I have been in a dilemma between if I want to get a Classical Guitar, or a new Acoustic. For a while there I was heart set on Classical, but now I am not sure. Either way I've heard pretty good things about Tacoma, and I also do love the look of them. I do know they are like 800ish. What do you think? Are they worth it or should I (if I'm to go with an acoustic) ago with a Breedlove/Taylor/Martin etc...
I'd steer clear of the Tacoma because of the bolt on neck. Acoustics gain a lot of their tone from the neck joint, and a bolt on is not the way to go. I'm also not a fan of that offset soundhole. So of the two remaining, the Breedlove and Taylor, I think I would go with the breedlove. I've heard some not so good things about the lower end Taylors, but next to no bad press about any of the Breedloves.
Breedlove it is.
Play them and see what you like best. I think that Tacoma gives you more bang for your buck in terms of quality materials, but if you don't like the tone then they aren't worth anything. So play them and see what you think.
Not taking any online orders.
Problem is I have yet to run across a guitar shop ANYWHERE NEAR around where I live that has either Breedlove or Tacoma Kinda makes me sad cause I would LOVE to play these guitars and see what I like the sound of more, but that almost doesnt seem like its a possibility.
So just go to your closest guitar shop and see what they do have. Your not limited to just those two brands of guitar either. There's many fine ones out there to be had, especially in your price range. I've gone the route of getting my heart set on one thing in particular, be it guitar, car, tv whatever, and then go ahead and make the purchase, only to find that I should have gotten a different one for some reason or another. It truely pays to play before you buy, for a lot of reasons too.
Quote by LeftyDave
I'd steer clear of the Tacoma because of the bolt on neck. Acoustics gain a lot of their tone from the neck joint, and a bolt on is not the way to go. I'm also not a fan of that offset soundhole. So of the two remaining, the Breedlove and Taylor, I think I would go with the breedlove. I've heard some not so good things about the lower end Taylors, but next to no bad press about any of the Breedloves.
Breedlove it is.

Bull****! ! ! !

I LOVE bolt on necks on acoustics. They sound great, are tough and durable, and make things incredibly easy when you need to fix up your acoustic or have a neck reset done. You do realize Taylors are bolt ons . . . ?

Tacoma is a GREAT brand. They are cheap, but great quality, US made guitars (solid wood !!!). If you're looking for bang-for-buck, there is nothing that beats Tacoma. Donno about their classicals, but their acoustics are awesome. I was |-----| close to buying one before I got my Taylor. I'd recommend a great long look at Tacomas. Good luck!
Hi!

Sig Retired.
I have the Tacoma C1C Chief and I kid you not when I say its the best acoustic I've ever played. I love the tone it has and its a solid guitar. I just love it and I would reccommend to everyone to buy one if they could. It's an amazing guitar I love everything about it, but like everyone knows finding the right guitar is all about personal preference.
Last edited by scream_it at Aug 1, 2007,
If you're looking for acoustics go with Breedlove. Best Acoustics I've ever played.

2004 MIM Strat w/ Fender Hot Noiseless pickups
Sovtek MiG 60
Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion Greenbacks
Snark Tuner
MXR Custom Comp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
Dunlop JHM3 Univibe
TC electronic Nova Delay
TC electronic Arena Reverb
Yarg... I must find someplace to play both Breedlove and Tacomas.... too many people saying "This one is the best" for both of them lol.

But I seriously appreciate alll the feedback guys... there has been a lot I have taken in here.
I don't have any experiance with the breedlove or the tacoma but I absolutly LOVE my Talyor Acoustic, given its more on the high end of the Taylor guitars I don't think it should matter to much if you got a lower end Taylor.
That Taylor 214 GA that Noobguitar posted is a really really good guitar. That one is all solid wood and it plays incredibly. Stay clear of the Taylor 214 2007 model for it has laminate rosewood back and sides. But really, go to a music store, for the amount of money you are spending is a lot and you dont want to go wrong with it.
Proud Owner of a 2006 Taylor GS Big Leaf Maple/ Sitka Spruce
Quote by Matic
That Taylor 214 GA that Noobguitar posted is a really really good guitar. That one is all solid wood and it plays incredibly. Stay clear of the Taylor 214 2007 model for it has laminate rosewood back and sides. But really, go to a music store, for the amount of money you are spending is a lot and you dont want to go wrong with it.

I wouldn't necessarily say stay away from a guitar just because it's laminate. As I've stated, I really like the newer Taylor 100 and 200 models with the laminate wood. I donno why but it sounded damn good, better than some of the old models I compared it to.

Really, I know it sucks, but theres not much you can do but try them out for yourself
Hi!

Sig Retired.
Personally, I went shopping for a guitar around 800 dollars as well. I was looking for breedlove but had to order one so i wanted to look around and see if anything could compare. I came across a Tacoma dm-9 in the expensive guitar room (thats locked). And it sounded louder and clearer than the 2000 dollar guitars in that same room. I kid you not. Amazed me so I got it, but thats just my personal experience.
my friend has that Tacoma ( except, its a bass, but it has that sound hole on the shoulder of the guitar) that thing rocks. I've also played other Tacomas and I think they should pretty good.
Look, guitars are a lot like wines. The truth is we all react a little differently to different makes and models and a relatively inexpensive acoustic can be favored over a more expensive model in a blind "taste test". The other reality is the guitar industry is extremely competitive and most companies make very good guitars on the low end, because thats where the highest volume of sales are. Its where they have to compete. Check out as many guitars as you are able to, take your time, and then pick the one you enjoy the most. As you get better and your budget expands you will eventually be looking again and have more options. I have a Tacoma DR12 and love it. I hope to pick up a Taylor 12 string some day as I have played a few and love the way they sound. But who knows? I may play a different brand I have never heard of and enjoy it more. I don't play for pay and neither do you. Keep it real and buy what YOU like.
^ And this thread is over a year old! ( I caught it this time cappy, lol)
Quote by LeftyDave
^ And this thread is over a year old! ( I caught it this time cappy, lol)

Damn, I was about to point that out lol
Oh btw, Im Russian. :stickpoke

Fascinating people: Jon Stewart, Bill Murray, Eric Clapton, John Mayer, Hugh Laurie, Seasick Steve, Eugene Hutz, William Shatner, Boris Grebenshikov, Anthony Hopkins.

Hohner HC 06
Washburn EA18TS