I read somewhere that you have to know the differences between practicing and playing or it'll be harder to practice or something to that effect. What is the difference between the two?
There's a difference?
Washburn Dime V w/ Bill&Becky L500XL
Peavey 5150 120w All-Tube Head
DR Strings
Boss Effects
Playing songs.... I'm gonna play under the bridge or wonderwall......

practice ok i'm gonna practice the Gm sweep from the A string at 200bpm for an hour..
besides the obvious of playing means doing it front of people and practicing means getting better at it? dont really see how there is a difference.
Playing you do when you're just messing around.

Practicing you do when you try to get better

You can have fun doing both, you just have to make your exercises more melodic and interesting.
Leader of The Cult of Echoes, for those who believe 23 min. of Pink Floyd Epicness just isn't enough.

Pm Alex the Red if you're interested

I'm a member I Pignose Amps Club. PM Woodenbanman if your interested.
well, practicing is learning new stuff and perfecting your songs. playing is just playing songs you've perfected just to let out the stress of practicing. My guess
Playing is when u know the tab..

Practicing is when u dun't really know the tabs, but u try play it..
practicing is to improve, while playing is constant..
Quote by Kennethd
well, practicing is learning new stuff and perfecting your songs. playing is just playing songs you've perfected just to let out the stress of practicing. My guess

I guess this is more the answer I was looking for
Hmm, this is on on good question.they can be the same thing at times, but also two different things. When i practice, i'm not just up and down scales or whatever, i do that some to warmup, but to really grasp any concept you are trying to learn you have to apply it-playing. In this way, you have to be playing to be practicing

I don't know if that made sense, im trying to think of agood way to word this.
Quote by Kennethd

yea that sounds about right
pringa

Are you taking over? Or are you taking orders?
Are you going backwards? Or are you going forwards?

Quote by Seamus O'shanty
I read somewhere that you have to know the differences between practicing and playing or it'll be harder to practice or something to that effect. What is the difference between the two?

Practicing is playing, but playing is not neccesarily practicing. Practicing is playing with the very definite aim of improving your technique; learning some new things and all that sort of stuff, whereas playing is anything as long as there's noise coming from your instrument.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I consider practicing and playing to have different goals, but with some overlap.

When you're practicing, you take things slowly, and REALLY concentrate on what you're doing. You aren't just letting your fingers do what they remember while your mind is off thinking about what's for dinner. You analyze every little thing you do, trying to realize what creates the most tension, trying to relax that tension, trying to get your playing as perfect and clean as possible. You start out very slow until your fingers and your mind understand what to do, and then bring in the metronome and work it up to speed a few bpm at a time. You stop when you make a mistake, and play that little part over and over and over until your fingers will never forget.

When you're playing, you're just letting loose, having fun, playing what you want. You could just play through songs you know, or jam with a backing track or something. That isn't to say you should completely ignore technique and make it sound awful, but you put the magnifying glass down for a while and just play.

There's definitely overlap between practicing and playing as well. For example, you won't get good at improvisation by just playing scales. You've got to actually improvise! Record a chord progression and play along with it. Here you're really having fun, basically just soloing, but you're also learning what sounds good, what doesn't, and you're improving your improvising.

Hope this helps...
It's a good question, because there IS a difference. Very big. Anyone that really
wants to get much beyond beginner will need to figure this out. Guitar starts out
relatively easy in terms of making progress and it gets MUCH MUCH harder to
progress to the higher levels.

Practice is essentially where you work on perfection. Your technique, your
knowledge, your awareness... You never really reach perfection, but you get
closer and closer. When you're playing, you become the music. This is where
you reap what you've sowed in practice. When you have to think, you can't self-
express as well. Practice expands the territory you can self-express in while
playing. It gives you a bigger sandbox to play in. In a small sandbox, you get
bored quickly and lose interest -- and so does the audience.
Pract. is when you doing scales, and what I call dextarity exercises. where you try to get you fingers to move faster throughout the fret board.

Playing is were you combine everything that you practiced on into a song.