alright dudes it's pretty much straight forward but i have small hands, you think i'm able to play bass guitar?

i'm going to make a band when school starts around and i just don't want to be a guitarists anymore, theres too many out there. (but it's not like i've quit electric guitar for good, hell i'm even gonna customize it)

i've always loved the bass's sound, and ever since i got that digitech rp250 pedal for my guitar (trust me it's a good pedal but it's hard to play it live), i've been using the "guitar>bass" which changes the pitch of the guitar to make it sound like a bass.

and yeah, that bass players appreciation column inspired me to do this all

also what are good basses, theres a local shop here that sells only yamaha's that look really nice for around $200 - $400. it's pretty cheap and they look nice too.

but yeah, i can also go to other general music stores and look up their basses there.
Well, unless your hands are REALLY small you should be able to play. Just don't get a 36" scale :P

And if you don't have an amp, you need to get a bass amp. Using a bass through a guitar amp will most likely end up with you feeling very sad inside.

And if you don't have to buy an amp, the Fender MIM series is only slightly above your budget, but if you want to go for a different brand, Schecter, Ibanez, ESP, Peavey, and Cort are also brands to look at.

But please for the love of god don't get an Epiphone.
Of course you can play with small hands. It might actually be easier, since you don't have to do some crazy streches for wierd chords and such.

Good Basses.

Squire Vintage Modified Jazz or Precision Bass. They're sicknasty.

Most of the other manufacturer's make a decent starter bass. Except Epiphone. Don't get an Epiphone. Neck dive, bad tone. Yuck.
actually i'm thinking of getting an ESP or a Jackson because those were my favorite brands using for electric guitars.
I have bigger hands then a lot of my friends, but I'm still small. I'm like 5'5". Of course your hands stretch out a bit from playing... but I bought an Ibanez bass because Fender basses were just too big. I played a Precision bass and the neck just didn't do it for me. The frets are just too big for me.

Either way, for $400 is you can get some good stuff, assuming $400 doesn't mean your budget for the amp and bass together. Ibanez has some amazing basses for the price... I play an Ibanez SRX300, and I absolutely love it. I use DR Hi-Beams on it and some 30w Peavey amp, and I absolutely love my tone. I like my bass much more than anything I've played under $600, including a $550 Schecter.

Warwick makes a Rockbass for like $400 or something, and MIM Fenders are around $400 as well. My local Guitar Center sells them for like $375, so look into that.

And the bass setting on that pedal sounds like crap compared to a real bass. You'll be really impressed with an actual bass if you like that sound.
2006 Warwick
MASTODON
what's a nice scale for me because i'm 5" feet straight and i really don't want to look like a 8 year old holding a big ass bass.
Your username causes me to dislike you and believe you to be closeminded. You should get a Daisy Rock bass, then you wouldn't look like an 8 year old kid. Instead you would look like an 11 year old girl. Thats better right?
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
ah alright then.
well i used to like rap back in 6th grade, then i got into good rock and roll and heavy metal.
i have experienced rap but i love rock, so that doesn't make me close minded.

you can't judge me by just a created user name.
just relax.
Last edited by rap_sucks at Aug 3, 2007,
Quote by rap_sucks
alright dudes it's pretty much straight forward but i have small hands, you think i'm able to play bass guitar?

Yes you will be able to play. Even for a female bass player I have small hands and I manage quite nicely. You will have to work on your stretches a bit more than most, but its completely doable.

Quote by rap_sucks
i'm going to make a band when school starts around and i just don't want to be a guitarists anymore, theres too many out there. (but it's not like i've quit electric guitar for good, hell i'm even gonna customize it)

Playing both bass and guitar is possible, but one is going to dominate. When you first play bass, you are going to going to have to woodshed a bit more on the bass than you imagine. There are some similarities but there are some significant differences.

Quote by rap_sucks
i've always loved the bass's sound, and ever since i got that digitech rp250 pedal for my guitar (trust me it's a good pedal but it's hard to play it live), i've been using the "guitar>bass" which changes the pitch of the guitar to make it sound like a bass.

and yeah, that bass players appreciation column inspired me to do this all

also what are good basses, theres a local shop here that sells only yamaha's that look really nice for around $200 - $400. it's pretty cheap and they look nice too.

but yeah, i can also go to other general music stores and look up their basses there.

For a beginner bass--its the triune: Fender (Squire), Ibanez or Yahama. They all have good starter to intermediate basses, but there are significant differences in their construction and playing. Try out a bunch, you will find one that when it sits in your hands, you play it and it feels perfect.

Welcome to the low end...! Its a great place to be.
you should be able to use a bass. get a short scale though (around 30 in.) the guitar neck is actually wider than a bass neck.
?
Quote by SnowMan1
you should be able to use a bass. get a short scale though (around 30 in.) the guitar neck is actually wider than a bass neck.

do not get a short scale bass. the neck is just as wide, just shorter. they lack the bottom end that a 34" has. don't try to scale down your bass, to fit your mental image, of what is normal. get the biggest dang bass you can find(fenderjazz), and rock.