Im in a band and everyone has been busy lately.I always get the urge to make a song, lyrics and music. I got a bunch of lyrics but no music. When I would go and try to make some kind of riff or progression...it would always end up being s***. I find that I make WAY better songs when i'm with my band or even with friends.

How can I get over this? I would like to make something and then bring it to my band so we have something to work off.

Please Help
lol...

There's a really easy way to write songs. There's actually a set of steps to follow and everything.
Quote by Bristlehead
There's a really easy way to write songs. There's actually a set of steps to follow and everything.

If you want to make dull and unimaginative music, yes.

Maybe you need something to spark your creativity. Perhaps a sampler, or a cheap old synthesizer.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
When I cant come up with anything I usually get insperation from my favorite bands famous gigs on Youtube or actually go to one

If you check out local bands and find that you're thighter or as good as them then that boosts my creativity

Or you can just listen to songs learn them then kinda go of on somehting else and just play guitar for a long time and eventually you'll come up with somehting by the end of the week or month
If you can't come up with anything good, then don't write anything. Forcing yourself is not a good way to make music. Just wait until you can play with your friends again and let the music come naturally, the outcome will be a lot more satisfying.
Study music theory, that helps me. Or learn a new instrument, and use it. The tone hopes to spark my imagination. But I find that the key to a song is the bassline. If you can write a catchy bassline, you can write a good song.
"If faith is the answer we've already reached it
and if spirits a sign, then it's only a matter of time"
Quote by Tantalus
But I find that the key to a song is the bassline. If you can write a catchy bassline, you can write a good song.

True. Also having a good groove on the drums is mighty important.
If you want to write music then you have to know some theory - not loads, just the basics like the notes on the fretboard, major scale, chord construction...stuff like that. Otherwise you're just floundering round in the dark wasting time discovering things through trial and error that people put down on paper for you several hundred years ago.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Muphin
If you want to make dull and unimaginative music, yes.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with verse chorus verse chorus bridge chorus structure.

You just have to keep at it. You'll write a ton of stuff that isn't very good and then you'll get an idea. Most of your stuff will not be very good.

But when you say that you make better stuff with your friends, is it that you make a lot of cool riffs, or you guys or your bandmates make cool stuff?

Anyway, writing riffs just might not be your thing, in which case, you can write lyrics for your band, therefore, getting girls (which is why we all started playing in the first place, anyway).
^^ Yeah, but if you only follow steps, more than the structure will be unoriginal.

As far as I'm concerned, form doesn't have to be original. Sometimes it helps, but while melody and harmony can get boring if they are blatant rip-offs of other songs, the form is really just the structure. Everyone has the same bone structure, its the outside of the body that makes them good looking.
"If faith is the answer we've already reached it
and if spirits a sign, then it's only a matter of time"
^Or less-than-good-looking

TS, if you know some theory and keep writing riffs, you'll get better. For me, the main thing is that I need to be inspired. Like BGC said, a lot of the stuff you write will be stuff you don't like, especially if you force it out of yourself just for the sake of writing a riff or lyrics. Get up and go out. Take a walk. Read a book. Get inspired. It'll help a lot.
Practice makes perfect. Just jam around...I imagine you probably put too much pressure on you to write amazing stuff. Just think, Linkin Park have rubbish riffs and it still works for them.
Hey i'm wondering if this happens to more people than just me..
A hell of a lot of the time when i write songs, i do it at like 3 in the morning. Thats when its best for me fer some reason. The music comes naturally, and the lyrics take a bit of work. When i finish and i'm satisfied i go to sleep. And when i wake up i play the song it sounds so GAY! I think it sounds so fu*king cheesy and then i get all pissed off
Quote by gallagher2006
Whats a Steve Vai? Floyd Rose ripoff?

Quote by Mr. Twelve
Behold...the Arctopus are obviously music. I don't see how anyone could say they're not music compared to many modern and post-modern composers. That being said, I think B...tA are terrible.
thx guys......i kinda am putting presure on myself because I want to have a song ready.
I always play the same kind of stuff, so i'll take all your advice and learn a little more theory and try and get inspired from my fav. bands.
I always write the best when I´m very angry about something or somebody. and when I want to make a rif I just start going crazy on my guitar and then I here something cool an try to play it that´s how I do it my friends al think it really good what i make (lyrics and the music) hoop I helpt you man good luck just keep on going
Quote by kirkadolph
Hey i'm wondering if this happens to more people than just me..
A hell of a lot of the time when i write songs, i do it at like 3 in the morning. Thats when its best for me fer some reason. The music comes naturally, and the lyrics take a bit of work. When i finish and i'm satisfied i go to sleep. And when i wake up i play the song it sounds so GAY! I think it sounds so fu*king cheesy and then i get all pissed off

yeah i do. i HATE it. i think i'm half asleep workin the stuff out, so im not fully aware of how ****ty it is. but i feel so much more imaginative at that time : /

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
There is absolutely nothing wrong with verse chorus verse chorus bridge chorus structure.

There's nothing wrong with it, it's just painfully recycled. For people like me that's a huge red flag because I want to create music with as few boundaries as possible.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation