anyone want to give me a good starting place to begin listening to sun ra?
i would like to check him out because of a video that was posted in the "Good Rap" thread where Madlib cited him as a big influence...

help me out folks
Quote by uhh_me?
anyone want to give me a good starting place to begin listening to sun ra?
i would like to check him out because of a video that was posted in the "Good Rap" thread where Madlib cited him as a big influence...

help me out folks

Well, I did a quick search and this might help you out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Ra_discography#Recommended_recordings

I'd start off with what was put there. I'm new to Sun Ra so I'm going to check out Jazz In Silhouette.
i got the futuristic sounds of... out of the library today
i am going to listen to it and report back
Sun Ra is so hard to listen to if you've not heard him before, so once you've taken a listen to it and maybe not liked it, I'd really recommend going back to it later and taking another listen.

I have that 'Futuristic sounds of...' album lying about somewhere and some odd Batman thing he did. Really nuts for the most part.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
^Yup, avant garde is so hard to get into because a lot of it is so ballistic and hardly resembles music sometimes. When I first got John Coltrane's Stellar Regions album, I thought it was so nuts I could hardly listen to it, but I got used to it, and now I love that stuff.
honestly futuristic sounds was pretty great
i was expecting something a little more out there though, but there were spots where i caught a glimpse of what i was hoping for

i hope i can find a later album to compare with