Don't care
3 3%
Dislike it
6 5%
Hate It
2 2%
Voters: 119.
Page 1 of 2
I really like Jazz Music. I don't have much of it, but music costs me money (I would use limewire, but that's a long story as to why I can't).

I enjoy Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Norah Jones, Tony Bennett, Frank Sinatra, the Jazz/Rock band Chicago (In their early days of course), amound others.
From what I've heard of jazz, I really dislike it. That being said, Tank! by The Seatbelts is f*cking AWESOME
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
Lolz @ teh blues and jazz forum.

Edit: But seriously, it's tied for my second favourite genre (tied with rap).
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
me too just not REALLY into it, and I loved your cover of Asturias.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
When it comes to music, my true loves are Jazz and Funk.
So yeah, favourite genre.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Quote by walkinbazooka
Lolz @ teh blues and jazz forum.

There are plenty of threads covering discussion of bands and guitarists here. I would assume people would be fine with it.
Quote by lounge act
Miles Davis is pretty good but hes the only real jazz I ever really listened to. If I listened to more of it I'm sure I would like it even more

I'm that way with some genres, too. John Coltrane and him have a similar sound.
I love Jazz. It's got a helluva lot more soul than most of the **** today does...

My all time favorite other than rock/metal stuff is Big Band/Trumpet Screaming. RIP Maynard...
smooth jazz is very relaxing
"Then I saw that there was a way to hell, even from the gates of heaven."
-John Bunyan
Quote by thedude051
Takes a lot of talent to play that genre. I like it and respect it.

I agree. To me, Jazz music tops any genre when it comes to improvisation.
Torroba? Nice.

I like any good music where they respect what they are doing or have an interesting thought that I haven't heard before. For this reason, I obviously like a lot of jazz.

Tony Bennett can suck a lemon with Kenny G though.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
I love the jazz.

George Benson.

Oh and if you want please check out my song "Narrow Minds" if you like Jazz, I hope you like it.
I really think the most talented musicians are jazz musicians.

I am thinking about going to school for jazz guitar because in my opinion it is the most respected players are jazz players.

I play jazz guitar yet I don't own very many jazz records.
I don't particularly like it but I don't dislike it either.
Quote by soulflyV
Prepare to have every orifice in your body occupied by a dwarf.
I really love Bitches' Brew, but tbh I don't really have the time and patience to properly explore and appreciate jazz itself. Jazz is a huge genre, a world of its own with its own rules and traditions, and right now I'm still very busy absorbing all I can about extreme metal, drum'n'bass, hip hop, electronic music in general (and that's only music.)

So for now, it's on the back burner. It's a great genre though, I love jazz touches in other genre (hiphop or metal, for example) I just have to get round to really enjoying it undiluted.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
Quote by Joshrocker48
I really think the most talented musicians are jazz musicians.

I am thinking about going to school for jazz guitar because in my opinion it is the most respected players are jazz players.

I play jazz guitar yet I don't own very many jazz records.

I agree. Get more into it, I am myself doing just that.
Quote by raise_the_dead
I really love Bitches' Brew, but tbh I don't really have the time and patience to properly explore and appreciate jazz itself. Jazz is a huge genre, a world of its own with its own rules and traditions, and right now I'm still very busy absorbing all I can about extreme metal, drum'n'bass, hip hop, electronic music in general (and that's only music.)

So for now, it's on the back burner. It's a great genre though, I love jazz touches in other genre (hiphop or metal, for example) I just have to get round to really enjoying it undiluted.

If you want some good old school jazzy hiphop, check out A Tribe Called Quest.

You will not be dissapointed.
I really like Brad Mehldau and the swing/easy listening stuff like Sinatra and Michael Bublé. Also love Miles Davis, Coltrane and Nina Simone. Latin jazz is probably the best though...Rúbén Gonzalez was a genius.
Friends, applaud the comedy is over.

I'd dance with you but...

i like gypsy jazz and cool jazz. there's this album by bucky pizzarelli and another guy doing a tribute to zoot sims. it's awesome stuff, but i can't find it anywhere (just heard some of it on the local blues & jazz station).

i love playing jazz guitar. it's fun and all the chords i learned and strange arrangements relly open up possibilities when writing your own songs.

if you're not into jazz, get some django reinhardt and some wes montgomery. both amazing guitarists. after awhile though you start to appreciate even more people like monk who don't play guitar.

from there you get into bossa and samba which is just the sexiest music of all time.
#DTWD
I like jazz fusion more than jazz though. you know, Al di Meola
To a shredder, a second is a long time.

Member of the UG Gentlemen of Higher Thought Establishment.

Invite only, if you want to be considered, contribute well to UG, and respect others as much as possible!
I'm really surprised about so many people here saying they enjoy Jazz.
So, who are your favourite artists guys?
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Quote by BassistGal

My main Jazz Guitar influence at the moment would definitely be Wes Montgomery.
He is really smooth and clean.
I like his style.

But Miles Davis and John Coltrane are also classics.
Jazz is my favourite genre, but then again Jazz is a broad ****ing genre so there's thousands upon thousands of artists that can go under that umbrella, all of whom have their own thing to bring to the table. I love most of what those people brought so therefore I love jazz.
Quote by BassistGal

As you know, Charlie Parker is huge for me, obviously Mingus, Dizz, Jaco... IT depends how far into the umbrella of jazz you want to go. There's the more blues stuff like Muddy Waters and there's fusiony stuff like Hancock, and more classic swing like Benny Goodman. The list goes on.
Last edited by jazz_rock_feel at Aug 1, 2007,
Quote by The Madcap
I really like Jazz Music. I don't have much of it, but music costs me money (I would use limewire, but that's a long story as to why I can't).

I enjoy Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Norah Jones, Tony Bennett, Frank Sinatra, the Jazz/Rock band Chicago (In their early days of course), amound others.

I know what you mean about money... I'm the same way...

I love jazz. Herbie Hancock's one of my favorites (Early Head Hunters-esque days).

My all time favorite band is Steely Dan. You probably know at least one song by them. They're kind of a jazz-rock fusion band. Look up the albums Aja and Everything Must Go if you want to get started with them. Two Against Nature is a really sick album, but it's not entirely approachable by everyone... I saw SD live a few weeks ago, and it really confirmed my belief that they're one of the best musical "groups" ever.

Chicago, George Benson, Miles Davis, etc.... It's all good.

Quote by raise_the_dead

I know what you mean, it's a massive genre. If you listen carefully(and I guess it depends on who you listen to), electronica sounds heavily influenced by jazz. I think that may be the reason why I love that genre too.

And yes, RIP Maynard.

EDIT: Is there any kind of jazz club lurking around these boards?
Last edited by Ultraturtle0 at Aug 1, 2007,
I hate the people here who thinks jazz is esoteric and "x-tremely complecks". It's not. Anyone who thinks so is just a pretentious idiot who hasn't really heard jazz at all.

No, jazz isn't dominated by "weird timing" and it's not just "4 people doing their own thing at the same time."

Most jazz still have common time signatures and the musicians are improvising, but they know what they're doing so that what they do sounds good and tasteful within the context of the songs.

I'm a big fan of bebop jazz, Wes Montgomery, Pat Martino, John Coltrane, and Kurt Rosenwinkel. They're all awesome players with extremely tasteful styles.

That said, I don't think jazz is very meaningful or has a lot of depth. But I listen for the licks and ambiance.
Quote by Jackolas

Yeah I know them already, they rock.

Jazz is used in a lot of hiphop, there's also been attempts to merge the two - Guru's Jazzmatazz, Buckshot LeFonque (side-project of Branford Marsalis) and of course US3.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
Quote by raise_the_dead
I really love Bitches' Brew, but tbh I don't really have the time and patience to properly explore and appreciate jazz itself.

Same.
Quote by Ultraturtle0

I know what you mean, it's a massive genre. If you listen carefully(and I guess it depends on who you listen to), electronica sounds heavily influenced by jazz. I think that may be the reason why I love that genre too.

Of course, huge influence on triphop, IDM, jungle, drum'n'bass, and other genres and sub-genres.
Quote by Jackolas
I love the jazz.

George Benson.

Oh and if you want please check out my song "Narrow Minds" if you like Jazz, I hope you like it.

That was actually pretty good. A very nice tone in the piece. It was a bit more Blues than Jazz. And I myself enjoy Blues Music too. It reminded me of Jimi Hendrix's "Georgia Blues", which is probably his greatest Blues work. And the distorted solo reminded me of Duane Allman. Not bad at all.
Quote by Jackolas

You don't really need to recommend them to anyone. lol Any person who is even slightly into rap music will know A Tribe Called Quest.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

^ Don't be so sure...
I love jazz. It's my second favorite genre.
'01 Sunburst Strat>1953 Valco Supro

'06 Jazz bass>'78 Bassman 10

Simple rig fan.
Quote by raise_the_dead
^ Don't be so sure...

Oh that's right, they're underground.

Quote by shattamakar

Page 1 of 2