I'm planning on selling my crappy spider III 75 watt amp, and saving up from my job and other stuff to get a decent tube amp. Now a 30 watt tube amp would be big enough for small gigs right? I play with a Epiphone Les Paul classic, and after i got the amp was also considering a pickup change. right now im mostly concerned about getting a new amp. I play mostly metal (Lamb of God, Mastodon, Shadows Fall type stuff) as well as classic rock (Zep, AC/DC, Aerosmith) I'm looking for something that can handle my band practice and small gigs well. I was considering the Fender Hot Rod Delux, The Palomino V32, or the Peavy ValveKing 212. What would you guys recommend, out of those 3 or any other amps within the $500-$700 range. As for pickups I'd like to get ones that could give clean tones, jazzy type, as well as pinch harmonics, and real heavy metal, chunky palm muted type stuff real well. I was thinking of the Duncan Sh-5 custom for the bridge and the duncan sh-2n jazz for the neck. Any other suggestions for a new amp and pickups? Any help is highly appreciated Ohh and i was also thinking about Laney amps but they're a little pricey and would like to try one but there no places are here where i could so i'm not to sure about them.
Equipment:
Epiphone Les Paul Classic Quiltop
Line 6 Spider III 75W Combo (For Sale )
Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95 (For Sale

Looking for:
Blackheart Little Giant Half-stack
valveking. if u need metal, valveking. Hot Rod won't handle them, Palomino is great, but u'd need an overdrive pedal.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
valveking. if u need metal, valveking. Hot Rod won't handle them, Palomino is great, but u'd need an overdrive pedal.

You won't get metal on a Valve King without an OD too.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Crate V32 Palomino and Peavey Classic 30 are great amps. You will need a pedal though for metal, but the Classic 30 can nail the Led Zep tones. And they're both 30w, which is good for a gig. I wouldn't go with a ValveKing though, I don't think they're that good.
Well I don't mind getting pedals, thats kind of a given for me. What would you recommend for a good metal pedal?
Equipment:

Looking for:
Id get the crate and a overdrive pedal, like tubescreamer. The valveking is a decent budget amp, but the crate is full blown tube greatness.
How is the tube screamer could it handle metal stuff well? and yeah i was thinking about the crate. What about a peavey classic 30?
Equipment:

Looking for:
Quote by slipknot6665
How is the tube screamer could it handle metal stuff well? and yeah i was thinking about the crate. What about a peavey classic 30?

I have only used the ts9 with a crate, the 15 watt version. It did decent metal sounds, i couldnt crank it but it sounded ok. I wouldnt expect death metal distortion out of it but still pretty heavy when eq'd right. I have no experiance with a classic 30 other then maybe 5 mins of screwing around, wait for somebody else for a opinion on that but i dont think you can go wrong with a crate. Or even better, the crate head with a avatar 212
If metal is the bulk of what you do, maybe you should be looking at the B-52 or Randall.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
b-52 AT series.

also, check out used peaveys on ebay, 5150 or an ultra should work.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Btw, I don't spell it doughnut, because that spells duff-nut.
Okay, I've heard a lot of good stuff about B-52's too. Next time I got to Guitar Center I'll try it out.
Equipment:

Looking for:
I have the Valveking 112 combo. The cleans on the Valveking are decent but they would probably not satisfy a dedicated jazz player. Most metal players use pedals for distortion. I don't know if it would sound good at dimed volume for metal as the speaker is good for classic rock and blues but is questionable for metal. Some metal players are totally satisfied with it. I don't play metal but I recommend it for players of my genre. It is powerful enough that you should not have to dime it. Any thing more than 30 watts tube is going to deafen you. Try the Valveking but your best bet is the used market. I would think The Crate would be a little better option than the Fender for metal. I like the sound of the VK for what I play much better than the B52 112 (I used to have two of them.)
alright i'll take that in mind. thanks i'll try that when i get a chance. i just really need to go up to a music store and toy around with these amps for a while
Equipment:

Looking for:
As somebody who owns a b52, there good amps. There sound isnt going to make you say "OMFG this is the greatest amp i have ever heard EVER EVER!". However it will make you think that you got a good versitle amp for a lower price because you gave it a chance. I personally would take the b52 at series over the crate, because i play alot of metal. the b52 also have good cleans, better than something like a 5150 but the crate would be comparable, if not better for clean playing. Im in love with the distortions and cleans i can get though on the amp. Reverb is lacking, so id recomend a pedal. a overdrive is not really needed with the b52 unless you like that particular sound.

Also, the b52 at212 has the features of the head version, which is what i have. I hear the at112 dosent have as many features.
Jeez 100 watts tube for only $750? I'd have to save forever for that but it looks nice. I probably don't need that much now though. 30-50 watts would do me just fine. But i want a new amp so bad. I'm so sick of the Spider III.
Equipment:

Looking for:
Last edited by slipknot6665 at Aug 3, 2007,
A good versatile amp for metal, 3 channel all tube design, get on eBay and check out a Peavey Ultra- this is the amp that evolved into the triple XXX. I owned a 4-10 combo, and that amp was sweet. I have played a bunch of great gear, and I own a rig that *for me* is the Grail. If I wasn't able to get into my current rig, I would be alright with another Ultra based rig. Good stuff.
They can be had cheap, they are AMERICAN made, and they will SMOKE any valve king.
Dont take my word for it though- go check out Harmony Central, or ask around.

Laskyman
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Roadster 212
Ibanez RG3120/ PL1770
GT8 (via 4CM)
Radtone Harmonic Converger
Thanks dude, I'll check out Harmony Central and look on ebay, i saw some XXX's pretty well prices before when i was looking.
Equipment:

Looking for:
Dude, dont forget Craig's list. You can find BETTER equipment for CHEAPER than E-bay.

I got my Mesa MKIII for $640 with all new tubes and a road case.
My Band

Equipment:
ESP EC-500 EMG 81/85
Mesa Boogie MK III
Marshall 1960B cab