Just wondering if any amp will be fine for a downtuned 5 string, or if I need any specific ratings. I was hanging toward the Ashdown MAG 2x10 combo.
What are you downtuning a 5 string for? That seems unnecesary to me, but whatever.

Any bass amp should be fine.
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
You'll need a pretty decent amp, since something such as a practice amp won't pick up the low frequencies very well. It won't sound good.
I'm going to assume that you are downtuning for Korn songs by your name, but yeah the 2x10 should be fine but you may want to look into a 1x15
Ahh there's been a spate of frequency related topics today. I think there's been a bit of a scare cause the frequency given for the speakers is higher than a lowE!

Anyway, to answer your question TS, more expensive, better built amps will handle the lows better. Your ashdown will do this quite good.

The speaker size is about how well it will produce the note you want, the larger the speaker the better it'll be at handling lows, however because you have two 10", it should be alright.

I could be mistake here but dont Ashdown MAG's have a "sub harmonic generator"? If it does, turn this on, now! It'll boost your low end and make it feel more thick.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
any amp would be fine tho. however, id suggest a 1x15 rather than a 2x10. you get more low end on a 115 which would be better for downtuning.
MusicMan Stingray 4 HH
Modded Fender MIM J-Bass
Fender American Deluxe Ash Strat
Ibanez limited edition walnut EW acoustic #202/250
Fender Bassman 250 2x10 combo
Vox AD50VT
Quote by Kornakopia
Just wondering if any amp will be fine for a downtuned 5 string, or if I need any specific ratings. I was hanging toward the Ashdown MAG 2x10 combo.
I certainly would not recomend a 2x10 unless you'r using an add on 15 as well, you must make sure when buying a combo that you can add a second cab without disconnecting the combo's own speaker/s, this is very important.
If you amp is not of high enough wattage this will cause it to clip when playing low notes a stage levels, this often appears to be a problem with the speakers, in reality it is the square waves that the amp is producing due to the output stage being overworked.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
it will have to be big, as people have said, it would be a good idea to add a 15" speaker onto that combo, you should be able to add an extra cab as there is a 4X10 version of that combo aswell.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Seriously? Can you hear much difference below the B? The lowest I've done is downtuned to Bb - only done that once and it was verrry low. An A is just too low to hear difference and a coherent note. I certainly find the B ample depth. Besides, if you want to go that low, just up-tune the song (say it's in Bb up-tune it to B so the key note is on the bottom - and the same for any other note in the scale).

But in answer to your question, you definitely need at least a 15" amp. I don't think 12" will cut it (even with a 5 str without down tuning). And you will also need a pretty high wattage (exactly what depends on your stage volume). If you find the overall sound too bassy just add a couple of 10"s but if you have to choose go with the 15.
Quote by mustardman
Granted, they're crap, but they're decent.