K, I've been playing the guitar for less than a year, and I just need to know...

I'm an acoustic player interested in writing his own material, but I don't really know where to start...

Like making a rhythm, a melody, and especially licks/riffs.

Any tips?
Quote by Duke of Wasabi
well it depends on what style youre aiming for...

Kinda looking into the Jazz/Pop/R&B style, if you know who Gabe Bondoc is, you'll know what I' talking about...
I'd just buy one of those books or find a site that tells you what chord is in what key and such then find a few that sound nice together and go from there aye
OPTIMUS PRIME
Quote by itsgian
Kinda looking into the Jazz/Pop/R&B style, if you know who Gabe Bondoc is, you'll know what I' talking about...

start with melody/bass/riff/drum beat..

if u start with melody, try to find its riff then continued with bass n so on..

moreover, get a guitar-pro or tuxguitar
Quote by nia_riot
start with melody/bass/riff/drum beat..

if u start with melody, try to find its riff then continued with bass n so on..

moreover, get a guitar-pro or tuxguitar

penguin . My favourite though is powertab, maybe becaus it's really simple. Guitar Pro is good and you can have drums and different tracks. You can do all this in tuxguitar but it has a strange look that is really annoying.

Power and tux are free. Guitar pro costs money.
Usually when I write music, I just kinda mess around and come up with something. Don't push it to hard however, just kinda let it flow naturally. This can really let your influences show. The best riffs and songs (in my humble opinion) are made on accident.
Quote by Silent_Jester13
This is the biggest collection of ADD i've ever seen.
Checkout my 'What Chords To Use' page and that might help - it will show you a way to determine sets of chords that work well together.

Once you've got a set of chords, then maybe start playing around with single notes around / from those chords to come up with riffs / licks.

Hope that helps :-)
What is a scale? How to work out scales.. What chords to use.. What are modes & where to find them.. ALL CAN BE FOUND AT www.robinmay.co.uk

PLUS - free backing tracks!!
Quote by itsgian
K, I've been playing the guitar for less than a year, and I just need to know...

I'm an acoustic player interested in writing his own material, but I don't really know where to start...

Like making a rhythm, a melody, and especially licks/riffs.

Any tips?
Don't be silly. You don't MAKE them. They're already made. You just have to hear them in your head, and learn to play them on your guitar.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.