within the war
Unregistered User
353 IQ
Has anyone tryied this head? I can't find much info on it. Its a solid state. Not a MG. How does it sound? Would it be suitable for metal? I have several pedals I could put infront of it if it lacks distortion. Anyone know how many ohms?
Gabel
UG's Swede
4,239 IQ
It's an MG.

The old MGs were called Gs. They're MGs minus the effects.

It sucks (it's an MG, so what do you expect?).

What's you budget?

Get a Roland Cube instead.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
within the war
Unregistered User
353 IQ
About 400ish maybe a little more. How is the roland cube 60? Will I be able to play deathmetal on it? I also play classic rock.
LoveBuzz87
UG Fanatic
855 IQ
Go with a Vox the best you can get of the Valvetronix series. Why? You can get amazing sounds from it by pushing the volume all the way and controlling the volume with the wattage knob on the back.
Quote by Varkunus
well i got an MG
uldhppi
Guitar Since 1967
301 IQ
I am favorably impressed by the Cubes. Most metal players say they do metal nicely. I play only blues and classic rock. You know you can get a good used tube combo or decent new tube combo for that money?
jman007_93
1,818 IQ
If you've read Gabe's Marshall Thread it says that the Gs are MGs with a different name, that's all.

And yeah, go with the the Cube. And I liked the Valvetronix too, but I wouldn't get it because for metal the Cube has more gain. If you gig your gonna need the 60w Cube.
moomoocons
Amerijuanican
718 IQ
Cube>Valvetronix for metal. For sure.
/SG/
"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming."
Leat
UG Freak
1,369 IQ
Go for it. I wanted one I saw at a local shop, but it sold. I want it mostly for the vintage-ness even though it's not a super great amp worthy of professionals. Go ahead, knock your socks off, get it. Hey Static-X used that amp!
Gabel
UG's Swede
4,239 IQ
^Wayne Static has stopped using them.

Really it's a really bad amp.

Get the Cube instead

Quote by which ones pink
Your price range is 400. 400 what? Dollars? Pounds? Lira?

Even though Italy now uses Euro that's hialrious.

Hope his budget isn't in yen...
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Axial
119 IQ
Quote by LoveBuzz87
Go with a Vox the best you can get of the Valvetronix series. Why? You can get amazing sounds from it by pushing the volume all the way and controlling the volume with the wattage knob on the back.

wait so with that amp you can get a cranked tube sound without blowing you're ears off and pissing off the neighbors?
Mattb720
302 IQ
I don't know if you're looking for a head or just a combo, but I can tell you that I've jammed a few times with a guitarist playing through a Marshall MG head, and my Randall made it sound like a toy, pretty much. Randall makes relatively cheap heads/combos that have an amazing sound.
Gear
Left-Handed Schecter C-1 Stealth
Left-Handed Fender Standard Strat

EHX Little Big Muff
Boss DS-2
EHX PolyChorus

Orange Rocker 30 Head

Next Purchases:
Storm_Bringer_
utterly butterly
728 IQ
Quote by moomoocons
Cube>Valvetronix for metal. For sure.

the vox XL series are supposed to blow the rolands out of the water, i can only find a piss-poor video on youtube though so you'd need to test that out yourself if at all possible

Quote by Axial
wait so with that amp you can get a cranked tube sound without blowing you're ears off and pissing off the neighbors?

no but apparently it gets very close
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD