ok so im going off to college soon and i want an amp that will be small for storage but one that will also have a good tone for recording. i have to have something with a headphone jack or line out jack for practicing with headphones and running the amp into my computer for recording. i play a wide variety of styles so i want somethin kinda versatile. ive looked at vox valvetronix and i like it so im either wantin that or a good tube amp with a line out jack. any ideas or thoughts on which is good?
i like line six spider 3 75 watt.. i think its what you would need
Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

Melodic Thrash Metal and winners of the Wacken Metal Battle Canada and 2nd Place Runner Ups for Wacken Metal Battle International

PROFANER
go with the vox
Jong

Strat, V847a, OCDv3, Carbon Copy, DD-5, Flying Dragon, EL84 amp
I have the ad30vt and to me it seems like it'd be ideal for your situation...It has the headphones jack and inputs and and even better it lets you adjust the wattage between 30 and 5, so if you don't feel like playing through the phones you can lower the output and maintain the same tone at a low volume. As for the models they're solid so you can get a decent tone for whatever you're playing really quick without having to mess around with the eq. Effects are ok too, so theres a little added bonus.
yeah 75 is small enough, it can go as soft or as loud as you could want. it has line out/headphone, it has effects you might find usefull, or you could use it with a pedal
Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

Melodic Thrash Metal and winners of the Wacken Metal Battle Canada and 2nd Place Runner Ups for Wacken Metal Battle International

PROFANER
yeah i hateeeee spider 3 they blow even worse than the spider 2 which i have had the unfortunate pleasure of owning
I don't know about the spider 3 but judging from the spider one and two, it can't be that great, IMO you should go with the vox.
Looking for a new sig!
Quote by Ultimate_Gio92
i like line six spider 3 75 watt.. i think its what you would need

OMG NO!!

Quote by Maggot3000
i just got a spider 3 150,its loud so go with 75

wth is wrong with you people!!

Go with the Vox dude or a Roland Cube. The Spider is just going to make your guitar sound like Poop, no matter how good the guitar is
Fender Standard Telecaster
Peavey Envoy 110
Boss DS-1 EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone Behringer DD400 Digital Delay
Digitech Bad Monkey
If you want a tube combo with a headphone jack check the Peavey Valveking Royal 8. 5 watt class A about $200 USD list.
id say a small tube amp like a crate v16, or epi valve junior, something along that line
If you want alot of variety, go cube or vox. If you want the best tone for blues, classic rock, cleanish stuff, etc. Go for Valve junior, Crate v8, fender champ 600, etc. 5 watt tube amps FTW. You would have to mod them for direct recording i belive.
I just bought my college amp. Orange Tiny Terror. If your budget will allow for it i highly recommend one.
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
i really wanna try to keep it under $300 if possible i guess i shoulda mentioned that in my first post, i may go alittle higher but if i do ill have to save up alot longer and prob not have my amp for awhile in college as im not gonna work
^x2
gear:
fender mim telecaster w/ some extra stuff
Vox Ad50vt
Vox V847 Wah
Boss OS-2
Keeley Boss DS-1 Ultra
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi USA
MXR Phase 90
Boss CH-1
yeah i dont play much metal the metalist stuff that i play is cheesy 80's **** like poison and cinderella and all those hair bands
Quote by zerowley
I'd go with the Vox AD if you don't play a lot of metal. If you do, I'd go for the Roland Cube.

There are 3 good tube combos(Crate V8 Palomino, Epiphone Valve Junior, Fender Champion 600) in your price range but they don't have a lot of versatility, so unless you have some pedals (OD, EQ) I'd go for the Valvetronix or Cube.

best post.

i just picked up a VJ head. $130 New on MF. I wont be able to use it for another year (I'm in japan) but i wanted to grab one before they raised the prices again. It's good for modding, which I plan to do.
yeah ive played the vj and like it but i dont want somethin i have to mod cuz i dont really have the time or the extra funds id rather just make one purchase and be done but i def agree with you the vj is an awesome little amp if thats what your lookin for
Quote by Friedmaniac
I just bought my college amp. Orange Tiny Terror. If your budget will allow for it i highly recommend one.

That's what I did.
Gear:
Gibson X-Plorer Studio Yellow
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange PPC-112 Cab (2 stacked - 1 open backed)
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
does anybody own that valvetronix and maybe have any sound clips or anything ive played one but id like to get some other opinions/hear some other players playing one
Just get a Line 6 Toneport/Guitarport or something similar.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
a TT for college? Wow, I mean they're cheap, but a Tiny terror?.. Seems odd.
I would say a valvetronix or a palomino. i love both amps so much!
Quote by screamingfool34
people here are idiot.
Quote by Mr_H_MASTER
the only good wahs out there are Slashs, Zacks, and Dimebags.
Quote by evan1234567
im to tired and confused to comprehend what you said.
The Vox Valvetronix series will do 80s sounds -- they are great little amps for the budget, and will likely be better for the dorm (lower volumes).
awesome thanks so much guys keep the advice comming cuz i really wanna look into everything before i buy somethin
sry for posting again but i thought of somethin else to ask will my effect pedals sound good with the vox valvetronix amp? i have a tube screamer and a ce-5 chorus pedal
Effects pedals generally don't go *too* well with modeling amps.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
yeah, overdrives for solid states don't do a whole lot of good.

signal breakup on a tube = sex
signal breakup on a ss = hell
If you're only going to be playing through headphones or recording, I'd say a POD would be a better choice than an amp. It'll sound great through headphones and you can connect it straight to your computer/recorder for recording.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
What's your price range?
Gear:
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
ESP EC-400
TS-9 DX
Stagg Strat-a-like
MIJ Boss CE-2
Get a 100 watt marshall stack and disturb everyone... DUH
My Junk:
Epiphone Elitist 57' Goldtop Les Paul
Saving For New Amplifier! YAY (current one is as useful as using a milk carton)
Boss DS-1 Pedal
hahaha i actually thought about stocking my room with nothing but ****load of stack amps and id just put a sleeping back on the floor and sleep there
Check on Ebay for a used Traynor YCV40 or even one of their smaller amps. They are killer tube amps with a "real" Celestion 12". I just saw one go yesterday for $260. I have one of the YCV40's and it sounds great.
hmm well this is interesting i put the whole overdrive doesnt work with solid state amps thing to the test on the ****tiest of solid state amps(some beginner pack ibanez thing a friend had) and it actually produced a kinda nice warm tone when played clean. it wasnt as good as a tube amp overdriven but it still sounded nice
Quote by allstrats726

signal breakup on a tube = sex
signal breakup on a ss = hell

So true, that's a good analogy
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
im still curious to hear the od on the vox cuz it really didnt sound bad on the crap ibanez amp