I'm using Cubase LE. I have all my levels set to where they need to be and adjust the master level as loud as I can get it without red lining but when I export the song it us just way to quite. You have to really crank the volume on your stereo to hear it. What am I doing wrong?
Quote by bsantos_5
I'm using Cubase LE. I have all my levels set to where they need to be and adjust the master level as loud as I can get it without red lining but when I export the song it us just way to quite. You have to really crank the volume on your stereo to hear it. What am I doing wrong?

misspelling quiet
Yeah so I misspelled it. I think I found the answer to my question also. I didn't master the song. I just got all the levels set, then exported it as a wave file. I probably shouldn't attempt to master it myself so my next question would be how can I export it and give it to someone to master it for me? The wave file I exported just meshes all the tracks together right? So I'd need a way of exporting it so they could seperate out the tracks and do their thing wouldn't I? I could be way off on my thinking there as I know very little about recording and nothing about mastering.
well after its mixed down (mastering is a different process) you can still apply FX and amplification to the wav before it hits your stereo.

for added oomph i usually add a little hard limiting to my tunes before burning it to CD.

hard limiting allows you too boost volume while holding the peaks down which prevents clipping.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
the problem with hard limiting, which i'll admit that i do, is that it cuts off any frequencies outside of the range you set them to. so there's a chance that if you boost the level too much or cut it off too soon, you'll really hear the song soften up in certain parts and you'll just know there's something missing.

if that makes any sense at all aha
hug your local pug dealer!
Quote by bsantos_5

Look into mastering:

Part 1:
http://www.legendarytones.com/mastering101pt1.html

Part 2:
http://www.legendarytones.com/masteringpt2.html

For reference sake, I’ll assume that the recording is spot on. Everything is clear, instruments are in tune, mix is perfect, EQ is pleasant. You get the idea, BUT….even so, the songs and recording:

Compress and EQ your songs and you'll notice a huge difference right on the spot.
with some time mastering by yourself you'll get some great sounds out of your recordings.
Great articles Moody. Thanks a lot. So can I master a track in Cubase or Cakewalk Sonar or do you need mastering software?