Bands are named after the vocalist ?

It's more common in pop music

but I hate it because it only gives honour to the vocalist

who couldn't do **** if he didn't have a guitarist, bassist and drummer backing him up

Thats why i think Ozzy Osbourne should name his band Black Sabbath or something.

(BTW how do you get a profile picture and stuff like that ?)
I don't hate it.. but I do thinks it's unoriginal

--------------------
-------------------
------------------
-----------------
----------------
---------------

Well, if it's headed by a main dominant figure, then it is technically his/her solo works performed by a band.
Quote by Masochist_Lust
Most pop singers change their band all the time and don't have a permanent band.

Exactly. The band members are hired for performance, not composition.
Also, Ozzy left Sabbath, which is now Heaven and Hell, correct me if I'm wrong
Yup. I also hate it when people say 'who SINGS that song...' when they ask what band plays it.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
In the past the "vocalist" was the main song writer so credit was deserved to him i.e. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Tom Cochrane and Red Rider. So no it doesn't really bother me

I'd actually prefer if the people who wrote most of the music were credited more i.e. Billy Corgan and the Smashing Pumpkins, Daron Malakian and the System of a Down would actually be more accurate to me.
Last edited by Scooch at Aug 3, 2007,
Quote by 3lusiv3
Also, Ozzy left Sabbath, which is now Heaven and Hell, correct me if I'm wrong

Currently Heaven and Hell now, yes. And yes, they are touring the Aus. And yes, I will see them with Down opening.

If an artist writes all his/her own music and has a backing band for performance, I think that's fair enough. But collective efforts should have a band name. And pop stars shouldn't exist.
PIT-DWELLER

Member #1 - UG RIP Cliff Burton Club: 11 members!! (PM Me to join).
Member #6 - Official Angus Young Fan Club.
Member #4 - RATM Club.
Member #4 - 'Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy' club
Last edited by RememberMyName at Aug 3, 2007,
Quote by neverserious88
bon jovi sucks.

case and point.

Bon Jovi wasn't originally Jon Bon Jovi's last name though....his last name was Bongiovi, but he changed it after he had a falling out wiith his father...

And theres deffinately worse bands out there, Richie Sambora is an excellent guitarist
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Well, the singers do write all of the songs except for a select few singers.
Sent from my iPad.
i think thats reserved for a frontman or whoever writes the songs
and it's also good for people who switch out their players like most country artist
and i like bon jovi
Quote by Bloodshed
Bon Jovi wasn't originally Jon Bon Jovi's last name though....his last name was Bongiovi, but he changed it after he had a falling out wiith his father...

And theres deffinately worse bands out there, Richie Sambora is an excellent guitarist

There is like.. No excuse for knowing that much about Bon Jovi, man.

Anyway, what's the big deal? Who cares if Frank Zappa labels his band The Frank Zappa Band, or Neil Young does Neil Young and the Stray Gators?
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by whalepudding
Yup. I also hate it when people say 'who SINGS that song...' when they ask what band plays it.

But what if they ask who plays it, and you answer them with the name of the guitar and bass player and the drummer
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
Quote by neverserious88
bon jovi sucks.

case and point.

Quote by Jack Off Jill
There is like.. No excuse for knowing that much about Bon Jovi, man.

Anyway, what's the big deal? Who cares if Frank Zappa labels his band The Frank Zappa Band, or Neil Young does Neil Young and the Stray Gators?

Bon Jovi are the best band ever. You guys both love them, you're just in denial.

In fact, to quote another: 'there are two types of people in the world: those who like Bon Jovi, and those who don't admit it.'
I dunno man.. He gets played at times when I'm at work, and everytime that happens I truly do want to put a gun to my head.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I dunno man.. He gets played at times when I'm at work, and everytime that happens I truly do want to put a gun to my head.

But 'Living On A Prayer' is the ultimate drunk singalong song, matched only by 'Wonderwall'.
Its often the singers solo project, so it is named after them. I mean, do you complain that Steve Vai's band is just said to be playing for Steve Vai?

Also, sometimes the singer may be the focus of the band (a lot of pop artists) even if others contribute a lot; they rely on the front man or woman to get attention.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Everyone knows that everyone worth listening to doesn't need to name their band after themself to play good.

Exceptions include Van Halen, because there are 2 of them, and Jimi Hendrix, because that's pretty much the choice he was given.

I don't like it when people ***** themselves out just to get that credit of having their name up there. If I'm headlining at a stadium, I'd like the audience to know that there's a whole band who deserves credit, not just one guy.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by saintjimmy99
Iggy & The Stooges

/thread failure

As much as I love the Stooges, the only album that they are credited as Iggy & the Stooges is Raw Power, which IMO is their worst album. Not to mention, I think David Bowie pressured them into adding Iggy's name. Plus Ron Asheton doesn't play guitar on Raw Power
^ Touch her boobies while she sleeps, it's the next best thing, and I have done it many times.
Well if one person composes the songs, don't they have every right to perform under their own name?
I have this on my "As a musician and guitarist, what do I hate" list. I really hate it. Except if this singer can play an instrument, maybe i would hate it less.
I don't agree with this practice either. Most people don't even think about the band; they just think about the lead vocalist.