Do I need to a permit to play music downtown on the sidewalk/on the streets?

I'm not sure, but I think you need one.

By the way, I live about 30-45 minutes from Pittsburgh.
no, just do it
Quote by dunkelblau

Dear Stoner Stone,
I have found in reading this post that you are lacking the intelligence of a normal person.
you need serious help, possibly involving a screwdriver, and a large piece of wood.
please, be deceased now.
thank you

You don't need a permit to busk on streets, unless your volume goes over a certain limit, or, generally, when you use an amp. However, individual state laws may vary. I'd suggest going to your town hall and asking there.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Quote by Gunpowder
You don't need a permit to busk on streets, unless your volume goes over a certain limit, or, generally, when you use an amp. However, individual state laws may vary. I'd suggest going to your town hall and asking there.

[/Thread]
Depends on the place, where I live you do.
ESP Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Eclipse
ESP Standard Eclipse-II
Ibanez AF85VLS
I live all the way over in a suburb of Detroit, Michigan, but at least here you need a permit. My friend got a ticket for "soliciting" after playing his acoustic guitar in a local shopping district.
I think that the main problem occurs when musicians ask for donations (e.g. keeping a jar of coins next to you). You'll probably be fine if you make it clear that you aren't asking for money.
Quote by lawlz4life
I live all the way over in a suburb of Detroit, Michigan, but at least here you need a permit. My friend got a ticket for "soliciting" after playing his acoustic guitar in a local shopping district.
I think that the main problem occurs when musicians ask for donations (e.g. keeping a jar of coins next to you). You'll probably be fine if you make it clear that you aren't asking for money.

then why do it
Quote by nexteyenate
+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

leftybassdude's opinion is superior to anyone else's

Member of The Weakerthans Fan Club
PM TechnicolorBoy or maybe_I_am to join
I won't be using any amps, just an acoustic guitar and playing along with my friend's acoustic as well.

I might check the Town Hall, that's a good suggestion. I just hope we don't get ticketed. That would blow...we've played outside movie theaters, the mall, and shopping markets before and have gotten kicked out
In my good homeland of oz its $40 bucks a year for a busking licence and you can go anywhere and busk for money. Pretty good seeing as you can make over $40 bucks a go sometimes and if you go once a week to a crowded place then $JACKPOT$
You dont need pants for the victory dance!
Quote by lawlz4life
Nobody in their right mind does that. An open guitar case is where the money goes.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
My friends and I have played in a downtown area of a town next to us, and people have gathered to see us play. We did it just 2 guitars, once more, and the police saw and never cared. Then last time we had a drumset too, and the police came and said we have to stop everything EXCEPT the drums. So we kept playing some drums to entertain but another officer said stop altogether, we needed permission to use the towns power and to play the music. So i did some research, made a dozen phone calls, and found out as long as the volume doesn't disrupt conversation in the stores nearby I assume, then it's fine. We do need permission to use the outlet we were, so I wrote the corect person and she never got back to me. I'll write her again, see what happens. So yeah, it's fun and it's been done, so try and get the permission so you can rock for the town-goers.
-
Quote by Chapsta
In my good homeland of oz its $40 bucks a year for a busking licence and you can go anywhere and busk for money. Pretty good seeing as you can make over $40 bucks a go sometimes and if you go once a week to a crowded place then $JACKPOT$
I've seen a video where John Butler got about $300 AUS in about an hour for charity
Quote by Eminored
The enjoyment and experience of being outside and sharing your love for music with others while expecting nothing in return?

BLASPHEMY!
EEEEEVERYBODY knows music is nothing without money!

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Quote by Mzyz
I live in Pittsburgh, if it helps.

And if so, where would I be able to obtain such a permit?

No, according to chapter 6 of Pittsburgh code, busking is permitted without a permit.
Quote by drummer603
No, according to chapter 6 of Pittsburgh code, busking is permitted without a permit.

I'm sure 7 years ago TS appreciates your quick response.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I'm sure 7 years ago TS appreciates your quick response.

Who's the asshole who necroed this thread?
Quote by Axelfox
Who's the asshole who necroed this thread?

Familiarize yourself with the time stamp on each post, Axel.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
inb4 'huh?'
Quote by CaptainCanti
it wouldn't surprise me if UG goes down within the next couple months, along with other privately owned sites

December 14, 2017
I used to petition downtown all the time and as far as I know no you don't need a permit. Sidewalks downtown are typically considered public spaces so you can do whatever you want on them.

Of course I don't live in Pittsburg so I don't know if the laws are different.
don't do it man you'll just piss people off with your shitty music. any money that is earned will be entirely out of pity.
You should just not do that.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by drummer603

damn n00bs bumping.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by lolmnt
You should just not do that.

I look stupid now.

Hope you didn't do that, past guy.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
i love/hate how supportive the first few posts were

Quote by drummer603

**** the police.
Some see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty. Me? I see that the glass is refillable.
Here I was wondering who have the posters in this thread were, and then staring in shock at SYK's post thinking he was back.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Quote by drummer603

hey look at me i like dicks in my bum i also like to bump 7 year old irrelevant threads