I currently have a BB Blaster BB10, and am thinking of getting a line 6 spider III 75w. I can get it for about £240, but with a budget of £300, is there any other SS amps you guys would recommend?

Thanks in advance.

[EDIT] I play metal, thrash, speed etc. No real reason I'm limiting it.
Last edited by gen0doom at Aug 2, 2007,
What are you planning to do with the amp, just practicing at home, jamming or gigging?
But please, don't buy a spider, they sound so digital and very flat. They're loud but can't cut through in a band. I know because I had to rehearse a while with a Spider II 150 and even full out I couldn't really hear myself play.
Better amps are Vox Valvetronix, Roland Cube, Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue.
The gear is in the profile.
You know you want to take a look

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Strat-mangling, echo-eating janglefan σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Anything but a Line 6 IMO. What would you be using your amp for? I.e. gigging, bedroom, rehearsal?
When altitude dropping, my ears started popping. One more red nightmare...
It's pretty much just bedroom practising atm. Although I'm off to uni the end of this summer, so I may end up in a band, so something that would be suitable for either situation I guess.
Quote by gen0doom
It's pretty much just bedroom practising atm. Although I'm off to uni the end of this summer, so I may end up in a band, so something that would be suitable for either situation I guess.

Vox Valvetronix or Roland Cube amps might be a better choice.
Everyone recommends the Vox Valvetronix over the Spider and I'm really not sure why.

Maybe it depends on the sound you're after but the Vox was absolutely horrible for modern high gain, metal type sounds when I tried it.

I think the Spider would not be any good for either classic rock style or modern indie pop/rock since the thrend at the moment is "retro".
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
Quote by Dr. B
Everyone recommends the Vox Valvetronix over the Spider and I'm really not sure why.

Maybe it depends on the sound you're after but the Vox was absolutely horrible for modern high gain, metal type sounds when I tried it.

I think the Spider would not be any good for either classic rock style or modern indie pop/rock since the thrend at the moment is "retro".

The Vox sounded good to me even for high gain.
Quote by Dr. B

The Spider sounds digital and crap on any setting. If you thought the Valvetronix was bad, your ear for tone obviously isn't developed enough to know what is good and what is bad.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Could try a Randall, Andertons have quite a few in stock. And a few nice ex-demo models going for cheap.

RG50TC- All tube high gain £200-B stock

http://www.andertons.co.uk/acatalog/info_BSTOCKRG50T.html

RG75G3 - Hybrid high gain £200 - Ex demo

http://www.andertons.co.uk/acatalog/info_EXDEMRG75G3.html

Just 2 of the great deals I was looking to buy myself. I settles on an Atomic 112-18 and a tube preamp which im deciding on atm. Looking like Engl 530e so far.
Tbh I'm not really a connoisseur of tone. I'm using one of the worst amps known to mankind, so anything would be a huge improvement. I've read quite a bit about the spider, but there seems to be a divide in opinions. I'm just looking for an amp that can handle decent metal tones really.
Would I need a pedal to get a metal-ish sound out of the Randall, or is the od/dist on the amp alright? I was thinking about getting the Metal Muff, but don't want to waste money if it's not needed.
Quote by MrCarrot
The Spider sounds digital and crap on any setting. If you thought the Valvetronix was bad, your ear for tone obviously isn't developed enough to know what is good and what is bad.

Not true.
For practice, I can get decent tones out of the Spider (not saying anything about gig/rehearsal volumes, I never tried and never will).
It is very obviously not tube, though.
However, I only tried the Vox with the gain up fullish, and it sounded, thin and weedy whereas the Spider sounds full and beefy, even if it is digital.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Cort M200/WS
Hayden Mofo

My Band - Haemasmtha
Buy that Randall RG50TC. It's full tube, its a nice sounding amp. You won't be disappointed. btw if you don't get your hands on that one than randall SS amps are some of the best SS amps around
The gear is in the profile.
You know you want to take a look

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Strat-mangling, echo-eating janglefan σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Randall pretty much specialize in Metal tones. Id get the tube combo play with it and if you think it needs more gain get the metal muff. If you don't need it bonus if you do you can easily afford it within the £300 budget, especially if the amp only costs you £200. I mean how often do you find tube combos for £200.
Last edited by halikus at Aug 2, 2007,
Quote by Dr. B
Not true.
For practice, I can get decent tones out of the Spider (not saying anything about gig/rehearsal volumes, I never tried and never will).
It is very obviously not tube, though.
However, I only tried the Vox with the gain up fullish, and it sounded, thin and weedy whereas the Spider sounds full and beefy, even if it is digital.

EQ? An amp you keep at home will probably sound better 'cause you've got it EQ'd how you like, and you can spend however long you want on it - a store amp will be a 30 minute experience.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
EQ? An amp you keep at home will probably sound better 'cause you've got it EQ'd how you like, and you can spend however long you want on it - a store amp will be a 30 minute experience.

Possibly, but I did, of course, play with the EQ.
I found the Spider very easy to dial in decent, if not authentic, sounds, whereas I couldn't with the Vox.

Anyway, that Randall looks a bargain, even the 50W head version of it is only £299!
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Cort M200/WS
Hayden Mofo

My Band - Haemasmtha
Cheers guys. Unfortunately, I can't try the Randall out, Gamlins (nearest decent music shop) doesnt seem to stock Randalls. Should I just buy it without trying?
I seriously doubt you will find anything remotely as good for the money. I was going to just one without trying as im in the same boat with no stores close. In fact Andertons is the closest Randall dealer to me and its about an hours drive each way. Come on £200 for a tube combo. It gonna beat the hell outta any other £200 amp out there. If its not to your liking im sure you would be able to sell it on for the same money you payed on ebay.
I'd try and get this...

http://www.rockingrooster.co.uk/productAshdownFallenAngel40DSP-169-165.html

However it's likely to be out of stock as they've been discontinued...most places that had them have run out. Worth a try though.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com