Right, so I bought Half Life:Source, Half-life 2 and Episode One today (some special edition, they're all on one disc) but whenever I try to run any of them I get that fucking blue error screen that tells me there's been a serious error. All my drivers are up to date and all my computer's components are powerful enough to handle it but it still won't work. Anyone got any idea what's going on?
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
What video card do you have?

P.S. Half-Life: Source is a waste of time if you've already beaten Half-Life.
Are you trying to install through steam, if not, install steam and register the games and download he files there.
it could be a hardware problem.

Try running memtest86 to eliminate RAM issues.

Do other games work fine?
Is this "Orange Box"? Like does it come with Portal?
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
Yeh it probably WASNT the best time 2 get them now, since theres the orange box coming out soon and hopefully the reworked version of Half-Life:Source this year (the current one uses the old crappy graphics but with the Source engine rather than using the Source engine to its potenital)

As MeGaDeTh suggested, it may be your video card, get a 7600GS+ or X850?+ (no idea bout ATI cards) card.
ATI have also just released their latest video card with comes bundled with the orange box, though you should only check it out if ur a serious gamer (we'r talkin $500 absolute minimum for a video card, should set you up for the next decade though =] ).

Anyway its a good game.
Enjoy
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone SG Special Customshop
Jackson JS30RR

Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss Metal Zone
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Ibanez Lo Fi
Behringer Tuner

Marshall AVT100X

Quote by IUseAPurplePick
Quote by Joshrocker48
I Use a purple pick.

+1
Orange box is the reason I just bought a new computer.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
Quote by slashnmash
Portal looks so badass, has anyone seen the trailer?

Yea Portal is schmexy. I'mma get that jaunt.
I believe that could be a problem with your RAM. It might be damaged. Blue Screen of Death = memory error.

What you should do is (if you have more than one RAM stick) take one out and try again, and if it fails, put in the one you took out and take out the other and so forth. If they all fail, go and buy a new stick and test with it.
لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله
Last edited by AzureNight at Aug 1, 2007,
Quote by dunda130
Yeh it probably WASNT the best time 2 get them now, since theres the orange box coming out soon and hopefully the reworked version of Half-Life:Source this year (the current one uses the old crappy graphics but with the Source engine rather than using the Source engine to its potenital)

As MeGaDeTh suggested, it may be your video card, get a 7600GS+ or X850?+ (no idea bout ATI cards) card.
ATI have also just released their latest video card with comes bundled with the orange box, though you should only check it out if ur a serious gamer (we'r talkin $500 absolute minimum for a video card, should set you up for the next decade though =] ).

Anyway its a good game.
Enjoy

You get Nvidia 7600GTs off www.dabs.com for like £70, that is what is in mine and it runs a lot of stuff.
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
What video card do you have?

P.S. Half-Life: Source is a waste of time if you've already beaten Half-Life.

Never played either of them.

And it's old (GeForce 6200 LE ) but I've run newer games on the PC fine (albeit with appalling graphics). It runs on Direct X 9 and the box says you only need 7 (I could be misinterpreting something here, if I was an expert at this kinda thing I wouldn't be asking).

Quote by slashnmash
Are you trying to install through steam, if not, install steam and register the games and download he files there.

The games have installed fine and are registered on Steam, they just cut to the blue screen during the opening screens (like the Valve logo and stuff).

Quote by gurusan
it could be a hardware problem.

Try running memtest86 to eliminate RAM issues.

Do other games work fine?

Yeah, other (newer) games work fine.

One question though: How exactly do I run memtest86?

Quote by i have to pee
Is this "Orange Box"? Like does it come with Portal?

Nope, called Holiday 2006 collection.

Quote by dunda130

Anyway its a good game.
Enjoy

Given the state of my graphics card, not that bothred about new graphics.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde