mesa half stack or a tube combo? that is the question.
*Gibson SG
*Fender Strat
*B.C. Rich NJ Series Mocking Bird

*Ibanez PF series acoustic
*Ibanez AE 30
your other threads confuse me. what's your budget and styles?
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Spend $3000 And Get A Mesa Stack!
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
i confuse my damn self. umidk red jumpsuit, paramore, underoath, emanuel, halifax, yellowcard, three days grace.
*Gibson SG
*Fender Strat

*Ibanez AE 30
i dont have $3000! I work at a theme park and im going to college!!
*Gibson SG
*Fender Strat

*Ibanez AE 30
I have a crappy tube combo, not saying all combos are crappy because that would be BLASPHEMY!!!!! but i regret spending the money on a combo.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
no im not in a band but i play a ton.
*Gibson SG
*Fender Strat

*Ibanez AE 30
tube combo dude. not a hugee one thhough. i got a stack and can't crank it cause its too loud. not very practical but nicee to have nonetheless. heavy as hell and hard to carry around to jams so go with t he combo.
Deacon of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join
speed demon of the UG Jeepers
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
well i have a randall 200w ss amp but im all about going all out and having bigger and louder and better sounding.
*Gibson SG
*Fender Strat

*Ibanez AE 30
Quote by tr3nt
I have a crappy tube combo, not saying all combos are crappy because that would be BLASPHEMY!!!!! but i regret spending the money on a combo.

That's because you bought a ****ty combo...Better tube combos out there than VKs, for sure.

You could probably hit all those bands except for Emanuel and Underoath with a Orange Tiny Terror. That's like 600 for just the head, though. Then just get a good pedal to drive it to the higher gain tones.

A Traynor YCV40 would do all those bands. Look used, in New York's craigslist. I found mine for 400.

If you're not playing in a band, and just want it for bedroom jamming, just grab a Vox AD30VT or AD15VT...Definitely don't need a halfstack for that purpose.
You don't need a half stack. It's too expensive and too much power. A good tube combo will be fine. I just got a Mesa DC-3. I finally stopped playing it to check UG, and Master of Puppets is till echoing in my head. I'd definitely recommend a combo. Budget?
like $1500 max
*Gibson SG
*Fender Strat

*Ibanez AE 30
as for combos:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rarely-Used-Mesa-Boogie-Single-Rectifier-Recto-Verb-50_W0QQitemZ140142332658QQihZ004QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
probably around $1000

http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-JSX-212-Combo-All-Tube-Amplifier-As-new-Mint_W0QQitemZ180143578964QQihZ008QQcategoryZ38076QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
also $1000

http://cgi.ebay.com/Traynor-40-watt-Amplifier-WR40-Wine-red-with-extras_W0QQitemZ110154534843QQihZ001QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
~$600, i've yet to try this one.

as for heads, they're gonna run you a bit more because of a cab needed. check out 2x12's as i find they're better 'looking.'

single recto, 5150/6505, laneys... that's what i got so far.

i understand the 'need' for a halfstack, but at least consider a 2x12.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

im going to community college so im living at home for now.
*Gibson SG
*Fender Strat

*Ibanez AE 30
There are better tube combos than the Valveking but they cost two to three times as much and don't sound two to three times better. I would not be ashamed at all to play one next to any other amp on the planet.
A tube combo of your choice may be the best option. I have a half stack but most often I use my combo. If I need more I just hook up my 412 cab. You could do the same down the road and have the best of both worlds. Easier to transport and plenty of power. Nothing wrong with a stack, they sound great. You have to decide what works better for you.
^ ha, she plays mainly heavy music where a twin reverb wouldn't cut it.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by uldhppi
There are better tube combos than the Valveking but they cost two to three times as much and don't sound two to three times better. I would not be ashamed at all to play one next to any other amp on the planet.
A tube combo of your choice may be the best option. I have a half stack but most often I use my combo. If I need more I just hook up my 412 cab. You could do the same down the road and have the best of both worlds. Easier to transport and plenty of power. Nothing wrong with a stack, they sound great. You have to decide what works better for you.

VKs are okay, but I wouldn't choose one. And I disagree, if you go used, there are tons of amps that DO sound 2 to 3 times better.
I've seen a Fender Bassman blackface go for 350....I got my Traynor YCV40 for 400....I see Peavey Classic 30's go for 300-500....You can find JCM800's for around 500-700, if you know where to look...Tons of options, and many more that I haven't named.
+1

That's why buying used rules! I got my AC30 and a Fender Deluxe Reverb each for the cost of a Valveking.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by forsaknazrael
VKs are okay, but I wouldn't choose one. And I disagree, if you go used, there are tons of amps that DO sound 2 to 3 times better.
I've seen a Fender Bassman blackface go for 350....I got my Traynor YCV40 for 400....I see Peavey Classic 30's go for 300-500....You can find JCM800's for around 500-700, if you know where to look...Tons of options, and many more that I haven't named.

I would be interested in the extent of your experience with the VK.
Absolutely I would check the used market before I bought any new amp. I checked it out before I bought my VK. Unfortunately the used amps I had access to did not offer the features or the versatility I was looking for.
Last edited by uldhppi at Aug 2, 2007,
Quote by uldhppi
I would be interested in the extent of your experience with the VK.
Absolutely I would check the used market before I bought any new amp. I checked it out before I bought my VK. Unfortunately the used amps I had access to did not offer the features or the versatility I was looking for.

I just was not impressed with the VK's tone, honestly.
I think it sounded a bit muddy turned up, and didn't have the shimmer I was looking for with my cleans.
Don't get me wrong, It's an okay amp, but I found much better amps out there.
Yeah the cleans certainly aren't great, at least with alnico humbuckers. They are just ok. My SG with the alnicos (490's) sounds muddy on the clean channel. My MIJ Strat HSS single coils (and its humbucker) sound really good through the clean channel. My guess is that the VK is engineered to sound better with lower-end guitar pickups. Maybe they thought that is where their target market is. The VK seems to be very sensitive about guitars. The ceramics on my AS73 (ACH 1and 2) also sound good through it. I may try the SG into the lower gain input (2) although I really don't like to do that. I actually have a Peavey Backstage Plus (1984) with a speaker upgrade that outshines it on cleans for the alnicos. Thanks for the reply.
PS Sorry I was editing as you were posting.
Last edited by uldhppi at Aug 2, 2007,
I got a Valveking combo in at work the other day and I spent about an hour messing around on it. For what it is, its an OK amp...but I think its way too thin and scratchy. I hear this can be solved by putting in a better speaker since the stock one sucks.
A speaker upgrade wouldn't hurt but as the stock speaker breaks in there is a substantial improvement.
^ Its a used VK so the speaker is already broken in, and I still have to roll of most the highs.
Well you just don't like the sound of the stock speaker. Lots of players have the same complaint and upgrade the speaker. Also a lot of tube-swaps. I like the exagerated high end for my pinch harmonics and I use an EQ pedal. It is also very picky about guitars. Some guitars just don't sound good through it. At least you have actually played one and have a valid opinion.
I like the way that 4x12 cabs spread sound more evenly throughout a room. They work especially well for outdoor shows. I almost always hook up a 4x12 cab to my JCM900 2x12 combo when I play it.
Quote by uldhppi
Well you just don't like the sound of the stock speaker. Lots of players have the same complaint and upgrade the speaker. Also a lot of tube-swaps. I like the exagerated high end for my pinch harmonics and I use an EQ pedal. It is also very picky about guitars. Some guitars just don't sound good through it. At least you have actually played one and have a valid opinion.

lol Yeah, like I said I work at a music shop and have a lot of time to play around with gear (Im the guitar gear and accessories salesman) and I played a slew of guitars through it; LTD Truckster (lol), LTD Hybrid 400, Gibson LP, MIM Strat..etc. I like the sound of it, but itd be way better with maybe a 4x12 cab.
I play it through my 412 and the difference is night and day. Wish my back wasn't bad.
All the bands you listed have a thin tone with a bright distortion.

Go with a Marshall DSL combo and get an OD pedal for it.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio