I've got one years experience at playing guitar and I wanted to know, is "Bark At The Moon" supposed to be too much for me to handle right now? I only ask this question because it seems like most people around here that are on my skill level, barely know how to play chords and are learning simple songs like "Smells Like Teen Spirit" or the rhythm part to "Smoke On The Water." I'm not trying to be mean or put anybody down, but I've noticed that some people who have been playing for 6, 7, or 8 months barly know how to down-tune a guitar; something I knew how to do after about 3 months. I never spent anytime on practicing chords, but I can play them fine now. Am I just a quick learner, or did I rush into my playing?
don't worry be happy! if ur a quick learner that's ace man! i mean i wish i could pick up things that easy. i'd say enjoy it!
Quote by Dillona
I think I want to have sex with you.

On topic: No, I haven't met any famous artists.

ofcourse i laughed xD

Quote by CoreysMonster
yeah we're all dead now. Turns out we've been in hell all along.

About the LHC

Think you`re a quick learner just like me.. but I played 7 years on my acoustic.=> boring!!

WHen I had the squier in my hands i played every hour of the day:P, now i started to really like playing guitar, since then.. i made a jump from holland to china:P if you know what i mean
It`s sad but true.
Quote by Thory
Think you`re a quick learner just like me.. but I played 7 years on my acoustic.=> boring!!

WHen I had the squier in my hands i played every hour of the day:P, now i started to really like playing guitar, since then.. i made a jump from holland to china:P if you know what i mean

yup chineze dudez own! they are so effin good. but yay for u 2.
Quote by Dillona
I think I want to have sex with you.

On topic: No, I haven't met any famous artists.

ofcourse i laughed xD

Quote by CoreysMonster
yeah we're all dead now. Turns out we've been in hell all along.

About the LHC

Quote by 3rdActguitarist
I've got one years experience at playing guitar and I wanted to know, is "Bark At The Moon" supposed to be too much for me to handle right now? I only ask this question because it seems like most people around here that are on my skill level, barely know how to play chords and are learning simple songs like "Smells Like Teen Spirit" or the rhythm part to "Smoke On The Water." I'm not trying to be mean or put anybody down, but I've noticed that some people who have been playing for 6, 7, or 8 months barly know how to down-tune a guitar; something I knew how to do after about 3 months. I never spent anytime on practicing chords, but I can play them fine now. Am I just a quick learner, or did I rush into my playing?

Don't get too high and mighty One of the biggest problems the guitar community has with it is the negative competition that this kind of thought provokes. If after a year people are still learning Smells Like Teen Spirit and Smoke on the Water (even the rythm part), they're either lying about how long they have played, or there's some other factor holding them back (being self-taught but not being good at it, not playing every day, etc.).

As for down-tuning, that's really not something standard that everybody learns. My uncle played guitar for a jazz band for 25 years (and he's pretty damn good), and didn't learn how to properly down-tune until they got a record deal and their producer decide he wanted to record with the guitar down tuned an octave.
"God has a sense of humor. Just look at the Platypus."
Yeah, down-tuning isn't exactly a skill to go crowing about....it's not even a skill. A lot of people don't play downtuned stuff so they're never going to use it, but it's not like it's an achievement if you have. Also Smells like Teen Spirit isn't an easy song by any stretch of the imagination.

As far as Bark at the Moon goes, well, you're as good or as bad as you are. Some people learn fast, some quickly, pretty much every guitarist learns things in a different order and will have differnent priorities. In short, you're no better or worse than anyone else who's been playing a year. Only you know how good you are, and whether you've learned properly or if you've rushed through and half learned a load of stuff.

After a year you should know the notes on the fretboard, the basics of chord construction and the major scale, be able to fret open and barre chords cleanly and change quickly and accurately, palm mute and left hand damp, be able to bend to pitch constistently...stuff like that. Songs aren't a measure of your ability, it's your basic technique that's crucial. If those bread and butter techniques aren't up to scratch then you need to start back at the beginning...like I said, only you know that, the important thing is to be brutally honest with yourself.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven_seagull, are you sure that's what you should know by a year? Most people I know that play the guitar can do that stuff by 6 months, except the palm muting and left hand damp...
Quote by dysonsphere
steven_seagull, are you sure that's what you should know by a year? Most people I know that play the guitar can do that stuff by 6 months, except the palm muting and left hand damp...

No he's right, course you could be able to do it, hell in less than 6 months if u practiced alot or possibly played another instrument before hand.

Its how well you do it and how good your technique is... And palm muting has to be the easiest technique out of the ones he named!
Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.

Quote by dysonsphere

Knowing something is one thing, knowing it properly and being able to use it effectively is another.

Its how well you do it and how good your technique is... And palm muting has to be the easiest technique out of the ones he named!

Not really, it takes a while to get the hang of it and develop a light enough touch...besides, you have to learn palm muting after learning a few other things, there's no point learning to palm mute if you can't pick properly.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Aug 1, 2007,
Quote by steven seagull
Not really, it takes a while to get the hang of it and develop a light enough touch...besides, you have to learn palm muting after learning a few other things, there's no point learning to palm mute if you can't pick properly.

It came naturally to me tbh, different for others obviously. True but you never mentioned picking as one the techniques

Anyway we agree on the principle that it takes longer than said time to learn and use them all effectivly
Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.

well if you can play the solo (good) also i would say yes, but if you can just play the grunt of the song i'd say no, youd be preogressing prettey good though.
neither, you're probably referring to some friends who own a guitar. I seriously doubt anyone you're talking about who doesn't know chords is taking guitar seriously at all. You just have discipline unlike most people, that's it.
Quote by dysonsphere

I learned palm muting as one of the first things..

People learn at different paces, and there's nothing wrong with that. I learned the solo to Stairway at about a year and a month. Some people would be very proud, some would call it normal. There's nothing wrong with learning fast or slow.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
Quote by steven seagull
Yeah, down-tuning isn't exactly a skill to go crowing about....it's not even a skill. A lot of people don't play downtuned stuff so they're never going to use it, but it's not like it's an achievement if you have. Also Smells like Teen Spirit isn't an easy song by any stretch of the imagination.

As far as Bark at the Moon goes, well, you're as good or as bad as you are. Some people learn fast, some quickly, pretty much every guitarist learns things in a different order and will have differnent priorities. In short, you're no better or worse than anyone else who's been playing a year. Only you know how good you are, and whether you've learned properly or if you've rushed through and half learned a load of stuff.

After a year you should know the notes on the fretboard, the basics of chord construction and the major scale, be able to fret open and barre chords cleanly and change quickly and accurately, palm mute and left hand damp, be able to bend to pitch constistently...stuff like that. Songs aren't a measure of your ability, it's your basic technique that's crucial. If those bread and butter techniques aren't up to scratch then you need to start back at the beginning...like I said, only you know that, the important thing is to be brutally honest with yourself.

dude you are freaking awesome man!you make some of the best replies here in UG!

quit fishing, you ain't getting a cookie
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

To each his own. I've played for 2 years and dont have my fretboard memorized! >
Gear
Ibanez RGR521EX1
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500R
Roland Cube
Spider II 30
-Crybaby GCB-95
-SansAmp GT2
-Boss DS-1, RC-2
after 3 years my knowledge of theory is still minimal, i plan to get lessons soon and ask the teacher to treat me like a first time guitarist to make sure i get the basics perfect.
i can play some of the slower-mid speed john petrucci licks but that doesn't make me as good as john petrucci and i definitely couldn't write anything to that standard. don't focus on what songs you can or cannot play, it doesn't depict how good you are (although tell that to the people in matchetts playing the solo from "one" by metallica) focus on technique, just don't let it get boring. also don't see progression as a race just learn at your pace and no one can tell you you're a bad guitarist (unless of course you're an arrogant prat who claims to be so and deserves to be flamed )
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by 3rdActguitarist
. Am I just a quick learner, or did I rush into my playing?

It's thinking like this that begins you on the road of doom as far as guitar progress
is concerned.

Zen Masters have it right when they say you should always strive to have "beginner's
mind". That's where learning and progress happen. "Expert's mind" is the end
of progress.

When you start thinking you're too good, or you should know something by now,
for a certain kind of practicing, your progress will stop. I still go back over stuff
I learned many years ago. Basic stuff. A lot of times I find out new things and
ways I can improve it.
Perhaps I should have phrased my question a little differently, as to save myself from the flames. I wanted to know if I should have learned basic chords and scales when I started playing as opposed to the rifts of "Louie, Louie" or "Smoke One The Water." I consider myself a a quick-learn, because I picked up scales and other things pretty quick, however I didn't half-ass them either. I don't half-ass anything, because that, to me, is just a lazy man's way of completing something. I am by no means a great, or even good guitarist, I'm only decent in my own eyes. I realize I have a long road ahead of me if I want to be a musician, but, I think, at the rate I'm going, I can do it.
I used to envy people who could pick up the guitar pretty quickly.

Now I don't. And I'll tell you why: because everyone will plateau eventually. And what is important is how you deal with the plateau - do you put the instrument down, or do you go back and review basics? Do you seek out additional help, or do you let yourself continue to struggle? There will come a time when the instrument is NOT as easy as it seems now, and that sort of revelation can be quite shocking the first few times around. Best to get used to it.

Anyway, I'd suggest making recordings of some stuff to get feedback.

edit- saw your new message. Don't skip chords and scales. Learn the chords and where they are used. Invent progressions of your own. And certainly learn scales. They are your musical vocabulary.
i don't define myself by what silly groups i join.
Last edited by antareus at Aug 2, 2007,