I bought a cheapo electric upright bass off eBay. Long story short, it's basically an electric with a small body and an end pin. It has the same fingerboard radius and scale length of a bass guitar (34" as opposed to 42" scale of a bass viol). At first I was crushed, but then I realized there's no learning curve now. Too bad no arco.

Anyway, the electronics scheme is... interesting to say the least. There are 2 Jazz pickups inside the body and a piezo pickup under the bridge saddle. There are 3 knobs at the side of the bass: one volume knob for each pickup. Using the Jazz pickups, I get a bassy, woolly sound (but at a whisper of output... well, that's what the Fulltone is for). When I solo either Jazz pickup, I get the single coil hum. Both pickups on, it doesn't sound that bad. However, it does sound very electric.

The bass is totally passive, meaning the piezo controls the volume, not an EQ. Turning on only the piezo, I get a nice but very characteristically piezo tone; very brittle treble, a bit of a honky midrange, and a full but hidden bottom. Many upright players use piezo pickups. I think I can get the proper tone out of the pickup, just with proper EQ. Any ideas on what I should do?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
You have no talent and you'll never be a musician.

Nah, but seriously, aren't piezo pickups usually active? I thought that's how they emulated the double bass.
Quote by Hergiswi
You have no talent and you'll never be a musician.

Nah, but seriously, aren't piezo pickups usually active? I thought that's how they emulated the double bass.

Like most pickups themselves, piezos aren't active. They usually have a preamp, and that's active. The NS WAV4 is totally passive.

Quote by Bumper
eBay > You. Better luck next time.

Yeah, thanks for coming out... I'm wondering how to get a good upright tone out of a piezo pickup. Weren't you in the hunt for one? The bass is fine, it plays well, but I need some EQ settings to help carve the sound.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Aug 2, 2007,
Quote by thefitz
Yeah, thanks for coming out... I'm wondering how to get a good upright tone out of a piezo pickup. Weren't you in the hunt for one? The bass is fine, it plays well, but I need some EQ settings to help carve the sound.

Yeah, I was looking for an upright, but I wanted an acoustic one. My knowledge of them (and piezo pups for that matter) is limited. Sorry I can't help anymore than I already have. In any case you should just be grateful I graced your thread with my presence.
I don't really know if it will help, but I would think the best thing to do is look for an external preamp/DI made for piezo pickups, You might be able to work out a more natural sound with that. I know everyone will attack me for saying behringer, but I use the cheap behringer acoustic guitar pre/DI box and it can add a little warmth and color to my cheap brittle sounding accoustic/electric guitar. Maybe just using a real tube pre would help too, add just enough SUBTLE distortion that it comes out warmer? That's the best I got.

Edit: Also you can't arco on the ns design? I thought the bridge had enough arch. I had been considering ordering one to try out, but after your comments maybe I won't even bother.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Aug 3, 2007,