Ok, sorry if there are other threads about this or if there are lessons about it. In that case, just give me the link. Anyway, I've been playing guitar for some weeks now and I've never even tried playing a solo. When I look for some guidance at your website about how to easily learn to play solos, it says I should practice scales. My question is. Why would I want to practice scales instead of the actual solo? Are the solos based on certain scales? What scales should i practice if I want to play the solos in songs like Stairway to Heaven, Nothing else matters, Iron man and songs like that?

Thanks in advance!
If you listen carefully, many solos either include regular scales or slightly modified ones. Learning and linking scales is a really good way to formulate your own solos.
"God has a sense of humor. Just look at the Platypus."
Practicing solos is perfectly fine if you never want to play your own solos. Most people aren't content with playing other people's work the rest of their lives.

If you want to progress into understanding solos and writing your own, then you want to learn scales. I'd start out with minor and major pentatonic, and then move on to learning some of the modes.
Gear
Ibanez RGR521EX1
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500R
Roland Cube
Spider II 30
-Crybaby GCB-95
-SansAmp GT2
-Boss DS-1, RC-2
Quote by xaedon
Ok, sorry if there are other threads about this or if there are lessons about it. In that case, just give me the link. Anyway, I've been playing guitar for some weeks now and I've never even tried playing a solo. When I look for some guidance at your website about how to easily learn to play solos, it says I should practice scales. My question is. Why would I want to practice scales instead of the actual solo? Are the solos based on certain scales? What scales should i practice if I want to play the solos in songs like Stairway to Heaven, Nothing else matters, Iron man and songs like that?

Thanks in advance!

Exactly. Almost every solo is made up of scales.

I'm about to go play CS right now so all I can say is start out with the minor pentatonic. Those solo's you listed all use them. Once you get used to it start to study up on improvising, and looking at more scales and modes.

Hopefully someone expands on this. lol.
thanks for the replies, I'll go practice some minor pentatonic scales then .