I have a standard four-string bass, and my band will be playing in Drop-C starting pretty much now. I have my guitar (primary instrument) tuned to Drop-C for writing the riffs and the like, and it's fine, but I haven't ever tried tuning my bass down that low.

Will the strings be all floppy and smacking on the pickups/rattling? I've watched Mike D from Killswitch play live and his strings flop all over. Would simply coping with it like he does be the best course of action? What else could I do?

I'm not buying a 5-string anytime soon, in case anyone was going to suggest that.
Member #7 of the "...Still Waiting for the Zombie Holocaust" club. PM Smokey Amp to join.

Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all
Radiate, recognize one silent call
As we all form one dark flame...
Incinerate!
It is possible to get used to though, right? Like, after a bit of fooling around, it shouldn't adversely affect my playing (at least too much) for the first few months, right? And once I get totally used to it, will it be all good, or will I still be at a disadvantage?

Could anyone recommend a good set of gauges for someone who normally likes a moderate gauge? Like, not super-thick, just thick enough to get the job done.
Member #7 of the "...Still Waiting for the Zombie Holocaust" club. PM Smokey Amp to join.

Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all
Radiate, recognize one silent call
As we all form one dark flame...
Incinerate!
the disadvantage will not be of the playing, but rather the sound. With the strings being so floppy, playing anything more advanced than root notes will make the notes sound muddy and kind of merge together.
While it is not too hard to get used to, that is the main disadvantage.

Assuming you usually use string gauges of .45-.65-.85-.105, a nice gauge set for CGCF would most likely be .50-.70-.90-.115, or something of the similar. plus or minus 5 depending on what strings you use currently.

Notice I added +.5 to the low C. This is possibly the most important part as it is drop tuned.
BTW not sure if anyone makes sets of strings in that gauge
Fender MIJ Precision
Get Power Slinkies.
Not muddy at all
The clock strikes midnight
When tomorrow and today collide
The moon is at its highest
And the twilight seems fitting
For in these moments
The light at the end of the world
Shines like a thousand suns....

Victor Gutierrez
I find that sometimes floppy can sound good...

But if you don't like that, just play closer to the bridge.
The.
Get heavy gauge strings and if you don't like the E string like that even you can always go for a medium or light gauge B string...C is only a half step up ya know.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by GarageGuitarist
It is possible to get used to though, right? Like, after a bit of fooling around, it shouldn't adversely affect my playing (at least too much) for the first few months, right? And once I get totally used to it, will it be all good, or will I still be at a disadvantage?

Could anyone recommend a good set of gauges for someone who normally likes a moderate gauge? Like, not super-thick, just thick enough to get the job done.

Super thick would get the job done better.

Edit: I'd go for a light B. Something around 1.20mm
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
I play in CGCF occasionally, and it doesnt bother me at all. I think action plays an important part. You may want your action in standard tuning to be a bit higher, that way when you do tune it lower it'll be closer to normal. My action in standard is medium-low, that way its low in C, but still doesnt have much fret buzz.
Suck it up and play it without dropping down. It'll give you a lot more respect in my eyes. Or get a B-string and tune it up to C. I do that on my five for some awesome tapping action. But that's besides the point.
Quote by GarageGuitarist
I have a standard four-string bass, and my band will be playing in Drop-C starting pretty much now. I have my guitar (primary instrument) tuned to Drop-C for writing the riffs and the like, and it's fine, but I haven't ever tried tuning my bass down that low.

Will the strings be all floppy and smacking on the pickups/rattling? I've watched Mike D from Killswitch play live and his strings flop all over. Would simply coping with it like he does be the best course of action? What else could I do?

I'm not buying a 5-string anytime soon, in case anyone was going to suggest that.

You could also raise your action....However you'll have to reset your intonation when you do that! **** playin at the bridge, it's a pain in the sac...and sounds like ass
you wont get a huge ammount of flop, but it would be a good idea to get heavier strings. something with maybe a 110 E string. ive tuned down to b with my bass and it gets pretty floppy, but you can get used to it. another idea would be to buy a 5 string set of strings and use the B string as your E, E as your A, etc.
MusicMan Stingray 4 HH
Modded Fender MIM J-Bass
Fender American Deluxe Ash Strat
Ibanez limited edition walnut EW acoustic #202/250
Fender Bassman 250 2x10 combo
Vox AD50VT
I'd recommend a set as follows:

.120, .90, .75, .55 for the C standard tuning. If you're doing drop C, I'd get a 120 for the E string and tune the rest ADG as per.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
my band use it and i hated my strings being too loose, tried heavier guage strings and using a standard tune. now i just have a tuned down bass and use a lighter pic, a standard guitar pic, about .88. may sound wierd but works really well for me
the pic theif strikes again

Member #1 of im not a member of anything, and i dont wanna be. PM me to join