Page 1 of 2
Well i've been playing for about 5 months now. I've just had my first lesson and want to get a new guitar.my max price would be about £300 and im mostly into metal (pantera, metallica and the likes) .

I'm looking at the ibanezrgr321ex or just an ibanezrg321 (the 321ex has emg designed pickups) or a hohner les paul copy with gibson pickups some guy i know is selling for £280. If anyone has had experience with these guitars can you tell me which would be best, thanks.

I forgot to mention i want a fixed neck.
Last edited by skinzpoison at Aug 1, 2007,
What do you have right now?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Is it the feel or the sound that you don't like?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by skinzpoison
Under £300 and good? pishaw!

I've seek the DK2 and KVX10 for under £300
ohai little sig.
dont buy a warwick or any other "metal guitar" because i bet you wont always like pantera. buy something that can do both like an epiphone, although the ibanez would be a good choice
I'm getting a DK2M for £320 - thats not really pushing your budget too much.
Dk2m's are pretty awesome jackson's, i second that, i swear...i have never seen a jackson or ibanez that couldn't play classic rock and do cleans as well, i mean , maybe that new xiphos would have problems since it has pickups based on active's but seriously, my ibanez does classic rock jesusly, and i think that jackson would be amazing at it, considering it's got the same woods used on it as on a strat, the humbuckers would give a good rock sound and also clean up very well if they're the duncan designed ones
The difference between the rgr321ex and rg321 is that the rgr321ex has emg designed pups (yeay!) but has a basswood body (Not yeay) whereas the rg321 has maple.
Wait till you can afford an RG1570. It will be worth it. Christmas aint that far off, ask for a contribution then. Seriously, it will be worth it. You'll only be dissapointed a month or so down the line if you buy either of those guitars. The only RGs worth it are the Prestiges, and they ARE worth it, trust me.
Quote by Sid McCall
Is it the feel or the sound that you don't like?

Pretty much both it cant handle much distortion as it just goes into a fuzz and the neck is quite well for lack of a better term just crap.
Quote by Edamr
Wait till you can afford an RG1570. It will be worth it. Christmas aint that far off, ask for a contribution then. Seriously, it will be worth it. You'll only be dissapointed a month or so down the line if you buy either of those guitars. The only RGs worth it are the Prestiges, and they ARE worth it, trust me.

It's good yeah but im still only a beginner and i got to buy an amp aswell.
Quote by skinzpoison

My advice to you mate is to get the amp sorted first. A nice amp will contribute more to your tone.

My mate has a Crafter super-strat thing too and it sounds alright when put through my Orange amp. Rather than cutting yourself short I'd get a decent amp, possibly a valve amp of sorts depending on your budget then concentrating on a new guitar later on
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I was thinking along the lines of a roland 30 or something like that. I'm afraid to say it aswell but i want the line 6 spider 3 75 watt *hides*.
Well, trust me mate, all the things people say about the Line 6 Spider aren't made up :P The Roland Cube's are a pretty good choice. I played one when I was trying out a Big Muff and it sounded pretty cool. Oh man, it'll probably be out of your price range like, but you should try out the Engl valve amps, pretty sexy for your type of music mate

Just get used to your guitar, your first guitar will become something of a companion I still use my first one more than my better PGM.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Kurapica
Well, trust me mate, all the things people say about the Line 6 Spider aren't made up :P The Roland Cube's are a pretty good choice. I played one when I was trying out a Big Muff and it sounded pretty cool. Oh man, it'll probably be out of your price range like, but you should try out the Engl valve amps, pretty sexy for your type of music mate

Just get used to your guitar, your first guitar will become something of a companion I still use my first one more than my better PGM.

Ooooh yeah engl valve amps are cool. I'll love mah first guitar like it was my own
There are no mpale RG's... The 321 is Mahogany and theres nothing wrong with basswood.
My advice to you is stick with your Crafter untill you get better. I found playing with a not-so-good guitar made me work harder and I got better quicker. Maybe its just some weird physcological thing with me but I find its faster to progress with a bad guitar, it really builds your love for the instrument and makes you work harder to come over its imperfections. I would buy the Cube 30X right now and wait till your have enough money and the chops to handle a real nice guitar.
Ibanez are good for metal. But make sure you have a good idea on what kind of music you want to play.

Schecters are great all around guitars, so are some Gibsons, and Epiphones. Go to a guitar store and spend a lot of time playing different guitars, until you find the one you like.

Also, make sure you have a good Amplifier. No matter what guitar you have, if your Amplifier is a piece of crap, you'll never get a good sound.
Ibanez sz320 are great guitars. nice thick sound and great for metal but also an allrounder. i really like mine. decent stock pickups too!
Quote by skinzpoison
I was thinking along the lines of a roland 30 or something like that. I'm afraid to say it aswell but i want the line 6 spider 3 75 watt *hides*.

DUDE NO NO NO NO NO!!!
Fender Standard Telecaster
Peavey Envoy 110
Boss DS-1 EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone Behringer DD400 Digital Delay
Digitech Bad Monkey
Quote by XibanezedgeX
There are no mpale RG's... The 321 is Mahogany and theres nothing wrong with basswood.

Woops my bad.
Quote by FenderBassist21
DUDE NO NO NO NO NO!!!

It's mainly due to all the artist pre sets.
^ They don't sound at all like them! They sound garbage.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
^ They don't sound at all like them! They sound garbage.

:O nooooooo i was on the site and it sounded cool .
Quote by skinzpoison

I appreciate that, because I was/am in exactly the same position. Still a beginner with an RG1570. Reason? - the long run. I knew I was going to stick at guitar whatever, so thought - may as well invest in a decent guitar rather than a semi-decent half-way house.
maybe its not a good idea to get a guitar with a floyd rose if your just learning also youll wanna be changing tunings alot and with a floyd that might become a hassle i recommend something like an epiphone les paul custom or standard oh and also to add about the amp best two to choose from are the cube or a vox valvetronix
NO ONES GONNA TAKE ME ALIVE
THE TIME HAS COME TO MAKE THINGS RIGHT
Either buy a better amp, or keep saving...

Beginner gear never holds it's value and in another 6 months or so when you want a decent guitar, you'll have £300 less towards it. Unfortunately in the UK, a good guitar is going to cost you MINIMUM £600 - you'll get a mediocre guitar for 300, nothing more.
Quote by exitmusic
maybe its not a good idea to get a guitar with a floyd rose if your just learning also youll wanna be changing tunings alot and with a floyd that might become a hassle i recommend something like an epiphone les paul custom or standard oh and also to add about the amp best two to choose from are the cube or a vox valvetronix

My guitar teacher warned me on that, and i agree it is too soon.

I got a weekend job which gets me £60 a weekend so when i want a good guitar i can add all that money together+christmas.

Im now in a deceider between a vox valvetronix or a roland cube.
Last edited by skinzpoison at Aug 2, 2007,
^Perhaps wait for the Vox Valvetronix black ones (can't remember, XL or something) to come out. Apparently it is more geared towards metal than the regular series.
Quote by Mwoit
^Perhaps wait for the Vox Valvetronix black ones (can't remember, XL or something) to come out. Apparently it is more geared towards metal than the regular series.

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/31793/a/r/e/base

Im guessing they're already out and only £30 more!

Mwoit you have a cube 30, is it any good?
Last edited by skinzpoison at Aug 3, 2007,
The only difference i see in the vavlvetronix xl is that it has an octave effect. Or are the amp presets different?
Quote by skinzpoison
Pretty much both it cant handle much distortion as it just goes into a fuzz and the neck is quite well for lack of a better term just crap.

That means you need a new amp more than a new guitar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
That means you need a new amp more than a new guitar.

The amp affects the neck?
I was referring more to the "can't handle distortion" bit...as far as the neck goes is it really that bad? Or is it simply a case of it feels "bad" becasue you can't play as fast as you want on it?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
I was referring more to the "can't handle distortion" bit...as far as the neck goes is it really that bad? Or is it simply a case of it feels "bad" becasue you can't play as fast as you want on it?

Well theres a tiny (and by tiny i mean very very tiny) piece on one of the bars that if i drag my hand past cuts me ,has quite a few dents in it (on front and back) and feels quite small comparred to a guitar i tried out at a guitar lesson once.

Also i've tried sanding the piece down but its at an awkward angle.
Quote by skinzpoison
:O nooooooo i was on the site and it sounded cool .

um dude, i have a line 6, and unless u are uber set on having perfect tone, or u are going to be playing on stage, they rock. they dont have the same tone u can get thru a slightly more expensive Vox and most definitely dont have the tone u can get thru a nice tube. but for the price and ur skill level, the line 6 should be perfect. it gives u a lot of sounds to mess around with and ti keeps things interesting. if you are going to be performing or something, dont get the line 6, if ur an extreme tone person, dont get it. but if ru a noob like me who likes to just play around by himself and soemtimes with friends, get the line six

PS im goin to be using my 150watt to perform a little at church and stuff and i find it to be perfectly fine, when i said use it to perform i meant like in an serious performing situation
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by bored_maniac33
um dude, i have a line 6, and unless u are uber set on having perfect tone, or u are going to be playing on stage, they rock. they dont have the same tone u can get thru a slightly more expensive Vox and most definitely dont have the tone u can get thru a nice tube. but for the price and ur skill level, the line 6 should be perfect. it gives u a lot of sounds to mess around with and ti keeps things interesting. if you are going to be performing or something, dont get the line 6, if ur an extreme tone person, dont get it. but if ru a noob like me who likes to just play around by himself and soemtimes with friends, get the line six

PS im goin to be using my 150watt to perform a little at church and stuff and i find it to be perfectly fine, when i said use it to perform i meant like in an serious performing situation

Very good point although they are quite expenisve. I think for something like that i should wait till christmas so i actually have something to play with instead of just strumming to some presets.
Page 1 of 2