Ok... My vibrato isn't very smooth. It's pretty wild. I like it and have gotten used to it. It sounds alright. So should I leave it that way and consider it my "style" or should I learn the proper smooth vibrato? Cheers!
for rent
well, you could learn to use proper vibrato as well as "your" vibrato
my gear: ibanez destroyer( with gibson 500t pickup), epiphone les paul plus,ampeg electric, marshall jcm2000 triple super lead half stack
Learning a proper vibrato is essential for lead players. I think that you should learn the proper way, and then you can develop your own style from there.
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
But what is the proper way? Maybe mine is alright... Anyone has a video or something? I really don't know, never had problems, but I can see it's pretty rapid, as opposed to, say, the one Steve Vai uses in the For The Love Of God video.
for rent
Well, you can adjust the speed. The proper way is bending above and below the note to equal distances.
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
^ that's the proper method for a wide vibrato, not neccessarily vibrato in general. Vibrato is vibrato and there's no correct method of doing it. Any change in and return of pitch is a vibrato.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Well, I heard some metal players use the rapid wild one... Blues is for wide vibrato which I can't seem to do expertly But mine sounds sexy!
for rent
Heh, i do my vibratos as you would see in an orchestra (violins/violas) i dont do any bends i just move my wrist back and forth sliding up and down on the fret. And as for faster or slower it really deppends on the sound you want. Like he said above i dont think theyre is a proper or unproper way of doing it.
My vibrato is as mimic of Joe Satriani's. Short, soul-full and subtle.
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
No, I do wanna learn the proper way, just can't seem to find a reliable source. Anyone got a vid of Kirk Hammet's vibrato, since I'm learn some of his solos right now for a cover band contest.
for rent
I would say the closest thing to a "REAL" vibrato i guess is a classical vibrato like you see with violins. Its no an up an down motion its a left to right motion. Like your gonna slide up to another fret but you dont you just go left and right within the fret you are in.
^ A real vibrato is any repeated change of and return to pitch - THAT'S IT. Technique has nothing to do with it.
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Thats why i said the "closest" because it seems like he is exchanging the words real and maybe like original or classical.

And commenting on your sig: No i didnt, i wanted a fighter jet.
Put finger on string, and flap your wrist side to side. Like if you were doing the weird Hawaii thingy with your fingers. Makes your hand turn into a bird type thing ... lol
Hmm i got a simpler one, pretend your jacking off, then move your arm over and put the desired finger onthe desired fret. And there it is.
Quote by Chaosinborn
I would say the closest thing to a "REAL" vibrato i guess is a classical vibrato like you see with violins. Its no an up an down motion its a left to right motion. Like your gonna slide up to another fret but you dont you just go left and right within the fret you are in.

Unless you have a fretless guitar... that's not gonna work.

EDIT: Nm I stopped reading when you said up and down the fret, not bending...
Last edited by ClaytonOT at Aug 1, 2007,
Unless you have some incredibly fat fingers i dont see why not. Ill try to find a video when i get home.
Quote by Chaosinborn
Thats why i said the "closest" because it seems like he is exchanging the words real and maybe like original or classical.

And commenting on your sig: No i didnt, i wanted a fighter jet.

He never said real. The proper method he's refering to is the common equal pitch change and return. His method is wild, with each change possibly different then the next. You're refering to a technique violinists use to create vibrato which is irrelevent because you can use either or technique to create either or vibrato.

My sig was a jab at GM's product placement in Transformers. Don't think anyone would disagree, regardless of whether or not they saw the movie, that owning an F-22 Raptor would kick ass.
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
I meant to write proper not real.

And yes i noticed. And there was a ton of product placement of other things too.
Quote by Chaosinborn
And yes i noticed. And there was a ton of product placement of other things too.

GM's was the most notable - The producers saved around 8 million on the budget by using mainly GM vehicles. The battle between Bumblebee and Barracade was obviously a metaphor for the pony car rivalry between Ford and Cheverolet during the early 80s through early 00s (although, in real life, the outcome was reversed).

Ibanez JEM 7VWH
If you want to work on vibrato, my advice would be to watch some video's of the master, BB King.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Chaosinborn
Bumblebee was my favorite.

I was routing for Barracade - I own a Mustang
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
So basically, it doesn't really matter HOW I do it, as long as the pitch change is equal, right?
for rent
Quote by Gakusey
So basically, it doesn't really matter HOW I do it, as long as the pitch change is equal, right?

The pitch change doesn't HAVE to be equal! That's the beauty of vibrato! It's just has to be a repeated change and return to pitch. Play it how you want to and make it sound however you want it to. If you like a nice, smooth, even vibrato then practice making equal length bends and returns. If you want a wide sounding vibrato, practice bending the string above, then below the pitch. If you like a wild, untammed vibrato then don't change a thing.

Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Quote by Bazilisck311
The pitch change doesn't HAVE to be equal! That's the beauty of vibrato! It's just has to be a repeated change and return to pitch. Play it how you want to and make it sound however you want it to. If you like a nice, smooth, even vibrato then practice making equal length bends and returns. If you want a wide sounding vibrato, practice bending the string above, then below the pitch. If you like a wild, untammed vibrato then don't change a thing.

Hell yeah, cheers man
for rent