I know this is a stupid question, but everyone who tabulates makes listing mistakes that throw me off when it comes to tuning.
when they say something like drop c, do they mean tune the 6th string (the fat E) to a C, or do i have to tune everything down 2 steps?
i thank you all for your help and your patience with me lol
it depends usually they tell you what to tune the strings to, but if they don't go to the search bar and type in tuning and pick lessons. there is a bunch of tunings there. and if you can't find anything there, pm me and ill see if i can help

and it's not a stupid question, i have asked similar questions.
Last edited by Metallica_Man55 at Aug 6, 2007,
usually when they're calling something "drop C" they mean everything 2 halfsteps down and the low E tuned down to a C
ah ok. thank you all very much for your aid...and just so i understand it all...when they jusy want you to tune the 6th string down to like a D, what would you call that?

example:
EADGBe
to
DADGBe
thats a dropped 'd' i think(a favourite with soundgarden and alice in chains)
if they call is drop D
how do you know if they want you to tune just the 6th string, or all the strings?
i say this because the tap i read (cries in vain by bullet for my valentine) and it said its in drop c, and the bars dont say if the tab is droped with all notes or the 6th note.
Drop anything will consist of the 6th string being a whole step lower than whatever tuning the others are in, if I'm not mistaken.

Drop D - DADGBe
Drop C - CGCFAd

etc.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
there are 2 types of drop d, i have yet to see the second. the first is just dropping the big e string to a d. the second is dropping the big and little e strings to d. like i said before, they usually post it on the tab what the tuning is.
Quote by sambargun
thats a dropped 'd' i think(a favourite with soundgarden and alice in chains)

i haven't looked up more than one alice in chains tab, but i looked up "them bones", and it was drop d then half a step down. do they (alice in chains) do that all the time?
Quote by jmag
Drop anything will consist of the 6th string being a whole step lower than whatever tuning the others are in, if I'm not mistaken.

Drop D - DADGBe
Drop C - CGCFAd

etc.

yeah i think you're right. i have noticed that with drop tunings