My girlfriend bought me an Ibanez Iceman (ICX 220 DX, the low-end Iceman model) for my birthday and Im looking to customize the crap out of this one. One of the things on my list was installing a floyd rose, and this for sure would require some pretty intense modifying. im a really huge fan of floyd rose, one of my other guitars is an Ibanez S520EX and i really like the setup and want to do something similar.

My question is, does anyone know roughly how much this would cost and does anyone know of any shops or anyone that will do it that i can be refered to?

Any help is appreciated!

cheers,
joe
Last edited by jmarshall1011 at Aug 2, 2007,
Nice gift. It's gonna be quite a bit cheaper to do a Floyd Rose installation yourself. A good quality new Floyd will probably cost somewhere around $200, although a used one could be had for $100-150, and a crappier one could be had for $30. The labor I don't know about, I think someone said it was $50 once.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
hey man, thanks for the response!

i probably should have specified, but the bridge is a tune-o-matic so there is no trem on the guitar whatsoever. definatly going to require some cutting, routing, ect.

I did consider this as a DIY project, but i dont really know much about setting a floyd rose up, let alone im a bit leary of cutting into the guitar, drilling, all that good stuff myself. if someone could link me to a schematic for this kind of set up that would be cool. if i cant make the cuts in the guitar i could probably find a friend who could if they had all the right measurements and such.

even at that, im still hoping to find a shop that i can contact who specializes in this kind of stuff. i would really hate to ruin this thing, it would break my girlfriend's heart as well as mine!
I understand totally. I haven't seen any schematics for this. A Kahler is a possibility, especially if you don't mind spending a bit of money. A Kahler requires basically zero routing, while still giving you rock hard tuning stability. Some measurements on a Floyd guitar should tell you where to route. Basically, try to place the saddles as close to the location of the saddles on the T-O-M. Your main concern should be keeping the bridge parallel with the frets.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
Quote by AngusX
I understand totally. I haven't seen any schematics for this. A Kahler is a possibility, especially if you don't mind spending a bit of money. A Kahler requires basically zero routing, while still giving you rock hard tuning stability. Some measurements on a Floyd guitar should tell you where to route. Basically, try to place the saddles as close to the location of the saddles on the T-O-M. Your main concern should be keeping the bridge parallel with the frets.

Actually floating bridge Kahlers require routing. Read it up.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
i would suggest u get a pro to do it if ur not VERY confident about drilling and routing and then getting the positioning right so ur intonation is good etc
you should really get this http://store.guitarfetish.com/flroflotrsy.html floyd, it's almost as good as a OFR.
:
Quote by malachifivebass
you cant make a male musician choose music or sex, its like asking a fat man twinkie or brownie

Quote by iamnotrabid
Quote by metdethslaythrx
Naomi
it's "I moan" backwards
No, it's I maon.

Phail

I WILL one day rule the world, Pm me with the position you want and Ill see if it is open.
Quote by AngusX

A Kahler requires a top route
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Just my opinion on this,

But...

If it was a gift, I wouldn't do that, the person that bought it for you may think it doesn't have quite the substantial (sp?) value you give it.

I'd buy a new guitar with one on or a Whammy Pedal.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
agreed about hte gift thing.

But if you don't already have a router and an appropriate bit, then it will honestly cost you more to do it yourself with the high chance you'll screw up too.

If you are good at routing then the floyd will come with routing directions.
Yeah, to be honest, with the amount of money and time you'd spend on it, you might as well save up and get an RG prestige or something. I've had to extend an existing FR routing before to fir a bigger tremolo in, and that was bad enough.

If you're determined, then get a pro to do it. If you have some doubt, then save up for an RG1570 or something.

Besides, you'd be sacrificing the sustain of an iceman
God knows I don't want to be an angel

PSN ID: MattIgoe
Wii ID: 7810 3870 3554 5359
Gamertag: MattIgoe
So, "basically zero routing" was not the term to use, but, when you compare routing to the guitar body for a Floyd Rose to the routing that must be done for a Kahler (according to their website "the guitar body must be routed with a 1" inch deep "T" shaped route"), it would be substantially less. Plus, it would circumvent the trem locating that would have to be done for a Floyd.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
Quote by tubab0y
Hey look, absolutely no routing!

Quote by wammiworld.com
Made to retrofit Tune-o-Matic Stop tailpiece style bridges. Also for arched / carved top and flat guitar bodies. Also guitars that require a higher bridge because of drop away neck angles. Designed for Gibson LP's, this trem was sported on many factory SG's and Explorers during the 80's. All 7200 Hybrids come with an arm, mounting studs, riser wheels and inserts for all, and a routing template.