I was thinking about buying one of these

I have played one twice and its by far the best feeling acoustic I have ever played. Its 300$ and I have been wanting an acoustic for awhile, plus its electric also! Not overly worried about the sound, I just want something to play in between classes next semester at college.

what do you guys think?
epiphone les paul standard
peavey bandit 112
peavey rage 158
squier stagemaster fr

trueguitarhero
-You don't seem to realize that heaven and hell are just delusions created to control the masses through fear and false promises.
If you have played it and liked it, then I'd say go for it. I personally haven't played one before, it looks really nice though. If you don't care about sound, then go for it.
Its not a solid top and by the looks of it, schecter went for looks and not sound.
It looks nice but its a peice of **** sound wise.
Get a Yamaha or a Takamine for that price.
And if looks are important than ibanez has some decent sounding lookers.
My gear:
-OLP MM2
-OLP practice amp 10w
-Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky Strings
-1.14 Everly Star Picks
im not too picky. but overall the guitar FEELS better and has great playability, moreso than any other acoustic I have played. So thats why i might get it.
peavey bandit 112
peavey rage 158
squier stagemaster fr

trueguitarhero
-You don't seem to realize that heaven and hell are just delusions created to control the masses through fear and false promises.
Last edited by liquidknowledg4 at Aug 1, 2007,
if you are more concerned with the feel than the sound and you like the way the guitar feels, go for it.
Quote by liquidknowledg4
I was thinking about buying one of these

I have played one twice and its by far the best feeling acoustic I have ever played. Its 300$ and I have been wanting an acoustic for awhile, plus its electric also! Not overly worried about the sound, I just want something to play in between classes next semester at college.

what do you guys think?

You played it twice and you liked it, then it was meant for you
Try looking at some Takamines too, those are heavenly sounding acoustics
Fender Standard Telecaster
Peavey Envoy 110
Boss DS-1 EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone Behringer DD400 Digital Delay
Digitech Bad Monkey
yeah i think im gona scrap one of these bad boys. Theres a red one at a local shop, the guy said he would give it to me for 300 with a hardshell case, so sounds like a deal.
peavey bandit 112
peavey rage 158
squier stagemaster fr

trueguitarhero
I personally love Schecters, I say go for it.

Playing guitar is NOT a sport.

Let the RABBITS wear GLASSES
]
I say don't get it because it isn't a solid top; a necessity of making a great acoustic guitar. (Also, when I played it at my local shop, it sounded like **** in its price range.)

It might play good now, but as you get better, you won't like it as much as before. (Your ears will understand good tone from **** by then.)

Don't listen with your ears. Listen to me.
Quote by felenoral

Don't listen with your ears. Listen to me.

haha, that made me giggle.
I do agree on this occasion, however i would be wary of listening solely to what he says and not to everything else you hear 99.99% of the time, lol.
peavey bandit 112
peavey rage 158
squier stagemaster fr

trueguitarhero
those guitars are probably about equally as crappy in tone and construction, and they are about equal in being pretty. like i said, if all you really want is something that looks cool and you don't care what it sounds like... just buy whatever.
Quote by jimtaka
those guitars are probably about equally as crappy in tone and construction, and they are about equal in being pretty. like i said, if all you really want is something that looks cool and you don't care what it sounds like... just buy whatever.

man you need to check your reading. I never said that all I wanted was something that looked good, I said I liked its playability the best and that im not OVERLY WORRIED about the sound. I like the way it sounds anyway. And you never said anything about looks either, you said about playability.

whatever, im going to get it. Its a cheap acoustic electric that plays awsomely and has a hardshell case for 300.
peavey bandit 112
peavey rage 158
squier stagemaster fr

trueguitarhero
actually after reading some more im sorta curious about takamine or whatever.

this one is the same price. I know nothing about acoustics, but this one looks like good playability also. How does this one comepare to the schecter?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_takamine_eg540c_nex_cutaway_acousticelectric_guitar?full_sku=102642626
peavey bandit 112
peavey rage 158
squier stagemaster fr

trueguitarhero
Quote by liquidknowledg4
man you need to check your reading. I never said that all I wanted was something that looked good, I said I liked its playability the best and that im not OVERLY WORRIED about the sound. I like the way it sounds anyway. And you never said anything about looks either, you said about playability.

whatever, im going to get it. Its a cheap acoustic electric that plays awsomely and has a hardshell case for 300.

nah, i read that. you already said that you really liked the way the schecter played... but then you started looking at that ibanez and i figured you just found it online and haven't ever played it... so i gathered that you weren't THAT concerned with playability if you were considering buying a guitar you hadn't played. i did assume that you hadn't played that ibanez so i could be wrong about that. either way, like i said the first time, if you like the way the schecter plays and that is your main concern then go for it!

as for the takamine, it's going to be pretty similar to the schecter and the ibanez as well. i do think the pickups in the takamines are better than the ones in the ibanez acoustic-electrics, but i don't have any idea how they compare to the schecter.
Quote by jimtaka
nah, i read that. you already said that you really liked the way the schecter played... but then you started looking at that ibanez and i figured you just found it online and haven't ever played it... so i gathered that you weren't THAT concerned with playability if you were considering buying a guitar you hadn't played. i did assume that you hadn't played that ibanez so i could be wrong about that. either way, like i said the first time, if you like the way the schecter plays and that is your main concern then go for it!

as for the takamine, it's going to be pretty similar to the schecter and the ibanez as well. i do think the pickups in the takamines are better than the ones in the ibanez acoustic-electrics, but i don't have any idea how they compare to the schecter.

yeah dont get me wrong there. Im definatly going to play whatever I want before I buy it. I was semi interested in the ibanez because it was also a cut away and a thinner body, so i assumed it would play similar to the schecter. But yeah if im going to get something besides the schecter, I am going to call guitar center and tell them to order one of those ****s so i can try it before I buy.

I noticed the takamine doesnt have that like plastic back... could you tell me the difference between that and an all wood guitar? That seems to be the main diff between the schecter and ibanez/takamine.
peavey bandit 112
peavey rage 158
squier stagemaster fr

trueguitarhero
so iv'e been reading this thread since you started it.... i believe you wanted something for college right? i say get what you want, i personaly dont know about schecter acoustics but i know that the ibanez has to be decent... i have this ibanez and its great http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-AEF18ETWS-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=512212
it plays well and has a nice sound and the electronics are nice for the price especially with the tuner which is handy... granted im selling it to upgrade but only because i am getting the guitar that i have wanted since day 1... alot of people are saying stay away from a non solid top guitar, not always the case... you can be a little bit more rugged with them as they are less affected by temp changes, and some (like mine) actually sound nice due to a good build... so i thought about giving you some suggestion links on what to get but i really dont know what to show you.... is your max 300$? if you can go up to 400$ id say get this http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Takamine-G-Series-EG340SC-Dreadnought-Cutaway-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=512207

if its 300$ get this
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-AJ200SCE-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=518367

if you only wanna go up to 350$ id say either get the ibanez you posted or get the one i have and throw some light's on it and you'll be pleased with looks and sound......

alot of people also like this, its a great deal with the case included and is a nice sounding guitar, i just personaly dont like the electronics that come with it..
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Washburn-?sku=516865

overall dude, get what you want regardless of what anyone tells you, you'll be much happier that way, good luck with you'r decision
iM Get'n that fa sho!

play acoustic, jam hard

AiM - TheCarsonCity
hey thanks for all that. would you mind telling me what a "hard top" is? I know nothing about acoustics.

I would pick one of the others, but the schecter does also come with the case, which those are like 100$ and I will be needing one of those. Its really hard to say. what do you think about that takamine?
peavey bandit 112
peavey rage 158
squier stagemaster fr

trueguitarhero
I just bought that used for 220 and it has the best feel and a very deep sound. i'd go for it.
Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Gretsch 5120
Fender Bassman '59 RI
Ibanez fretless bass
hard top = solid top, meanidn that the wood used on the soundboard of the guitar is solid wood, not laminate.
Solid wood is much better acoustically then laminate wood as it vibrates more freely. There is no laminate top guitar that i have played that sounds good. Solid back and sides are less vital and to get them you have to spend a fair bit more. Mainly for any guitar it should have a solid top. If it says select or special spruce, then it is laminate and ****. If it says solid spruce or solid cedar (main woods used in acoustics) then it is solid wood and therefore good, but if it doesnt say solid, then it aint solid.

Thats why we have all been saying that if your not worried about sound then theyre fine, because none of the ones you have looked at have solid tops. You also seem to be picking out the fancy looking ones, therefore the assumption that your going for looks....

If oyu want something that will sound good AND play extremely well then go buy yourself a Yamaha FG700S or FG720S, anything in the FG line in fact. Dont bother getting something with electronics (a pickup so you can plug it into amps and PA systems) they add cost and in the lower price range, in order to put them in, companies cut corners in other places, where it matters... the woods used and construction quality. Also Takamines play very well and most of them (providing they have a solid top) sound fantastic. Washburn's should also be on your list as should Seagull's.

If, after learning more about this you still want the Shecter, then go for it, but spending $300 on a Yamaha FG720S and a hardcase will get you a decent guitar that will last you, sound good, play well, wont break, and wont break the bank. It's not fancy looking, but its practical and good, as are most decent guitars in the lower price ranges
Quote by johnos
hard top = solid top, meanidn that the wood used on the soundboard of the guitar is solid wood, not laminate.
Solid wood is much better acoustically then laminate wood as it vibrates more freely. There is no laminate top guitar that i have played that sounds good. Solid back and sides are less vital and to get them you have to spend a fair bit more. Mainly for any guitar it should have a solid top. If it says select or special spruce, then it is laminate and ****. If it says solid spruce or solid cedar (main woods used in acoustics) then it is solid wood and therefore good, but if it doesnt say solid, then it aint solid.

Thats why we have all been saying that if your not worried about sound then theyre fine, because none of the ones you have looked at have solid tops. You also seem to be picking out the fancy looking ones, therefore the assumption that your going for looks....

If oyu want something that will sound good AND play extremely well then go buy yourself a Yamaha FG700S or FG720S, anything in the FG line in fact. Dont bother getting something with electronics (a pickup so you can plug it into amps and PA systems) they add cost and in the lower price range, in order to put them in, companies cut corners in other places, where it matters... the woods used and construction quality. Also Takamines play very well and most of them (providing they have a solid top) sound fantastic. Washburn's should also be on your list as should Seagull's.

If, after learning more about this you still want the Shecter, then go for it, but spending $300 on a Yamaha FG720S and a hardcase will get you a decent guitar that will last you, sound good, play well, wont break, and wont break the bank. It's not fancy looking, but its practical and good, as are most decent guitars in the lower price ranges

Im still sorta hooked on the schecter man. I mean its at a local shop I can just go in there with my dad(whos been a guitar player for like 30 years) and check it out make sure everythings working fine. Im definatly not ordering anything off the internet. This guitar just feels great, i think it sounds fine, and looks good at the same time.

yeah maybe I am going for looks some, I just looked at cutaway guitars, because I like the cutaway, and something with some color too it, instead of the normal. So I guess that makes the guitar "fancy" looking. Im still not set on getting it, ill check out what you said today at guitar center and see what they have. And ask the guys there for unbiased advice. Thanks for your help.
peavey bandit 112
peavey rage 158
squier stagemaster fr

trueguitarhero