Hello,

I have a Stock 50th Anniversary American Stratocaster identical to the one in this picture:

Anyways, I play this through a Marshall AVT20 Valvestate 2000 Amplifier and it sounds amazing...all until I try palm muting the lower frets with the overdrive channel. It causes an UGLY wobbly vibration sound (it's quite hard for me to describe).

I thought that this might be a problem with the amp, so by the process of elimination I plugged the guitar into my RPX400 effects pedal, straight through to a decent pair of headphones and what do you know, the same exact horrifying sound.

I only have access to this one guitar so I was wondering if this could be a problem with the stock single coil bridge pickup on my guitar. Should a guitar with a decent humbucker in the bridge position fix this?

Best,
Andy.
was it possibly a loose saddle?
Quote by CORT noob
Sex her, take the guitar, then sex her mom and have her walk in on you. Then, mom is happy, she doesn't want to be your friend anymore, and you keep the geetar. It's a win win for America!
Quote by benEboy2008
was it possibly a loose saddle?

it's not a physical defect in the guitar by any means; I'm more or less wondering if it's just the single coil pickup not having enough "output" to construct a decent sounding palm mute.
i can palm mute just fine on my strat
im almost positive that any weird vibrations youre hearing are from your bridge
Quote by CORT noob
Sex her, take the guitar, then sex her mom and have her walk in on you. Then, mom is happy, she doesn't want to be your friend anymore, and you keep the geetar. It's a win win for America!
Na you can palm mute fine on a single coil thats not the issue

What it does sound like is a saddle issue, put the guitar on a hard table then strike each string and look at the saddles one of your intonation screws might be loose.

Also check that your pick up height, make sure its not so high your strings are hitting the pickups when you palm mute.