Page 1 of 4
hi, I really want to buy a Les Paul guitar, I want to get the best for my money, I want to get as close to the Gibson copy as possible, I was reading the Epiphone has a mahogany/alder body, I thought it is just mahogany, is the Gibson Les Paul standard a mahogany/alder body?

Is the Tokai ALS65 http://www.tokai-guitars.co.uk/guit...erock/als65.jpg better for my money?

Is there a better Epiphone model?
Gibsons have a solid mahogany body (some newer models are chambered though) and a maple top.

Epis can be confusing, some use a solid mahogany body and maple top and some have the mahogany/alder mix. The Plain Top, Quilt Top, and some customs have a solid mahogany body.

Never played that Tokai, so it may or may not be a better guitar... I've heard good things about Tokai though. I'm more than pleased with my Epi
Epiphones are hit or miss -- play it first, you may find one that is as good as a Gibson, although the majority are crap.

I've heard very good things about Tokais, however.
Tokai's are the best bet mate. I've yet to play a bad Tokai. The Japanese models are simply unbelievable.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Tokai is the way to go if you want the best value for your money.
also look at agiles

rondomusic.net
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
How do I know if my custom is solid mahogany or not?
My Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom - Alpine White
Vox AD30VT
Epiphone SG Special - Black
Planet Waves Cables
Levy's Strap
Dunlop .70 Picks
Quote by Nitro89
do the eps randomly have a mahongany/alder body?

It's not "random" - they list the body woods on their site.

Tokai guitars are generally WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY better than Epiphones .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Does the gibson les paul standard have a full mahogany body? if not, why does epiphone les paul standard have one, they are both flame maple top guitars are they not?

is it bad to have a magogany/alder body?
Quote by Nitro89
Does the gibson les paul standard have a full mahogany body? if not, why does epiphone les paul standard have one, they are both flame maple top guitars are they not?

is it bad to have a magogany/alder body?

Did you not read my post? The Gibson has a solid mahogany body and a maple top.

The LP Standard doesn't a solid mahogany body most likely because they decided to cut some corners and save cash.... if you want an all mahogany Epi go for the Plain Top, Quilt, some Customs or the Elitist.

If you are looking for that thick, full tone of a traditional LP then yes the mahogany/alder really isn't the best thing.
i was reading about the Ep LP Standard on some website selling it, and they say its a full mahogany body. Is there a big difference or any noticeable difference between a full mahogany and mahofany/alder bodies?

so, would a Tokai be better?
Last edited by Nitro89 at Aug 2, 2007,
Quote by Nitro89
i was reading about the Ep LP Standard on some website selling it, and they say its a full mahogany body. Is there a big difference or any noticeable difference between a full mahogany and mahofany/alder bodies?

so, would a Tokai be better?

Standards are NOT solid mahogany unless its an older one. You sure you weren't looking at the Standard "Plain Top"... post a link.

Solid mahogany will sound thicker, fuller, bit darker than the alder/mahogany body, along with a bit more sustain. Its closer to a real LP. Some of the alder/mahogany bodies are quite nice and some are quite ****ty. You really have to try them out first.

I never played a Tokai LP copy... apart from sh*tty pickups the the Epi LP Plain Tops and Quilt Tops I've played were quite nice
Quote by Nitro89
This is the Epiphone Les Paul Standard
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/epiphone-les-paul-standard/870

so let me get this straight, whether it be Epiphone or Gibson Les Paul Standard, they don't have a full mahogany body?

Hmm odd then... you can even look on Epi's site, the bodies are alder/mahogany. That's why I say play them in a store first. No one gives good descriptions..

and for like the 4th time... Gibson's have a solid mahogany body and a maple top. Epi's will either have a solid mahogany body or a mahogany/alder body with a maple top. The only completely mahogany (body and top) LP I know of is the Gibson LP Vintage Mahogany.
I know I've posted already, but let me just state again...Tokai Love Rocks are THAT good. A good example of a Japanese Tokai Love Rock will be every bit the guitar that a good Gibson is.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

has anybody any good pictures showing the difference of appearance in the Epiphone Les Paul:

Standard
Standard Plain Top
Standard Plus Top

I cant find any good pictures, please help?
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
and for like the 4th time... Gibson's have a solid mahogany body and a maple top. Epi's will either have a solid mahogany body or a mahogany/alder body with a maple top. The only completely mahogany (body and top) LP I know of is the Gibson LP Vintage Mahogany.

Most of the 2007 production gibson les pauls are going too be chambered. I think the only models that are not chambered are the reissues, customs, and the vos series.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

Quote by Kurapica
I know I've posted already, but let me just state again...Tokai Love Rocks are THAT good. A good example of a Japanese Tokai Love Rock will be every bit the guitar that a good Gibson is.

+1- make sure it's a japanese one, though.

if you're willing to ship from Japan, edwards would also be worth a look.

your tokai link didn't work, by the way.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ i think that one is the lowest japanese one. Should be good if you can get it for £299. I'd certainly take it over a korean/chinese epi, assuming it's Japanese, that's for sure.

Best to make sure, it should say on it where it's made (on the back of the headstock, near the neck joint, somewhere like that).

failing that there's some info here on how to tell if it's korean or japanese- http://www.tokairegistry.com/faq/tokai-faq.html#Where%20was%20my%20Love%20Rocks%20made?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ carved means it's curved on top...

AA and AAA is the grade of the maple... basically how nice and regular a flame pattern it has.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
so AAA has a better flame pattern than AA?

is the TLS the original Japanese Tokai?

Which is the best Tokai Les Paul?
^ hah, there are some tokais which are around the same price as a gibson LP standard. those have honduran mahogany, brazilian rosewood etc., though.

I'd check out that £300 one, if you could. If you can determine it's MIJ, that could be the smart move. Something comparable in quality to a Gibson standard, for more like the price of an Epiphone.

FWIW, i'm close to doing the same thing, only with a tokai strat- (assuming it's not sold) i'll be getting it for £275, which is cheaper than a mexican strat. And it's vastly superior to one of those (i know, i tried it head to head with one).

EDIT: yeah, you're right about the flame.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've been asking myself recently what Les Paul I'm going to get. I was going to go with an Epiphone LP standard but if they really aren't that good then I shouldn't bother.

Anyone know specifically how I could get hold of a Tokai LP?
^ are you in the UK?

if so, http://www.tokai-guitars.co.uk/main.htm , you should be able to email them to ask about dealers.

EDIT: bear in mind, there are some korean ones too. They aren't bad, but are similar to epiphones. The Japanese ones are the really nice ones. They start around £600 list, but you can normally pick them up starting around £400 (less if you're lucky). it should say on the back of them somewhere where it's made.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Nitro89
is the TLS the japanese ones?

if i can't get hold of a Japanese one, will an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain top be a good buy?

I think the ALS can also be Japanese from what I've read here, not sure though.
What is the nut width on the Tokai Les Paul Standard ALS65 and on the LS150?

Is the nut easy to replace? I noticed that the nut on the Gibson is 1.695" but 1.68" on the Epiphone.

What is the standard nut width on Les Paul guitars?
Quote by Lateralus17
I think the ALS can also be Japanese from what I've read here, not sure though.

I was wrong. The ALS is a Korean model.

The Japanese models don't seem to be available on their website.

Um.....*considers just buying an Epiphone because it's so much easy to get hold of*
I would go with a Tokai. I have a Korean one and it plays great.
Quote by Dave_Mc
+1- make sure it's a japanese one, though.

To be fair, I played a Chinese Love Rock and almost bought it on the spot. Was a lovely guitar.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

isn't an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top just as good as a Tokia and pretty much a Gibson Les Paul Standard?
Quote by Nitro89
isn't an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top just as good as a Tokia and pretty much a Gibson Les Paul Standard?

Apparently not.

Stop confusing me...........
but isn't the epiphone les paul standard plain top the same thing as a gibson les paul standard. Looking at the specs of both the Tokai and the Epi, I'd have to say, the Epi is more like the Gibson, wouldn't you agree?
Page 1 of 4