Page 1 of 2
I have the oportunity to purchase one and I'd like to know what I'm getting involved with.
Depends what kind of condition it's in. All original parts it could be anywhere from $10 000 - $100 000.

I've seen a mint condition, unplayed '62 strat sell for $125 000 so...

You're either looking at spending a LOT of money, or completely ripping someone off if they don't know what they have.
If it sells for any less than $25,000, it's a fake or the owner has NOOOO idea.

Easily a $90,000+ guitar.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
I suggest you give us more infromation on this guitar you ar looking to buy or I call shenanigans.
a friend of mine is being shipped back to Iraq. He needs to sell its ASAP. He trusts me, and is giving me a deal. Knows I'd take care of it. He says it's worth alot more, but knows it has some condition issues. Either way. I want to figure out if I should keep it for myself. Or let someone else enjoy it, while I enjoy a little more money.
Well what kind of condition is it in? The main thing is that it has all its original parts (That includes pickups, pots, tuners etc.)

If it is beat up like Rory Gallaghers it will still be worth a fair bit but if it is good condition, original paintjob and a good neck it will be worth a hell of a lot more.

Refrets usually don't depreciate value unless they are really ****ty jobs. And if it's not all original parts it depends what exactly has been changed to determine how much it will still be worth.

I'd say if you're getting it for any less than $20 000 you're getting a great deal.

EDIT: A good place to check for current market value is www.gbase.com
Last edited by TheDev01dOne at Aug 2, 2007,
Quote by The Master Plan

Yeah, a '59 won't be a penny under that. If it is, chances are your getting ripped off. You really gotta know your shit when it comes to IDing Fenders here, you dont want to get into something you dont wanna be in.
heres some other ones. the file sizes are too large on the rest of them. the neck plate is seen on the guitar in the other pictures. and it shows 11/59 on the body
Attachments:
15.jpg
18.jpg
21.jpg
GET IT! It'd be worth it, and only go up in value
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Depending on how rich you are, it probably won't be worth what you're going to pay for it.

If you have the spare money and like that kinda thing, grab it for yourself as a player and get +1000 respect points and mojo.

Doesn't really look like it's in any amazing condition for an investment though.

I still think under $20 000 is a pretty good price for it but don't expect it to rise too much in the future unless you find someone really looking for that specific guitar.
Quote by Cousin Sexy
Im not rich. But at what figure would you buy this guitar for?

I'd buy this for all the money I've got. I'm a sucker for old strats. 10k USD is a REALLY good deal.
Quote by bakk
Hi,
I have been pickin' up some Arabic radio signal things. Every time I turn up my Amp, this crazy Imam starts messing up my chords.

Proud owner of a 1987 Kramer Baretta I w/ spider Guitart.
that guitar looks awesome, nevermind all the fake relicing crap thats a real deal
That guitar is t3h sex.... Is it possible to take it to a luthier or something to get it checked out? Chances are they know a lot about this kind of thing. Although I doubt your mate would rip you off, so I guess it could be a safe buy. I would be too scared to gig with a 1959 guitar, although I'd love to if I got the chance... haha just contradicted myself... go for it if you feel confident. Should be a great investment. And good luck to your friend from me
They'd be worth alot more than what you're paying! His story seems to be a valid reason for it being so cheap. Have a go with it through an amp - if it plays and sounds stunningly then you know it's original.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Try and play it and see what you think. But to be honest, it'd be a sound investment. As long as you're paying something that's fair to your mate. Can't rip off friends can you. It'd be a total shot in the dark, but I'd hazard that the guitar is worth over 20k any day of the week.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Why am I drooling? Oh right, that's fking gorgeous!
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
Dude your from minnesota arent you!? I saw that on craigslist and i was going to buy it.

It is such an AMAZING DEAL.. I wont post price here just incase you dont want it posted
And? That thing is only gonna go up in value bro. And white inlays look better IMO, anyway/
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
uhh man I thought I was the only one from minnesota ohh well buy it's a nice ass strat!
www.myspace.com/thestalkingbutlers

Holy Knight of the Crusading Order of the Stratocaster.

Gear:
MIA Fender Stratocaster
MIA Fender Telecaster
MI? Fender TC-90

Fender Hot Rod Deville
Blackstar HT5, HT40

various pedals
fer chrissake check out the serial number - just google 'fender dating', there are loads of websites that will verify the date against the serial number.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
5 grand is the figure. and its not the serial number im worried about. the serial number checks out. its everything else that keeps me up at night
I'd go for it. At the very least to hang onto it for when your friend comes back, in case they really, really, want it back.
$32k? Hell no it's not worth it if you enjoy playing guitars.

HOWEVER, if you are a collector or someone with more money than skills with a Fender Strat fetish you may HAVE to buy it (if you can) since you may never see a real one again like that.

Your story sounds fishy though despite the photos!!
Try Fenderforum.com- they will give you perspectives from obsessed Fender Strat junkies.
Quote by Cousin Sexy
5 grand is the figure. and its not the serial number im worried about. the serial number checks out. its everything else that keeps me up at night

It's worth that easily. If you have the money for it, or can stretch to it, get it. You won't regret it and even if you turn out to have made a fiscal faux pas, you'll earn on selling it easily.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Yeah $5000? I'm waiting for you to go "He only wants $14 000..." $5000 is an absolute STEAL for that guitar. Definitely buy it.

Personally I wouldn't be able to sell it on straight away and make profit without feeling extremely guilty. At least keep it until he gets back and maybe you can cut him in on some cash if you do end up selling it for some crazy amount of money. That would be the friendly thing to do IMO.

But seriously.. Sell your car, pimp your girlfriend.. Whatever, just get the $5000 to buy that guitar!
i think the scratches and stuff makes it even more sexy. i would def. buy it for 5000.
Quote by Roc8995
Changing strings on a bigsby is alarmingly similar to flossing the teeth of a pissed-off sabertooth tiger while blindfolded.
Quote by TheDev01dOne
Depends what kind of condition it's in. All original parts it could be anywhere from $10 000 - $100 000.

I've seen a mint condition, unplayed '62 strat sell for $125 000 so...

You're either looking at spending a LOT of money, or completely ripping someone off if they don't know what they have.

Thatd $100,000 would either be a Original Gibson Les Paul Goldtop or a strat played by SRV or someone famous, vintage strats dont range in price like the but Gibbys do.
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Are those the actual pics of his guitar? Because I saw it on ebay a few months ago, I remember because I thought it was a beaut so I set it as my desktop for about a month.
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Quote by The Master Plan
Thatd $100,000 would either be a Original Gibson Les Paul Goldtop or a strat played by SRV or someone famous, vintage strats dont range in price like the but Gibbys do.

It was a 'slab board' (I guess that means 1 piece body?) '62 original strat, sunburst if I remember correctly. Unplayed. I dunno what's so good about it but it sold on eBay for $125 000 AUD buy it now. This was like last year some time.
Quote by TheDev01dOne
It was a 'slab board' (I guess that means 1 piece body?) '62 original strat, sunburst if I remember correctly. Unplayed. I dunno what's so good about it but it sold on eBay for $125 000 AUD buy it now. This was like last year some time.

Slab board means the rosewood on the neck not the body.
Rosewood fingerboard, "Slab" (Brazilian), 1958 to 1962: from mid-1959 (1958 for the Jazzmaster) till August 1962, Fender used a "slab" rosewood fingerboard. That is, the bottom of the fingerboard was flat and the board was fairly thick.
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Page 1 of 2