Ok, so i am learning how to sweep pick, BUT
i know how to do the finger techniques, where you make sure you dont leave any strings ringing and take your finger off the note right after you pick it
BUT
my problem is i really dont get the picking style,
i just cant to that little thing where you just fly the pick acros the strings and hit eevery note, i do like a somewhat picking somewhat sweep thing

how do you pick the damn strings?>
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
He's just trying to protect our innocence.

Yes i am
Quote by :Vicious--

Your flirting powers are incredible.

Gear:
Schecter S1 Elite Black Cherry (Soapbar Neck, Invader Bridge)
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
long story short, the way it was explained to me is that its like a controlled strum. i've been practicing it like this for a while now. i've also noticed thats more or less what the sweep godz use. check out some youtube vids for examples.
what do you mean controlled strum?

i relaly dont get the picking at all,..?
A Controlled Strum, like i see Synyster Gates, Paul Gilbert, Jerry C, and some other poeple do them...
and the picking looks... INSANE how???
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig

Yes i am

Gear:
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
^ watch some paul gilbert vids to get the best idea. i dunno if A7X is the best example of how to be controlled and clean. what i mean is that it is basically a strum, but it is controlled so that you hit one string at a time. also make sure that you release the previous note (effectively muting the string) before hitting the next note. it requires a bit of practice and like i said, i've been practicing it off and on for 6 months now or so. also a low string action really helps because you want a minimal amount of pressure required to use this technique.
oki get the downstrokes

but the upstrokes sound like me punching the **** out of my strings..
and i AM watching paul gilbert riught now

so how to do the upstrokes? same thing?
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig

Yes i am

Gear:
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
Just carefully strum up and down, like you were just playing a chord, and get faster and faster.
from what i understand when you do the strokes your pick should be at an angle conducive to movement going both down and up. if you look at the angle at which he holds his pick you may notice this. to counteract this personally i hold my pick by the very tip (which is natural for me, i've been playing like this for years) so that only a tiny bit hits the string and the angle of the pick attack becomes almost irrelevent (you will still need to angle it a bit but not nearly as much, it may be almost unnoticeable) but it does definately still take time and practice to get down. remember start slowly and cleanly and work up the speed. initially all my "sweep picked" parts just sounded like quickly arpeggiated individually hit chords (also im working 5 string sweeps to start with so the learning curve will be higher than say 3 string sweeps which i've gotten ALOT better at)
OK FOR THE LOVE OF GOD i just can't do this picking crap

Like, i get the whole downstroke, but it sucks SOOOOO bad, i mean i cant get the habit of just letting the pick glide, i am always somehow picking the strings...
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig

Yes i am

Gear:
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
^ ok, i think i see what the problem is.

when you strum, your hand has a constant down motion (or up when coming up) when you PICK a string individually you hit the string and then stop. you want to have a constant down motion. try this

do a downward strum really slowly so that you hear each note ring, don't worry about the notes bleeding together, you just want a slow downward and upward strum to hear the notes individually.

once you have that down you'll want to do this. don't hold down the whole chord, coordinate your hands so that you are just fretting one string/note at a time. in the beginning you may want to go very slow. you just want a singular motion in one direction to get started. just try down picking/sweeping/strumming (or however you want to word it) at first to get used to it and remember you hit the note, release the finger, hit the next note, release the finger and repeat. you want a smooth motion, regardless of how fast or slow you're going.
Quote by Guitarplaya27
OK FOR THE LOVE OF GOD i just can't do this picking crap

Like, i get the whole downstroke, but it sucks SOOOOO bad, i mean i cant get the habit of just letting the pick glide, i am always somehow picking the strings...

Slow it all down dude, everyone has been through this and you need to slow it right down to get the hand to "learn" the motion.

Try keeping the pick perpendicular to the strings at all times (90 degrees to them).

Slowly, without moving your arm, just move the wrist down through the strings then back up whilst keeping the pick at 90 degrees to the strings (its actually hard because your wrist moves in a small arc).

Its a controlled strum like previously stated. Just push the pick through the strings slowly and then gradually build the speed up. It took me months to get the picking hand to do this.

Edit: z4weeny has explained it better...
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
^ hmmmmm
that helps alot

thank you
so basically, i just almost strum it, but dont strum all the way,
SO i strum but let the pick hit the notes as idividuals?
=
controlled strum
im an idiot
thanks
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig

Yes i am

Gear:
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
^ yeah man, thats the right direction there. again i can't illustrate how important string height is in this. because it takes an n'th of a second to fret a string and if your string is high up it requires more pressure and takes a tiny bit longer to press down, let up, then move to the next string. like i and the other poster have said, controlled strum, push through and GO SLOW which is incredibly important when first learning. sweeping is a funny thing because some people pick it up right away and some people (like me) have to practice it for a while before you start really getting used to it.
Contrary to what was said above, I would suggest you don't watch any Gilbert vids. He mostly string skips, and doesnt sweep. although there is the one video from like the eighties on youtube....

here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=nb_0fQwtwgo

edit: I thought I'd add my own input as well. To me, a sweep is basically doing a "strum" but synchronizing it with the left hand so that you play each individual note in that sweep while keeping a constant raking motion with the picking hand. Do not try to pick each string, you have to sort of push the pick across the strings. The key is to do it slow enough (or fast enough in some cases) to match up with the notes that you have fretted.
Last edited by cinder39 at Aug 4, 2007,
you can try the 90 degrees thing, but i think leaning the pick at angles makes it easier. in a downward strum, tilt the pick so that the strings naturally slide off the pick, and for the upward strum, tilt it the opposite way so the strings keep sliding off the pick. hope that helps. most instructional videos i've seen advise this too.