accoustic
Peavey Valveking 112
Washburn T-14 Taurus (Bass)
SWR Working Pro 100 watt bass amp
people diss em alot but as a beginer amp like ya want. yeh, id do it.
Lets all be nice
Yes, I would recomend that as a starter amp. It sounds pretty fine for a Solid State and the effects will keep for preoccupied for a long time.
Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V

Marshall MG100HDFX
Marshall MA50C

Boss DS-1
Digitech RP50
Digitech Whammy IV
Vox V847 Wah Pedal
I say if all your gonna do is do some bedroom jamming and practice...

Get a Roland Microcube!

It's small, runs on a handful of AA batteries, can be easilly slid onto your guitarstrap, has all the effects and modeling you'd ever need, and is roughly the same price (125 USD) and wattage

If you're gonna by a cheap beginners amp, you might as well by one that might actually still have a purpose, even after you by your first tube.

Why tie yourself to the outlet.
Leader of The Cult of Echoes, for those who believe 23 min. of Pink Floyd Epicness just isn't enough.

Pm Alex the Red if you're interested

I'm a member I Pignose Amps Club. PM Woodenbanman if your interested.
if your close to Leamington, Ontario or can come pick it up I have a spider ||| 30 watt for sale with the FBV2 footswitch that costed me 50 bucks, please buy it It's nothing better then a practice amp I need it gone :'( no one wants it around here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've put it in local internet ads and got no replys yet!!!!!!
^ Use eBay.

And yeah, the Roland Cube is liked more on this site, but the Spider is fine for a starter amp. See if you can get a deal on it by buying on eBay or haggling with the store. Good luck!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I think it's a great beginner's amp, particularly if you're into heavy stuff.

It gives you a great variety of sound, though it slightly sacrifices tone at high volumes. I'd say get it if you want it just for bedroom practice by yourself.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by Alex The Red
I say if all your gonna do is do some bedroom jamming and practice...

Get a Roland Microcube!

It's small, runs on a handful of AA batteries, can be easilly slid onto your guitarstrap, has all the effects and modeling you'd ever need, and is roughly the same price (125 USD) and wattage

If you're gonna by a cheap beginners amp, you might as well by one that might actually still have a purpose, even after you by your first tube.

Why tie yourself to the outlet.

I agree. I'd recommend that or the Vox DA5 for the same reasons.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Guitarplaymetal, this may be the first and last time i ever give this advice, so listen up: Not everyone needs a tube amp.

I'd also suggest looking at the aforementioned Roland Microcube and Vox DA5.

Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
I prefer the Cube. For a modeling amp it really sounds good and it has a lot of power for its size.
Quote by TNfootballfan62
Guitarplaymetal, this may be the first and last time i ever give this advice, so listen up: Not everyone needs a tube amp.

I'd also suggest looking at the aforementioned Roland Microcube and Vox DA5.

haha i know not everyone needs a tube amp, but i was giving him a suggestion that would more than likely been seconed.

I dont even have a tube amp hahaha!

but i have played on the palomino and its a good little amp. sounds great.
Guitar
Lyon LI15
Epi Beast
Berhinger V-ampire LX210
Danelectro grilled cheese & t-bone

Bass:
Peavey 112
Ibanez gsr200

Saving for Bugera 333 $300 / $599 :|

Quote by Doppelgänger
Agreed. There's no point in doing anything if she looks like shit.
thanks everyone...when i go to guitar center ill try the Roland Cube and Spider and ill see which one is better.
If you start out on something like a spider which masks all of your mistakes with silly amounts of distortion your playing will sound horrible through a better amp.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
I'd only recommend it if you were literally just starting out.

Maybe a Roland Cube though because they do the same job, only better and are cheaper.

You don't wanna go spending a ton of money on a small tube amp like some people are recommending if you're just starting out. You may decide you no longer want to play and have wasted a lot of money.
^ +1 to joeee

The roland cube and vox valvetronix do the same job (have built in presets, loads of funky effects e.t.c) only better, and are cheaper
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Pretty much all beginner amps are going to suck tone wise. Even the Vox, a small speaker just won't put out a good tone.

That being said, I'd go with either the Cube or Vox. The spider is good for what it does but the 15 watt spider does cover up your mistakes when the user is a metalhead who has to scoop it and dime the gain.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio