I'm starting to study theory and one question I haven't been able to answer has been the difference between a major key and its relative minor, for example the difference in playing in C Maj vs. A min. I asked my teacher and all he said was "the difference is in the chords" so if C Maj contains Cmaj-Dmin-Emin-Fmaj-Gmaj-Amin-Bdim-Cmaj what would have to change to be playing in A min?
If is a piece is in C major it will resolve to the C chord if the piece is in A minor it will resolve to the Am chord. Also for minor keys you'd expect the V to be major ie E instead of Em because E to Am sounds better than Em to Am.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Maybe I'm answering your question in a way thats different than your asking but the main difference is the sound..minor=sad..major=happy..but if I'm not giving you what you want just ignore this..and from what I know..minor anything always has a flatted third..which is key to know if you what your playing is minor even at all!
Death..Is Just The Beginning..
Quote by DiamondOfBlood
Maybe I'm answering your question in a way thats different than your asking but the main difference is the sound..minor=sad..major=happy..but if I'm not giving you what you want just ignore this..and from what I know..minor anything always has a minor third..which is key to know if you what your playing is minor even at all!

Fixed.

While C major and A minor contain the same notes (ie they are relative modes), they have different intervals, C major has the intervals 1 2 3 4 5 6 7, A minor has the intervals 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7. And, as sinan said, A minor resolves to Am, C major resolves to C.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by Ænimus Prime
Fixed.

While C major and A minor contain the same notes (ie they are relative modes), they have different intervals, C major has the intervals 1 2 3 4 5 6 7, A minor has the intervals 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7. And, as sinan said, A minor resolves to Am, C major resolves to C.

This guy is completely right. I just want to add something:

When talking bout the relationship between C/Am it's called parallel chords. It's woth noticing that C only differs from Am with the fact that it's got A instead of G....
The pitch of the key (A or C) is the tonic, which makes its relationship to other notes important. As stated above, they CAN resolve to the tonic, but half cadences, deceptive cadences, and picardy thirds can also be a way of resolving, and the result of making these different cadences will differ depending on the key.
Gear
Ibanez RGR521EX1
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500R
Roland Cube
Spider II 30
-Crybaby GCB-95
-SansAmp GT2
-Boss DS-1, RC-2
Quote by Ænimus Prime
Fixed.

hah hah thanks..im new to theory myself..
Death..Is Just The Beginning..
The C Major and a minor have the same key signature. But they start on different notes, obviously.
Quote by astepabove
Hey. Guess what. I'm hittin' omgnowai. Yep. That's right. Seriously. Ask her. She'll say "Yes, astepabove is hittin' me".

yeah...he is. hehe