Alright, here's the overview:

Basically, i'm an amateur at guitar modding, in every possible way. Hell, i have trouble stringing my instrument myself. All i've ever done was drill a hole in my guitar to put a killswitch in. Now, my problem: I have a washburn guitar that originally didnt, and currently doesn't have a pickguard, but if i found one that could fit around the pickups and the tremolo springs(if that even matters), is it safe to drill to the body of the guitar, place the pickguard over it, then put in some screws?
why would you want to? pickguards usually hide electronics and stuff (except les pauls and similar pickguards) so you want to just put a pickguard on your guitar for the sake of guarding picks?
Trendiness!
ESP Eclipse II
Gibson Explorer
Ibanez RG2610e
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
Quote by Reesh
why would you want to? pickguards usually hide electronics and stuff (except les pauls and similar pickguards) so you want to just put a pickguard on your guitar for the sake of guarding picks?

I'm making a custom one that'll make it look cooler.
yes its perfectly fine. Just be sure to avoid drilling through cavities.
I woudl recommedn drilling pilot holes first before putting in the screws
^ what kaplac said.

Yes it will be fine to add the pickguard if it fits, all you need is the holes, Make sure you drill pilot holes in the positions before, otherwise there is a possibility of splitting the wood forcing a screw in the wood.
Quote by Reesh

Personally I would do it because my picking hand sweats a lot, and I now have damage to the paint work from where sweat has dripped off my hand and collected on the body. I can understand why some people like to fit pickgaurds to guitars that don't originally come with them.
Lyrics, just breaks between killer solos.
Quote by TONY strat
Marchello!

Haha hey Tony whats up

And thanks Hakanku and Kaplac for the response