Hey there. Um just two questions Im really unsure about. Due to my town being the ****hole it is, I cant really try any of these cabs out. So anyway im getting a DSL100H and im deciding between a 1960AV or AX/BX.

1. Which would honestly be better, the AV or AX/BX? I'd assume they both have great tone and punch but im still unsure, plus they both have different speakers and wattage. (I was told i needed a power break if i got an AX)

2. Why does the BX cost a bit more than the AX? Is it louder or something?

Thanks
Gear
Good Guitars
Good Pedals
Good Amps

That is all.
Uhh AV/BV has vintage 30s and AX/BX has greenbacks. There would be no difference between the 2 power-wise, and whoever told you you'd need a powerbreak needs their head scanned. As long as you're not running the head at absolute 100% full volume nothing will happen, and even then speakers are usually a bit under-rated as a safe-gaurd against that.

Soundwise I think IMO the Vintage cabs have a bit more of a scooped tone. And the greenbacks are more mid-range kinda speakers, very punchy. So it all depends what kind of music you're gonna be playing ad what kind of tone you want. I think I'd recommend the Vintage for most higher gain rock and metal. but they'd both be good.

As for the A and B (Slant and straight) cabs being different prices, I have no idea. It works the opposite way with Orange cabs, the slant cabs are a little bit extra due to the extra work involved in making the angled part. So really the B cab, straight cab, should be cheaper or at least the same price. Maybe I'm missing something though.

Anyway.. Both great cabs but without trying them for yourself you're not really gonna know the difference anyway so I'd say go with the Vintage cab.

Telling us what kind of music you play would help for us to give you better opinions.
I had to take a risk when I ordered my cab. I couldnt try it out and the people at the store told me to go with the vintage speakers because of their warmer sound. Also they said it would keep their value (the vintage cost more). So I cant compare, but only say that I m quite pleased with my sound coming from the AV. I play metal though.

Check the website of Marshall for the different wattage and RMS. The A's have different, i.e. angled, sound projection. It depends on how you want to use it.
I mainly play blues, rock and some metal - nothing extreme. The bands that influence my playing are silverchair, incubus, mudvayne, muse, grinspoon, hendrix, john mayer, smashing pumpkins ..that sort of stuff.

The AV is 280 watts isnt it? Wouldnt that mean its more powerful/louder? As for the power brake, I wouldnt be cranking the amp to 100% but I still want that pushed marshall tone, can i acheive that with an AX/BX without any risk? Im also wondering whether the straight or angled cab would be better - Im not worried about the sound spreading, I mic up at gigs and have monitors.
Gear
Good Guitars
Good Pedals
Good Amps

That is all.
Vintage 30s are very bright, almost harsh, with exaggerated treble and mids.

Greenbacks are warm, smooth and have a nice aggressive midrange but smooth treble and fat bass.

Greenbacks are a more vintage speaker, and the vinatge 30 is a more metal speaker. What wattage is the AX, 100w? I'd be worried cranking it if it was - a 100 watt valve head cranked fully would be putting out something closer to 225 watts. But Celestions are rated conservatively, a Greenback could probably handle 60 watts.

The AV wouldn't be louder - that's just the maximum power handling. What you need to look at for loudness is sensitivity (db).
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Loudness doesn't have to do with watts (when talking about speakers). On speakers watts is about handling. Effiency is what matters when it comes to loudness.

Well here is my comparisson of them:
The Vintage 30 is very modern, despite it's name. It has a sound one could describe as "in your face". They have very agressive highs and an almost distoring mids. They have a high headroom and won't achieve much distortion. They're great for rock, hard rock and metal.

The Greenbacks are very vintage toned, with warm mids. They have a low headroom and easily achieve distortion, which they're famous for. They're very classic voiced and are great for old school British crunch. They are great for blues, classic rock and early hard rock.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Everyone says that greenbacks wont do metal but i love them for metal. They give you a nice cutting punch. Nice midrange i like midrange how else am i gonna be heard if i scoop my mids out. Also its smoother i dont like the harshness that spews out of the Vintage 30 nasty speaker good if you playing really heavy metal with scooped mids though. Another thing if your looking for break up the Greenbacks will break up before the Vintage 30s will
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by Syn Harvest
Everyone says that greenbacks wont do metal but i love them for metal. They give you a nice cutting punch. Nice midrange i like midrange how else am i gonna be heard if i scoop my mids out. Also its smoother i dont like the harshness that spews out of the Vintage 30 nasty speaker good if you playing really heavy metal with scooped mids though. Another thing if your looking for break up the Greenbacks will break up before the Vintage 30s will
If you like midrange then why scoop your mids? Seems a bit oxymoronic to me
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
NO i was saying i dont scoop my mids. I use mid range in my tone and thats why i agree i dont like the Vintage 30 as its mids are very muddy and treble is to harsh. I prefer the Smooth bottom end to the grenbacks **** i need some greenbacks lol GASing again lol
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Thanks guys, I think Ill go for the ax/bx. There seems to be mixed opinions over using a 100w head with it. Anyone know for sure if its safe? I wont be cranking it rediculously, but I will be using what I need.
Gear
Good Guitars
Good Pedals
Good Amps

That is all.
It should be fine.

Basically they rate cabs to go with a matching amp. If a speaker is rated at 30 watts, it can actually take as much as 60 watts, but its made to work with an amp rated at 30 watts RMS, because a cranked 30 watt amp will produce about 60 watts.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009