My floyd rose causes my guitar to go outa tune everytime I put it under major use, its properly balanced, the innotation is fine the action is fine everything tht I can see is fine but My guitar tutor has told me that my floyd roses knife edge may need adjusting to suit the string gauge (I changed from .9 to .10) to stop the tuning from going bye bye

Erm what and where is the knife edge and how can it be adjusted?
and what do I need t do to make that adjustment?
Hmmm..so basically this is what you're saying.

You were with someone that knows about this topic and knows how to fix it but yet when told the problem you didnt ask exactly what it was and how to do the fix. And basically said ok, only to turn to the forum to ask how to do this repair where it will take alot more effort because we need to describe and explain whereas someone in person could just show right there and then?

Correct me if im wrong
dont be a dick head it was last minute, I was shattered and I had things to do and he had another student waiting so I didnt have the time to ask and sit through a tutorial about what it was and how to go about reseting it

Now can someone helpful answer please?
The knife edges are the blocks that are tightened by the saddle lock screws (the ones that stick out the side opposite of the strings)

Are the strings new?

If so you should stretch them thoroughly. If the problem persists use the search function.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
has been happening since I started using .10's an its happened to every set so far, it aint the strings :P what do I nee dto do to adjust these knifeedges?

And as for take it to a guitar shop.,,you going to give me the money for the rip off the shop down here charges? lol

(they refuse to do individual parts they always say £45 and we give it a full check,,,even if you tell em exactly what the problem is)
actually, the knife edges are where the trem rests on the trem posts. The edges are what it pivots on, and are the primary culprit with cheaper LFR trems going out of tune. IF they aren't made from hardened steel, they tend to wear, and this causes tuning problems.

Are you sure he didn't just mean adjusting the springs in the back for new strings? Is your trem sitting exactly parallel and level with the body?
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Could it be your not tightning the nut locks very well? You cant tighten those by hand you need to use the allen wrench to do it properly
Read the original post please,,,,everything else is fine including the balance

And the nut locks are tight enough, I can turn the tuning head and the strings below the nut dont shift even a semitone
Quote by sajuuk
Read the original post please,,,,everything else is fine including the balance

And the nut locks are tight enough, I can turn the tuning head and the strings below the nut dont shift even a semitone

well, it doesn't make sense then. There is nothing you can adjust on a knife edge, it's either a sharp point, or it's dull and wearing down. The only thing you can do is refile them, but that has nothing to do with string guage.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
So you are tighning it with the allen wrench am i correct?
Because the tuning head does not put nearly as much tension on the strings as the FR does.
Also are you stretching your strings before locking the nut
yes I am closing them with an allen wrench and the strings are properly stretched before doing so and I even double check afterwards (plus I use string bending alot in general playing anywho so either way even if I dont stretch em out before hand they gonna get stretched sooner or later)

And this is getting confusing :S:S:S lol
Well other than that i dont know. Maybe hold off on the wailing whammies for a bit until your next guitar check?

EDIT: Maybe Its a cheap FR?
Vigier guitars have developed a new system that uses ball bearings instead of knives.