Hey all, ive recently gotten a bit pissed off with my valveking 100w head (IT DOES HAVE LOADS OF GAIN LOL) but Im really startig to thik the tone is pretty naf.. like when you hang out with sum1 who uses a naf lil 15w amp n you think jesus that thing sucks!!

I really want sumthing thats not so harsh n ****e sounding but still has enought gain to get a shred tone out of it.. im not into death metal n all that lol so I dont need to base my decision soley on what amp has the most gain..

I played on one of those new vintage classic heads not too long ago and that thing rocked! you could feel the power it has while still keeping a supurb tone.. bit to expensive for me tho! plus I realy need at least 2 channels!

I spose a 50W head will do as ive never really had to krank my 100watter lol

I play blues/rock/metal (megadeth metallica.. nowt heavier) all the early shred icons used marshalls (pretty much).

... What do you guys reckon? + which marshall would you recommend ..or do you think im just being to fussy.. lol
JCM800, and then add a TS-9 on top and you've got the rig that a ton of modern hard rock guitarists use.

If you get it used you can save massive amounts of money on the same thing.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Hmm, how about Traynor YCVs combos? There a tad more expensive over here but there more marshally voiced. But i dunno if you intend on keeping the cab and everything with your VK.
I don't know much on marshalls as im not a huge marshall fan.
Peavey Windsors are suppose to be hot rodded JCM800 clones.
^ Ooh yeah, good idea - Peavey Windsors are JCM800 clones and very very cheap. The only downside to them is that they're 100w and don't have much by way of cleans...May not be better for lighter tastes.
hmm.. yeh I should have mentioned that im using a marshall 2x12 1936 cab which I do intend to keep for use with the new head..

MrCarrot- really cool sounds good, whats a TS-9 tho?
hmm I will look into the windsors its not the most sexy looking bit of kit tho lol..
A TS-9 is an Ibanez Tubescreamer. In short, it's pretty much an industry standard overdrive pedal.

thomann.de do 2x12 and 4x12 cabs loaded with Celestion Vintage 30 speakers under their own brand for very cheap - look into them, Harley benton G212 and G412 Vintage on thomann.de. They'd go well with either a JCM800 or Windsor head.
Quote by synth002
hmm I will look into the windsors its not the most sexy looking bit of kit tho lol..

I think the Windsor's a step up from the VK, even though it sells for less. I'd run a Craig's List ad looking to trade your VK head for a Windsor straight up. See if you get any takers. It could be a win-win.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
I think the Windsor's a step up from the VK, even though it sells for less. I'd run a Craig's List ad looking to trade your VK head for a Windsor straight up. See if you get any takers. It could be a win-win.

Can you explain how a Windsor would be better than a VK? Im interested in hearing the rational behind this myself.
I recomend goin used on a JCM900, you could get that for under £500, But, have you got a valveking head or combo? if head, use the cab that you got for now.

I know that one of my best mates and my old bandmate brought (both off of ebay) a JCM900 dual reverb and 2/12 marshall cab for around £600 total (maybe abit less, maybe abit more) and both worked perfectly.
Quote by ASGTrace
Can you explain how a Windsor would be better than a VK? Im interested in hearing the rational behind this myself.

It just sounds better. The Valveking is probably the most lifeless all-tube amp on the market. I suspect the Windsor is less expensive because of it's simpler, one-channel design. That simple circuit may be part of the reason that it's tone is so much nicer. If you're looking for a loud hard rock amp on a budget, the Windsor's a fine choice. It's something I'm willing to recommend, although it's not for someone who needs cleans as any part of their sound.

OTOH, when people are looking at VK's, I generally try to come up with some alternatives (i.e.: Crate Palomino). The used market is your friend.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.