Page 1 of 2
Fugazirancid
playin' contract bridge
475 IQ
AOTM – Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer? – Of Montreal

I figured it was time for a new AOTM, considering the last one was excellent but written quite a while ago. If someone else wants to do it, I’ll take it down and save it for later; but I figured that was unlikely considering the length of time between this and the previous one. Also, this is my first AOTM, so if I did something wrong, please let me know and I’ll fix it ASAP. Anyway…

A little background on the band: Of Montreal is led and fronted by Kevin Barnes. They come from Athens, Georgia (REM’s hometown as well), and are part of the Elephant 6 Collective that also spawned Neutral Milk Hotel, The Apples in Stereo, etc. etc. They’ve existed for ten years. Past albums include the critically acclaimed The Gay Parade, Satanic Panic in the Attic, and The Sunlandic Twins. They also wrote the melody to that annoying Outback Steakhouse commercial – “let’s go Outback tonight, life will still be there tomorrow.” (It came from a song off The Sunlandic Twins entitled “Wraith Pinned to the Mist And Other Games&rdquo

Now to the album. Whereas other Of Montreal releases are generally upbeat in mood, this one has decidedly darker lyrical themes. It’s described by Barnes as a concept album concerning his transformation into an uncaring glam rock star known as Georgie Fruit. He was living in Norway and undergoing a rather unpleasant divorce when most of the songs were written, and the lyrics reflect this. Throughout the first half of the album, the protagonist tries to escape from his problems via various methods such as religion (“Gronlandic Edit&rdquo. All his frustrations culminate in the twelve minute long centerpiece of the album (and possible candidate for best song here), “The Past is a Grotesque Animal.” He basically falls apart in this song. The lyrics are quite bleak (The sun is out, it melts the snow that fell yesterday/Makes you wonder why it bothered), and offers no happy resolution. Instead, we get the goofy, yet still amazing “Bunny Ain’t No Kind of Rider,” followed by the possibly goofier “Faberge Falls For Shuggie.” It’s evident that Barnes’s alter ego has taken over by this point, and he’s in denial of the divorce. Later, his sadness turns to anger (“She’s a Rejector&rdquo and finally they reconcile (“We Were Born The Mutants Again with Leafling&rdquo. At least, my guess is that they reconcile.

While the lyrics are dark, the music is anything but. Every song on this album has a high likelihood of getting stuck in your head (see “And you ain’t got no SOULLL power” from “Bunny Ain’t No Kind of Rider&rdquo. The only musically bleak song on here is “The Past is a Grotesque Animal,” and it’s still catchy despite having no chorus and few hooks. The songs all go deeper than meets the ear on first listen, though – the production is spectacular. Every song has layers and layers, and they manage to seem new even on repeated listens.

All in all, this album is easily up there on the top albums of the year. One of my personal favorites in recent history – it’s been on constant rotation for a good bit now, and it hasn’t even started to get old.

Favorite Tracks – Suffer For Fashion, The Past is a Grotesque Animal, Bunny Ain’t No Kind of Rider, We Were Born the Mutants Again with Leafling

Links

Full stream of the album (thanks to Dorkus) -- http://www.polyvinylrecords.com/hissing/

Suffer for Fashion (first track) downloadable mp3 -- http://rawkblog.blogspot.com/2006/09/you-aint-got-soul-power.html

There are streams of both “Suffer for Fashion” and “Heimsdalgate Like a Promethean Curse” on Of Montreal’s Myspace - http://myspace.com/ofmontreal

Here it is on Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Hissing-Fauna-Are-You-Destroyer/dp/B000KWZ94U/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-9102386-4431826?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1186025185&sr=8-1

Metacritic - http://www.metacritic.com/music/artists/ofmontreal/hissingfaunaareyouthedestroyer

And last but not least, Wikipedia! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hissing_Fauna%2C_Are_You_the_Destroyer%3F (the album)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Of_Montreal (the band)
Member of the We Have Better Taste Than You club
PM DorkusMalorkus with a list of your favorite bands to join

last.fm
Last edited by Fugazirancid at Aug 2, 2007,
uhh_me?
schmendrick.
3,608 IQ
one of the best albums of this year

good idea writing one of these up, the last one has been around for a while
Fugazirancid
playin' contract bridge
475 IQ
zomg! i'll add that to the original post. that's awesome, thanks

last.fm
Fugazirancid
playin' contract bridge
475 IQ
yeah, i didn't much care for it on first impression either.

last.fm
uhh_me?
schmendrick.
3,608 IQ
it is far from their e-6 days
and wait...you even hate the early stuff?
is that even possible?
sponj
UG Monkey
1,243 IQ
Quote by *Truly Ninja*
Utter ****.
I hate this band, and I like elephant 6.

I concur, but i never listened to elephant 6.
the heart is a risky fuel to burn
Yertle
a fIREHOSE fAN
2,340 IQ
It's not bad, and this is a great AOTM, but dear god, is that a pretentiously awful album title.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
Fugazirancid
playin' contract bridge
475 IQ
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
A lot of the titles sound pretentious. I hate that.

i think i'm immune to pretentious song/band titling. i always thought godspeed you! black emperor (notice the correct punctuation ) was like the coolest band name ever, and i also think that heimdalsgate like a promethean curse is an awesome song title.

i phail

last.fm
pumpkins_rule
UG's Rap crusader
1,404 IQ
What the fuck this got stickied but my last AOTM didn't!!!!!!!
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

pumpkins_rule
UG's Rap crusader
1,404 IQ
^No. But I thought when a Mod saw a post with AOTM in it it would be sort of obvious.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

Fugazirancid
playin' contract bridge
475 IQ
yeah, i PM'd him as well

last.fm
julio1987
Gettin' jiggy wit it
230 IQ
I love this album with my heart and soul, no matter how pretentious the titles are.
K-Lizzle
in the hizzle.
1,320 IQ
Good, good, goooood schtuff.

This album has been in steady rotation since I got it in, like, March.
There's only one girl in the world for you
and she probably lives in Tahiti.
Fugazirancid
playin' contract bridge
475 IQ
i like the whole album

:x

last.fm
K-Lizzle
in the hizzle.
1,320 IQ
I think the entire album is a puree of goodness. Its brilliant parts are equally melded throughout.
uhh_me?
schmendrick.
3,608 IQ
if it was a pureed smoothie it would taste of delicious mangos and peaches
uhh_me?
schmendrick.
3,608 IQ
ho ho ho
you would

so i want to take up bass so i can play all the fun bass lines on this album...
sponj
UG Monkey
1,243 IQ
if you play guitar bass will not be a problem
the heart is a risky fuel to burn
uhh_me?
schmendrick.
3,608 IQ
i don't think it is the difficulty that would put me off, it is more the price of buying new things

i need to dance to this album
but first i need to get a big flashy light
K-Lizzle
in the hizzle.
1,320 IQ
Quote by uhh_me?
if it was a pureed smoothie it would taste of delicious mangos and peaches

I heart you.
Fugazirancid
playin' contract bridge
475 IQ
if you get a big flashy light can i come to your neutral milk hotel mashup party that you mentioned in the NMH thread?

i even made a like twenty second we will rock you/in the aeroplane over the sea instrumental (it's unbelievable how bored i get)

http://www.mediafire.com/?ajgsnpyohnw

last.fm
Doolittle
:liplick:
844 IQ
oh i see how you are, uhh_me.
There's a party and you doing even want me to come and do things doo-y style?

uhh_me?
schmendrick.
3,608 IQ
Quote by Doolittle
oh i see how you are, uhh_me.
There's a party and you doing even want me to come and do things doo-y style?

you can come and do things doo-y style
although i am unsure what that really means
K-Lizzle
in the hizzle.
1,320 IQ
And then I'll bust in and K-Leezify everything.

This is gonna be great.
Doolittle
:liplick:
844 IQ
Quote by uhh_me?
you can come and do things doo-y style
although i am unsure what that really means

uhh...i'm not quite sure either, but it'll be a hoot!

bah humbug
UG Newbie
1,201 IQ
I actually live not too far away from uhh_me? (same area code), so I haveta get it on this.