So I just recently bought a 100 watt Marhsall amp, MG series. I was told it is brand new, perfectly good workign condition. But all of a sudden it just starts buzzing intensely, so bad that it drowns out my guitar. Anyone know what the problem is? It is still under warranty because I only just bought it two days ago, should I exchange it for a new one or bring it back? Any ideas?
Quote by LedZepKicksAzz
You are simply the greatest person ever to walk this great planet.
take it back and get a refund, MG are ****.
Sharing is caring
Fuck the RIAA

- Gear -
ESP LTD MH-400
Epiphone Les Paul
Vox AD30VT
Zoom G2.1u
Take it back, get a refund, and put that money towards a better amp.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
That's what MGs do man.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Why are MG so bad? I like the sound of them. Is it the quality that is put into making them?
Quote by LedZepKicksAzz
just play a jcm man and you'll see why we hate it, they are crap man n' you here that everywhere, if you want a good solid state buy a randall or peavy
Fender Strat 60th Anniv HotRoded
others

Marshall 1980 JMP 2203
Marshall JCM900 1960A Cab
Valve Jr.

VOX v847a Modded
EHX Small Clone Modded
Maxon OD-820
MXR 1978 Flanger
Digitech Whammy
TC Polytune
Custom LPB-1 Boost
Quote by slashVR
Why are MG so bad? I like the sound of them. Is it the quality that is put into making them?

Because they sound bad, but there worst offense is that they are expensive, and that for the price of most of them you could get a real amp.

If you think they sound good you haven't been playing long, eventually you'll appreciate the difference between an amp that covers up your mistakes, and an amp that has good tone.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
If you legitimately like the tone of the amp, then no one here can say you're wrong b/c it's objective, but most people quickly grow out of liking the MG. And a big problem is the fact that everyone now and then, one of them just doesn't work, much like yours.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by TNfootballfan62
Take it back, get a refund, and put that money towards a better amp.

Tremendous advice that you'd be wise to take. I understand why an MG or a Spider might sound good in the store, but -trust me!- the sound quickly gets stale. Especially when you start hearing other amps.

A tube combo would be best. Something like a Crate V32 Palomino would be similar in cost and perceived volume, but miles ahead in tone. If you're newish, and want to stick with a SS amp with built in effects, go for the Roland Cube or Vox Valvetronix.

Giving up on the MG quickly will be one of the best choices you could've made.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
Tremendous advice that you'd be wise to take. I understand why an MG or a Spider might sound good in the store, but -trust me!- the sound quickly gets stale. Especially when you start hearing other amps.

A tube combo would be best. Something like a Crate V32 Palomino would be similar in cost and perceived volume, but miles ahead in tone. If you're newish, and want to stick with a SS amp with built in effects, go for the Roland Cube or Vox Valvetronix.

Giving up on the MG quickly will be one of the best choices you could've made.

I learned that the hard way first amp was an MG15 which was good for my first amp. but then I wanted a bigger one and when I was playing the spider in the store im like hell yeah!! this sounds awesome! after I took it home and to a friends house I cranked it about half volume and wow... you guys can guess what it sounded like......... SH!TT... I'm desperatly trying to sell it in a local ad website but I've got no replies!!!!! this sucks..

but really man, they do sound decent at low volumes but it's not an amp you can trust and on high volumes it's garbage
Ive got an MG and i hate it, i got a really good deal on it because a relative owns the store but im getting rid of it and buying a tube as soon as i can, take the cahnce youve got and get a refund and put it towards a Tube amp, buying another SS in my oppinion is just a waste of money because youll grow out of it pretty quick.
Quote by Campbell_x50
amen to slats

Do yourself a favor & listen to these guys. There's many years of experience & trained ears trying to guide you here!!
If Slats recommends an amp, you can take his word for it.

Lose the MG....
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Well it turns out it was my guitar lol, a wire broke from the input jack. Unfortunately I won't be taking anyone's advice and bringing it back though, because I really do like the sound of it and I don't understand why others don't like it. I got mine for $500, I thought it was a great deal.
Quote by LedZepKicksAzz
We're just trying to help here. The MG is one of the most sterile, bad sounding amps available lately, and while you may like the tone and options for a month, or maybe even a year, sooner or later you're going to realize that it sounds BAD. There are many amps that you could get that are CONSIDERABLY better for $500, depending on your style. Return it now before you can't anymore.
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
Home-Built Germanium Fuzz Face
MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
2 Fender Blues Juniors
People hate this amp for good reason. Even most of the owners don't like it (at least for very long.) If you are stuck with it make the best of it. Don't use the amp's distortion, run it clean with a pedal. Don't turn it up any louder than necessary. If you can get your money back I'd go for it soon.
If you end up liking this amp in a year you have my humblest apology.
hmm well what other amps are out there for $500 that can buy tht have multiple effects built in? Also if possible, good for an 80s hair metal tone.
Quote by LedZepKicksAzz
First off I didn't mean to sound unkind. If you must have multi-effects built in the Roland Cube 60 lists for $345 USD. If I were you I would buy a small tube combo like a Crate Palamino or other and get a multi-effects pedal (Digitech, Line 6, Zoom.) That way when you outgrow the multi-effects you will still have a good sounding loud tube combo. Best of both worlds.
Quote by slashVR
hmm well what other amps are out there for $500 that can buy tht have multiple effects built in? Also if possible, good for an 80s hair metal tone.

What built-in effects do you feel you need?

'Cause you could get a Crate V32 112 for $500 that'll do your 80's metal all on it's own, and sound much better doing it than any SS combo with built-in effects and presets.

If you must, the Vox Valvetronix is the best of the bunch. We had an AD30VT that my son primarily used, which was nice enough and all, but sold it within a couple months and replaced it with a Crate V16. It was a brilliant move. He plays a lot of classic rock up to stuff like the Chili's and Wolfmother. It covers all his bases.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by uldhppi
First off I didn't mean to sound unkind. If you must have multi-effects built in the Roland Cube 60 lists for $345 USD. If I were you I would buy a small tube combo like a Crate Palamino or other and get a multi-effects pedal (Digitech, Line 6, Zoom.) That way when you outgrow the multi-effects you will still have a good sounding loud tube combo. Best of both worlds.

No no, I didn't take anyone's comments as unkind, everyone who posts is helpful. BTW, thanks for all the feedback everyone :P
Quote by LedZepKicksAzz