hey guys, i'm pretty new to home recording, as far as multi-track recorders and such go.

i'm just wondering what the advantages and disadvantages of a few things.

something like...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fostex-MR16HDCD-16-Track-Digital-Recorder-with-CD-Burner?sku=701049

or something like...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Digidesign-Mbox-2-Mini-?sku=700498

the way i see it, you can do all the mixing on the first one, but the second one you'd need a computer program to do it.

can you guys just tell me the advantages and disadvantages of each type of set up?
and what else i would need to buy to go with them.
Gibson Les Paul Studio, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50, Fender Cab, Dr. Scientist Cosmichorus, Catalinbread Semaphore Tremolo, Boss DD-6, Boss SD-1, Dunlop JH-1B, Takamine EG 530 SSC
yeah id definately go with the fostex. i have the fostex mr8 which is pretty much the same but with less tracks and features and it gets the job done pretty well (except the drums sound ****ty, but you shouldnt have that problem with the mr16.) plus it has the onboard cd burner, so yeah, you can do all the mixing on the device itself and burn the cd right from it. my friend has a recording device similar to the other one, and its just a big hassle to record, plus you have to buy a whole bunch of other ****. as far as the fostex goes, to record youll need the basic equipment (whatever your looking to record) plus xlr mic cables, headphones, and possibly a monitor if you want to hear what you recorded out loud. i see it comes with a free condenser mic which is a good ass deal considering its one of the best mics out there (i own the same one.) youll need a pop filter if you want to use the condenser mic tho, becuase if you get the inside of the mic wet just a bit it could ruin it, plus it stops the popping sounds. other than that i think thats all you should need
wow derekmichael, thanks a lot for that. thats basically everything i was looking for.

one more thing, fostex also makes a model identical to the one above, except without a cd burner. will it be much of a hassle putting stuff from it onto my computer?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fostex-MR16HD-16Track-Digital-Recorder?sku=701051
Gibson Les Paul Studio, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50, Fender Cab, Dr. Scientist Cosmichorus, Catalinbread Semaphore Tremolo, Boss DD-6, Boss SD-1, Dunlop JH-1B, Takamine EG 530 SSC
i chose to get mine without the cd burner and save an extra hundred bucks. its very simple to transfer the music onto a computer, all you need is the right usb cable (which kinda pissed me off because mine didnt come with it and i had to spend an extra 30 bucks for the cable, but oh well)
oh, i forgot one thing. if you want to get the monitors im pretty sure youll need 2 of them, one for left and right (im not 100% sure tho because i dont have any monitors in my setup, i just use the headphones)
i would go for the mixer. I really like using mixers myself Its a brilliant deal getting that mic as well i think, will get you started deffinantly! Of course as derek said get the pop filter and stand of course i would also really recommend the shure sm57, i feel it is a must buy! it does everything! Drums (snare especially) micing guitar amps. With that condenser and the dynamic (sm57) youve got the grounds of micing covered i feel. Try and get the likes of pro tools and all also in the future maybe i find it great for editing

for more help check out www.tweakheadz.com
maybe so...maybe so young one.

Quote by Friggly
"But just PRETEND i'm not your sister"

Quote by dingmydong
I'm gonna start reffering to the female reproductive organ as the scarlet monastery now

Quote by derekmichael
oh, i forgot one thing. if you want to get the monitors im pretty sure youll need 2 of them, one for left and right (im not 100% sure tho because i dont have any monitors in my setup, i just use the headphones)

You don't have to have two, but why wouldn't you, unless you plan to mix in mono.