im getting an extra heavy gauge, along the lines of .56 to .60 gauge low E string. Im using a .11 set right now. Question, will these heavier gauges fit into a standard nut(earvana) without any modifications?
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
Alright thanks, i hope the tech doesnt charge me more for setup + nut filing
what tuning are you using at this gauge? i sometimes play at Drop B and .52 is fine for the top string? so are u going even lower?
can your guitar neck even stand .60s at E standard? i highly doubt it.. your tension's gonna be very different, personally i cant stand it.
its gonna get sent for a full setup since im switching to the heavier gauge. So .60 is too heavy for E standard? How about .56 then?
i duno man im in Drop C on my ESP guitar with .52 top string and i have to use 2 fingers to get good harmonics on the first 3 or 4 frets. anything above Drop C in this gauge would be far too high a tension as suckasucks says. Even at Drop D i find these too high a tension. But i dunno i wouldnt know what to recommend other than ur standard .49
I use 12-54s for B standard but they are pretty loose. I would say that E standard is not possible for this gauge though.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
at the moment im using Curt Mangan .11 strings, its very similar to Ernie Ball strings, Curt Mangan being an ex EB employee himself. Anyway when its tuned to C standard, the strings just dont cut it, its rubber band floppy and the bass response is very loose. So i was thinking skipping 2 gauges up or something along those lines.

If i were to get GHS boomers on the hand, those i can go easy on the gauges since the tension is soo darn tight. Even on .9, it feels like you're playing on a .12, razor wire, but i never liked GHS strings anyway.

I guess brand does matter, some brands like Ernie Ball or Curt Mangan have softer, low tension, more easier on the fingers strings, whereas brands like GHS, are tight, very high tension strings.

so tell me what brands and gauges you guys are using for your C standard guitar.
The highest I've ever gone is 12-52 in E standard, and the 52 (Low E) barely fit in the nut. If you're going to play E and C standards, 12 is as high as I would recommend.
Quote by Felkara
Dude, you just made the most intelligent post in this entire thread. Congrats.